Who has honeybees? I really love my bees.

Foraging bees will not sting or bother u 99% of the time. They are mission oriented and task saturated. You can even touch them on a flower and they will likely just fly away...not get to the hive entrance and try that and :yikes:

The thing is, for most people who don't know anything about honeybees, it sounds like stings are normally self-inflicted.

People have enough sense to stay away from hives unless they stumble across a wild swarm or hive. For the most part, the interaction with bees happens in the garden or around flowers. The places where people are working in their yards, then see bees, then start swatting at them.

If the bees really are foraging, and very unlikely to do anything to you, then just ignoring them is best?

If the bees really are foraging, and very unlikely to do anything to you, then just ignoring them is best?

Yep that is best. Swatting at them won't do much. Now sometimes they come to you and check you out but don't have the intent to harm. They die when they sting so they only sting if they feel there life or hive is in danger. Yeah..I know what bees think. Hahaha not! But in the garden let them do there thing, they won't bother you.

It's also the best time to capture some macro shots as well.

The thing is, for most people who don't know anything about honeybees, it sounds like stings are normally self-inflicted

Some stings are self inflicted..I wouldn't get stung if I left them alone. It's part of keeping bees. But I believe some people think they see a honey bee and they will get stung. That is not true.

Yellow jackets on the other hand....whew they attack for no reason and can keep on stinging. Some people might not even be able to tell the difference between the two.

Some stings are self inflicted..I wouldn't get stung if I left them alone. It's part of keeping bees. But I believe some people think they see a honey bee and they will get stung. That is not true.

Yellow jackets on the other hand....whew they attack for no reason and can keep on stinging. Some people might not even be able to tell the difference between the two.

I know that bumble bees aren't the same thing as honey bees, but those suckers are aggressive. I rolled over an in-the-ground nest with my tractor, and got swarmed and stung.

I was wondering that too. I see bees around here in the summer but I have no idea where they live or what they do in the winter.
Spend the winter in Arizona along with the other snow bunnies?

Some years ago I had a cottage here in Quebec, just north of the Vermont border.....we planted a nice little perennial garden....man we had so many bees and hummingbirds around it was a better show than anything on tv. The bees really loved the bee-balm plants:idea: it was amazing. Unfortunately it appears to me that honey-bee numbers in my area are down big time...it makes me very uneasy.

As noted above, honeybees are very gentle away from the hive unless you accidently pinch one picking up some hive equipment AFTER removing gloves back at the shop. Sorry little girl. That was my only sting this year so far. Once last year from eating an orange too close to the hive in August. They get a little testy from late summer on near certain hives. Smoke, white clothing, thin or no gloves, move slowly, no red colors and work them from 10-2 on sunny no/low wind days and they usually are nice.

Been a beek for a bunch of years. I could hit up Google Earth and probably figure out how long(ish). They're in my suburban backyard.

8 frame mediums but I also have 2 of Dennis's design top bar hives sitting empty. All natural - including comb. Top entrances.

Haven't visited beesource in quite a while. Probably should to see how my old tailgater buds are doing. (sheesh, that last sentence can go in a few directions)

I usually get the biggest wows when I start explaining all the jobs that are going on in the hive. Like the fact that none of the workers that are working so hard to put up stores for winter have ever seen a winter. They know when to cap the honey. Some leave to get water and others pollen and others nectar - pretty much the right amount right when it is needed.

I hate getting stung neck up. It always makes my eyes swell. Stung on the chin/neck/forehead - eyes swell, so I always at least have a veil but usually put my suit on. I got my first sting in the second year (forehead, didn't wear any protection back then) showing my cousin what comb looked like. I had the top off and was holding a frame and trying to keep my guests calm while dealing with a stinger in my head. One grumpy hive will convince you to buy a suit.

Anyway, interesting thread. :)

Yep that is best. Swatting at them won't do much. Now sometimes they come to you and check you out but don't have the intent to harm. They die when they sting so they only sting if they feel there life or hive is in danger. Yeah..I know what bees think. Hahaha not! But in the garden let them do there thing, they won't bother you.

It's also the best time to capture some macro shots as well.

Agreed!. I didn't know they had such tongues while flying until this shot. I stumbled across a swarm this spring. They were there for less than a week and then left...

Attachments

• HLR_7334-3 (Small).jpg
    HLR_7334-3 (Small).jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 15
  • HLR_7941 (Medium) (Small).jpg
    HLR_7941 (Medium) (Small).jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 10
  • HLR_7952 (Small).jpg
    HLR_7952 (Small).jpg
    138.1 KB · Views: 20
Agreed!. I didn't know they had such tongues while flying until this shot. I stumbled across a swarm this spring. They were there for less than a week and then left...
Nice pictures!

