Who has honeybees? I really love my bees.

I was passed out naked on the bathroom floor
So, I had to get rid of our hives

Coincidentally that is how I stumbled into my hives; the prev owner was stung multiple times due to inadequate protection and suffered anaphylaxis, I had 24hrs to move em out.
I really overdo the clothing, hate stings. Probably will succumb to heat stroke instead.

('fraid to ask how you ended up naked)

I have one of this in case of the same thing happening again:

Attachments

• photo(4).JPG
    photo(4).JPG
    142.1 KB · Views: 18
My one hive made it through the winter. Out doing cleansing flights as well and bringing in red pollen. I really need to get in the hive but I need to build some new boxes first. I have a Nuc of Italians that will be ready in a few weeks, so I need to build some boxes anyway. This one hive I have is hot, will chase you a good ways. I wear a tyvek suit from Lowes. It is sting proof BUT it is not breathable. So here in the south it gets hot in it very very fast!

As some of you know I maintain flight simulators on an Air Force base. Well 2 days ago a swarm had landed on the nose cone of a T-6. I was contacted to see if I can come get them. Well things got in the way and they moved to a tree right off the flightline. So today I brought my stuff with me and with a nice audience and T-6's and T-38's flying in the background I removed the swarm from the tree. It was a good size one, maybe 5lbs..Heck that's a free $100! A 5lb package of bees cost about that. My wife has a picture of the swarm so Ill post it when I get it from her.

So what a good night, all my favorite things, I flew some simulators and caught bees on the flightline with military hardware at work to the side of me. Life is good!

Last edited:
Got my first nuc coming in 1 to 2 weeks. Hella excited!! Dont laugh, but I've read Beekeeping for Dummies and The Backyard Beekeeper, plus joined the local beekeepers association. Also have some family members with experience so should be good to go. Boxes, stand, etc have been ready for several months.
No creep intended, but I also got two hens a few weeks ago and have been getting dos eggs/day. Hope the bees work out as well as Laverne & Shirley (my chickens). Best part is I live smack dab in the middle of New Orleans. I was really surprised how many people do the urban farming thing.

Got my first nuc coming in 1 to 2 weeks. Hella excited!! Dont laugh, but I've read Beekeeping for Dummies and The Backyard Beekeeper, plus joined the local beekeepers association. Also have some family members with experience so should be good to go. Boxes, stand, etc have been ready for several months.
No creep intended, but I also got two hens a few weeks ago and have been getting dos eggs/day. Hope the bees work out as well as Laverne & Shirley (my chickens). Best part is I live smack dab in the middle of New Orleans. I was really surprised how many people do the urban farming thing.

Oh man yeah, you will enjoy it! Try to get 2 nucs, its best to start with 2 hives. We have bees, a 6000sqft greenhouse producing tomatoes now, goats, and chickens..in the smack dab middle of the country. hahaha That's cool the how the urban farming movement is picking up. Noting beats fresh eggs and honey!

We have been wanting to fly into Lake Front, never been to nawlins before and the approach over the lake looks cool! Good luck with the bees. Checkout www.beesource.com as well.

Our catmint came in very well this year. I noticed our first bee of the season on Mother's Day - a big fat bumblebee. Right now there are a couple honeybees foraging in it. I planted it next to the deck, our deck is raised, so I can lean against the rail and watch them below me.

Well, this is interesting. I ordered my first bees earlier this year and they were ready to pick up about 2 wks ago. I was all excited. Read Beekeeping for Dummies and everything...so I'm kinda an expert now. Ordered some boxes from Brushy Mountain, stained them and even coated them with fiberglass for weather proofing. Really looked nice. We live in New Orleans so it's more of a garden hive setup with a pretty copper cover. Unfortunatlely, we are having awful issues with rain leaking from our balcony / stucco so I gave the bees to my father in law who lives out in the country. Our yard is small and figured it's a bad idea to have workers doing construction with them nearby.
Anyway, the completed hive has just been sitting out on my back porch. So, here I am at work and the wife just called to inform me there are hundreds of bees going in and out of the hive. Guess I'm beekeeping this year afterall. I'll figue it out when I get home. :rolleyes:

You might have caught a swarm in your "bait hive". I have three bait hives and nothing in them yet. Prime swarm season up here in May.

Still building my colonies and making a little honey. Hoping to be up above 20 hives by fall.

It's insane! she sent me a video an hour ago with a few bees flying around, now there are thousands. Damn squatters. I'll try and put a few pictures up tonight.
Next time I'll be a little smarter and not leave it right next to the back door.

Back