Who ya gonna call? clearance delivery...

The AFD says “CLEARANCE DELIVERY PHONE: For CD ctc Washington ARTCC at
703-771-3587.”

Are you sure your downloads are up to date? If so, maybe a problem with Avare?
...and in that case, you don't really have to use it unless the
"CLNC DEL 124.85"​
frequency is not working.

[there are a number of nontowered airports with CD frequencies which also have the phone number, probably because there are times the frequency has interference, but that's just a guess)

The AFD says “CLEARANCE DELIVERY PHONE: For CD ctc Washington ARTCC at
703-771-3587.”

Are you sure your downloads are up to date? If so, maybe a problem with Avare?
Yes, up to date; 18 jul-15 aug...
Avare AFD lists fss phone as 800-992-7433
...and in that case, you don't really have to use it unless the
"CLNC DEL 124.85"​
frequency is not working.

[there are a number of nontowered airports with CD frequencies which also have the phone number, probably because there are times the frequency has interference, but that's just a guess)
Ah, I see it on the plate now. thanks
Was looking at AFD and decided to depart VFR as it was clear and I couldn't locate the new number on Avare.

Well, in the old days, before mobile phones, you called from a payphone or the FBO phone for a void time, then hustled to your plane and hustled to the runway to get off before your void time expired. I haven't been to too many airports I can think of where I didn't get adequate mobile phone reception.
The last time I was at 89D (Kelleys Island, OH) back in 2013 or so, I had no service at all. There are a few out here in New England, but so far I have not had a problem since the only one where I've needed a clearance where cell service wasn't available (KLCI Laconia NH) also has a CD freq. with ZBW that is usable from the ground.

In NorCal this isn't gong very smoothly, yet.

Last weekend, I tried to get a clearance out of EDU for HAF and it took 4 phone numbers, beginning with the one published.

In NorCal this isn't gong very smoothly, yet.

Last weekend, I tried to get a clearance out of EDU for HAF and it took 4 phone numbers, beginning with the one published.

Can you reach Travis on the ground there?

just a student, but what happens if you have a cellphone that wont work in that area?
Same as before. The clearances were still issued by phone, it's just that before you got a relay through FSS.

If you can't talk to ATC direct at the time you takeoff, you get a void time clearance. If you can't contact the facility by phone or radio (possibly with a GCO/RCO) and it's low enough IFR to preclude a VFR departure, you don't go.

Yesterday I was returning from Grosse Ile, MI. Looked at the AFD and saw a GCO phone number, so not one of those with a new numbet. Sure enough, as I expected, comments on various sites and my app indicated it didn't work. Checked another nearby nontowered and found a number for Detroit Approach. Piece of cake.

I don’t know what’s going on in the Cleveland area, but we’re getting spammed with NOTAMs saying for airports near Akron/Canton, Cleveland will not issue clearances when Akron/Canton is open. Which is exactly what the A/FD says. But every airport in the area has at least one NOTAM to that effect.

TTA still calls out the old clearance number. They direct me to Raleigh, Raleigh then directs me to call Washington Center. It’s a total mess.

I would guess that they are tired of pilots calling up on the published phone number for ZOB during the day and added it to the NOTAMs to try to get their attention that they are calling the wrong facility.

Back