On #3 - Center and bottom center are two bees facing 12:00. Bottom, just to the right of the bottom center bee is one facing 5:00. It looks different from the others.

I just read up on Wiki - seems that drones only get a once in a lifetime date with the queen.

life of bliss for the lucky few. The rest get booted from the hive to die alone and cold when the girls decide that winter stores are more important than making new queens.

Drones do not winter.

life of bliss for the lucky few. The rest get booted from the hive to die alone and cold when the girls decide that winter stores are more important than making new queens.

Not much different from humans after all.

gah, im so allergic to bees this thread has me looking for my epi pen

Thought I'd dig this up for this really cool invention:

Crowdfunding link here: https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/flow-hive-honey-on-tap-directly-from-your-beehive

I think this is truly clever.

Most of us beekeepers are not buying into it. It is marketed to non-beeks. Nobody can tell us anything about those two Australians history. But Americans fell for the trap and forked out $2M+ in 12 hrs.

Harvesting honey can only be accomplished if one has live bees. Keeping them alive is our problem. I went into November with 11 hives. We are down to 8 now. The best things everyone could do to help are stop using poisons, grow lots of plants/trees for honeybees(list online), let your dandelions bloom, take a beek class and purchase two standard hive setups. Classes start now. Bees need to be ordered by Dec to receive in April/May. Not saying you could not find any, but would be difficult now.

My garden has lots of catmint and coreopsis. The bees are so busy with that, they let me get real close to watch them work.

Most of us beekeepers are not buying into it. It is marketed to non-beeks. Nobody can tell us anything about those two Australians history. But Americans fell for the trap and forked out $2M+ in 12 hrs.

Harvesting honey can only be accomplished if one has live bees. Keeping them alive is our problem. I went into November with 11 hives. We are down to 8 now. The best things everyone could do to help are stop using poisons, grow lots of plants/trees for honeybees(list online), let your dandelions bloom, take a beek class and purchase two standard hive setups. Classes start now. Bees need to be ordered by Dec to receive in April/May. Not saying you could not find any, but would be difficult now.

This!

I'm down to one hive. Im building some new boxes and a buddy of mine is making a nuc for me. I should have two hives again in March.

Interesting!

So do you believe this new hive idea won't work, or will be detrimental to the bees' health?

My garden has lots of catmint and coreopsis. The bees are so busy with that, they let me get real close to watch them work.

I am seeding some catmint indoors this weekend. My bees favorite herb is Anise-Hyssop or Botanical name: Agastache foeniculum. They also love my summer cover crops...Buckwheat and Crimson Clover. Their favorite trees...Maple, Tulip Poplar, Sourwood and Magnolia. I will post a list sometime. Yes, fun and relaxing to watch the girls work.

This!

I'm down to one hive. Im building some new boxes and a buddy of mine is making a nuc for me. I should have two hives again in March.

I think everyone is having some major losses this winter. I'd like to build up to 30 this year if I can. Getting into queen rearing this summer, as very few offer them locally. Good luck with the nuc. I believe that is the best way to start a new hive.

I started with plastic foundation, they always made a mess of it. Then I went all natural and got rid of plastic foundation. I try to limit plastic where I can and the bees don't use plastic in the wild so.... And this seems more like a gimmick to me, I for one enjoy getting in my bees, nothing beat the first sting of the year, that one hurts the most.

Interesting!

So do you believe this new hive idea won't work, or will be detrimental to the bees' health?

If buyers even receive them, I think they will work fine the first harvest for an experienced beek. After that, I am thinking they may have some sticking/leakage issues. Honey bees love to seal everything up with wax and propolis. With the moving parts inside the hive, what these two don't gum up, honey will. The main problem I see, is the video was targeting new beekeepers.

One really needs to learn how to fly before turning the autopilot on. We have to monitor varroa mite levels and treat as needed. We have to trap/squish small hive beetles. We have to monitor queen performance. We have to do what we can to prevent swarming. We have to ensure enough honey is left in the hive for winter. We have to inspect for diseases, viruses and other illnesses that honey bees get. We need to either buy or build from existing hives, additional hives to make up for next winters losses.

If the $300-$600 gadgets are delivered late 2015 as promised, I think we will see a bunch on ebay real cheap after summer of 2016, which will be the first chance many get used.

Mike Palmer, a very popular beek from the NE was the only person that tested one and his "paid" comment was questionable. I do hope I am wrong and all of these devices save people 95% in time as advertised. Understand that I spent two days harvesting/processing my honey last year. I still worked 363 more days beekeeping. We don't need help filling our honey jars, we need help keeping our bees alive! I have no idea what caused the loss of my 3 hives.

