Who installs altimeters?

Robin Hood

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Robin Hood
Who is qualified to install an altimeter? Does it have to be an avionics guy or simply an A&P?

an A&P can do it....but then it needs to be re-certified by someone with the equipment (leak check - static check)....usually an avionics shop.

an A&P can do it....but then it needs to be re-certified by someone with the equipment (leak check - static check)....usually an avionics shop.
Only if you're flying IFR in controlled airspace.

Only at the next required inspection.

Who can install one? Practically anybody.

Who can return it to service? Practically anybody but it is dependent on the certification basis of the aircraft. Is it EAB, E-LSA, S-LSA, Type Certificated? So, A&P is not necessarily a requirement. It can also be a repairman or simply anyone if it's experimental aircraft.

Who can sign off the 91.411? Limited to an appropriately rated repair station.

Show me that in 43 or 91.
Your both right. There are two parts of far 43 appendix e that apply at different times. Toms right in that the altimeter only needs to be inspected as per far43 appendix e at its next inspection. However, for IFR ops 91.411 requires that paragraph a of far 43 appendix e needs to be done any time the system is opened. Paragraph a pertains to the static system leak check.

Your both right. There are two parts of far 43 appendix e that apply at different times. Toms right in that the altimeter only needs to be inspected as per far43 appendix e at its next inspection. However, for IFR ops 91.411 requires that paragraph a of far 43 appendix e needs to be done any time the system is opened. Paragraph a pertains to the static system leak check.

Nope, you're still wrong, two ways.

1. 91.411 only applies to IFR within controlled airspace.

2. Appendix E only applies to inspections required by 91.411. If you never fly IFR (in controlled airspace), you never have to comply with appendix E either.

Nope, you're still wrong, two ways.

1. 91.411 only applies to IFR within controlled airspace.

2. Appendix E only applies to inspections required by 91.411. If you never fly IFR (in controlled airspace), you never have to comply with appendix E either.

So how often do you fly IFR in uncontrolled airspace?

:dunno:

Yeah... that's what I thought.

I stated it because if I left it out, someone else was sure to mention it. My bigger point is appendix E doesn't apply to annuals which unsafervguy implied.

I stated it because if I left it out, someone else was sure to mention it. My bigger point is appendix E doesn't apply to annuals which unsafervguy implied.
No I did not imply it, all I implied is that we were talking about aircraft subject to 91.411 as I assumed everyone was.

It's actually quite common for the altimeter to get overhauled/bench checked/certified at an appropriately rated instrument repair facility. Subsequently, the newly certified instrument is reinstalled by a mechanic with an airframe rating with a static system leak check to be performed by the same mechanic. I know that at least the Cessna maintenance manual describes a simple method that a mechanic can use to determine if the system is adequately leak free...

Back