Crap! I thought you guys were talking about another hobby...

%20474

:dunno::D:D:D

I just ordered by first package of bees. They will be ready for pick up April 25th. I've been planning for about a year to get bees. I almost forgot to order in time. Seeing this on Wednesday reminded me in time to order. lol.

I just ordered by first package of bees. They will be ready for pick up April 25th. I've been planning for about a year to get bees. I almost forgot to order in time. Seeing this on Wednesday reminded me in time to order. lol.

You'll really enjoy it. They are a fascinating insect. Join a local bee club, buy a couple of books, fabricate your own woodenware if you can, sow some bee forage, and most important...purchase one frame of empty drawn comb from a reputable experienced beek. Your new queen can immediately take off laying eggs instead of waiting 1-2 weeks for comb to be built. At 1,500 eggs per day, you can miss out on a lot of workers at week 4 & 5. Have fun. We need more pilots and beeks.

Ok, so I will ask the question that is bugging me as I do not have a clue about this.

Where do the bees come from? Is there a place that raises bees specifically to sell them? I suppose there has to be. And how much does one spend on bees to startup a hive? And is there only a certain time of year you can get them?

David

Just remember. 77% of the bees from the "other" side of the tracks are born out of wedlock...:yikes:......:D

Well, its just how their society has evolved or devolved. Nothing can be done about it.

David

Ok, so I will ask the question that is bugging me as I do not have a clue about this.

Where do the bees come from? Is there a place that raises bees specifically to sell them? I suppose there has to be. And how much does one spend on bees to startup a hive? And is there only a certain time of year you can get them?

David

Some beeks get into a couple of hives just for better garden/flower pollination and 60-200 lbs of honey per year for the family.

Others get into additional hives either for pollination contracts(almonds, citrus, blueberries, apples, etc), sell package bees, sell nucleus hives(4 or 5 frames usually), more honey to sell wholesale/retail, sell wax or sell queens. Many do one, two or all of the above. It is farming, so hard work for very little money. It sure beats watching TV or surfing the net in one's spare time.

Depending on where you live you may be able to purchase bees from March-July and have time to get them built up for winter. My best time here in NE Ky for new bees is April/May due to lots of pollen/nectar sources. You need to order bees in Nov/Dec the year prior. A 3 lb package of bees with a mated queen usually runs $80 and up. A nuc runs $140 and up. I recommend starting with 2 complete hives for comparison purposes. You are looking at about $1000 to get started...2 complete hives(2 bottom board, 4 deep boxes, 4 shallow boxes, 2 inner covers, 2 outer covers, 20 deep frames with wax foundation, 20 shallow frames with wax foundation), 2 packages of bees or nucs, 2 beek books, hive tool, smoker, veil/jacket combo, bee gloves, hive stand materials, 50 lbs sugar and 2 feeders. You can save some by building most woodenware yourself($100).

I'd recommend visiting your local county cooperative extension service, bee club or beekeeper first.

Last edited:
Well, we made it through -21F temps with 8 out of 11 hives. All eight are out this week on cleansing flights and looking for the first pollen and nectar to raise brood on. They will probably have to wait until the sun warms everything up a little more and it quits raining. Rain tends to wash the pollen and nectar away. Looking forward to receiving three more nucs. One being a "Russian Nuc". Ha. that should get some attention from the FBI. I am planning on splitting some hives and learn how to rear queens this year.

We have our first flowering plants last week and bees are flyin'! I am encouraged.

We have our first flowering plants last week and bees are flyin'! I am encouraged.

In a few weeks most hives will be very gentle and easy to watch work just a few feet away. Of course try it with protection first. Keep us posted.

Good reminder. I need to pop open my hive to see if mine survived this brutal winter.

*sigh* First time in many years I haven't had bees.

Worked them last fall. . .one hive was really hot, but we got it worked. I turned to walk to the pickup, the hood rode up over my jacket, and here they came. Eight (8) minutes later I was passed out naked on the bathroom floor, my wife was. . .frantic. . .and the ambulance was on the way. Response time for an ambulance in rural Oklahoma is measured in half-hour increments.

Anaphylactic shock. They pulled between 30 and 40 stingers out of the back of my neck/head in the ER, and then kept me overnight because my blood pressure wouldn't come back up.

Bah.

So, I had to get rid of our hives. . .and I was sad. Liked to watch the little critters work.

Maybe someday I'll get another hive just to watch, but I won't be able to do much with them any more. I *hope* there are enough escaped swarms around to keep the garden/trees pollinated this year. It really is amazing the difference they can make in the fruit trees and garden.

Back