Who has honeybees? I really love my bees.

I have Carniolans. All of the characteristics that you read about are true. They seem very gentle so far. I heard from an experienced guy that they need to be re-queened when they get moody. I think Carnies are not as good for hot summer climates.

I have Carniolans. All of the characteristics that you read about are true. They seem very gentle so far. I heard from an experienced guy that they need to be re-queened when they get moody. I think Carnies are not as good for hot summer climates.

I thought about requeening them. I actually like them a little testy, I think they produce more honey. The Africanized bees produce honey like nobody's business. Not that I would ever want to deal with them. No know Africanized in Mississippi but every state around us has them. I fear it's only a matter of time. First sign of that here and I'm out. I've got a few epi pens around just incase.

Have you heard of Minnesota hygienic bees?

I thought about requeening them. I actually like them a little testy, I think they produce more honey. The Africanized bees produce honey like nobody's business. Not that I would ever want to deal with them. No know Africanized in Mississippi but every state around us has them. I fear it's only a matter of time. First sign of that here and I'm out. I've got a few epi pens around just incase.

Have you heard of Minnesota hygienic bees?

I have not heard of the MN hyg bees.

My bee yard and a swarm I caught last year.

Attachments

• IMAG0199.jpg
    IMAG0199.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 61
  • IMAG0009.jpg
    IMAG0009.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 66
I just spent the last couple of hours watching youtube videos of beekeeping... The beekeeping for beginners series is pretty good, all 9 of them........

I just spent the last couple of hours watching youtube videos of beekeeping... The beekeeping for beginners series is pretty good, all 9 of them........

Yes, I liked those too.

Two new-bees in 2013...the second hive off in the distance to the left of my son's ankle.

image-1.jpg

Almost as much fun as honeybees. The whole family enjoys going places in our garage built plane. I especially enjoy the views.

My bees are bringing in pollen already! Took me by surprise. It's a yellowish grey color. I've seen dandelions so far and maybe some cedar, not sure on that but something is throwing in the greyish tint.

My two hives have plenty of stores left and are coming out for cleansing flights when OAT is above 45F and sunny this past week. It was 72F yesterday. Mine are vfr only like me. It is supposed to cool back down after the weekend. Nothing is greening up but my garlic and cover crops(wheat, rye, hairy vetch and field peas). So no pollen yet, but after a month of sub freezing temps, they seem happy. Going to a beekeeping class tomorrow. Have a good weekend!

I have always been intrigued by honey bees. It's really cool that some fellow forum members are beekeepers. I would like to know more about them, so expect inane questions from a bee novice. :D

I belong to another forum whose members are mostly in SoCal. Several times in the past posters on the forum have described finding beehives on their property and using pesticides or chemicals to kill the hives. This astounds me...the bees are losing native habitat, are under pressure from disease and predators, and these yahoos kill them.

I am under the impression that many beekeepers will capture a hive and remove it free of charge. It seems completely stupid and ignorant to just kill a hive without making any effort to save them.

A few years ago I was leaving work late in the day, drove around the side of my building and saw a funny looking blob in a tree...got some great photos.

As you can tell from the foliage on the tree it was in early spring...I guess that's when hives swarm looking for new homes.

12709883694_f28037c036_c.jpg

12709579643_8525073ded_c.jpg

12709862274_b771aa2da5_c.jpg

Don'cha need a queen to get one going?

You need a queen to get them to stay, but there needs to be a "courting period" or the old bees will kill the new queen. It is quite interesting.

I was wondering that too. I see bees around here in the summer but I have no idea where they live or what they do in the winter.

Honey bees will travel up to 5 miles away from the hive to collect nectar, pollen, and water.

I work with a guy who has hives locally and up in Northern Michigan. He says it stays pretty warm inside the hives all winter - they kill the drones and kick out the bodies then just live on the honey until spring.

You can get queens by mail.

Yep, and whole colonies with a queen.

Reading all of this both makes me really want to start a hive... and convinces me not to. Lotsa work, lots to go wrong from the sound of it. Of course it would be entertaining to see the neighbors' reactions. And although I am working hard to reduce my resemblance to Pooh, I do love my honey.

And that sticky stuff the bees make, too. :)

If anyone finds a swarm, call your local county extension agent, farm cooperative, state apiarist or state beekeeping association. They can usually recommend someone. We love swarms, especially if disease/pest free. They are worth $75-125. Swarming bees are often a symptom of hive health: the colony is strong enough to divide and multiply. The old queen departs with half the bees(20-40,000) to find a new home. And this swarm is usually quite docile, as it has nothing to defend. They prepare to swarm by feeding the queen less and making her move more. Otherwise she would be over gross and stall when the kick her out on departure day. They will land in a tree usually, then send out scouts to look for a new home.

The best way to get started in beekeeping is to join a club and purchase two nucs (google it). Kind of like having a twin engine. One can troubleshoot by comparing the two hives. The cost of packaged bees and queens is going up. Commercial agriculture is really hard on our bees. We can help by not using poisons more than necessary. I stopped completely last year. It is better for our health to.

Reading all of this both makes me really want to start a hive... and convinces me not to. Lotsa work, lots to go wrong from the sound of it. Of course it would be entertaining to see the neighbors' reactions. And although I am working hard to reduce my resemblance to Pooh, I do love my honey.

It is really not hard once you go to a class, buy a beekeeping for dummies book and join a club. It is almost too late to get started this year, but there is a month of prep work. Buy the unassembled hive kit, study, buy or borrow a bee suite and help a beekeeper for a day like I did. Join a club. Lots of good classes for about $12-20/yr for joining. Definitely cheaper than flying. Then order your nucs or package bees in Dec 2014.

If you are in town, it can still be done with some tall fencing to get your bees approach path higher. They can slip pretty good it seems.

Looks very intriguing. I'm curious how much land does one need to keep a hive or two? Can they be kept on the typical suburban property? I can imagine putting in a hive and my neighbor who lives just across the hedges getting a bit concerned at the thought of me putting a bee hive in not far from his property line.

My husband and I built 4 top bar hives. Very different from the usual Lang ones. We started the first one with Italians from Georgia. A very congenial bunch a bees. They did really well and still are. Kevin got some mauve paint for cheap, so the hives are a rather un hive like color.. The bees don't care.
We put the other three hives on the back of the property and started them with some Africanized bees we got for free from an old guy in Marfa. Well, you don't go check on them unless you're wearing a long sleeved shirt, jeans and a suit with the edges taped shut over your boots and gloves. I tried to re-queen one of the hives, sheesh, what a mess. Then I gave up on them a couple years ago. I don't know if any are still back there or not!
I do know the first hive is happy and bee-sy. They're out and about and a real nuisance at the hot tub. We've been trying to encourage then to use the water trough that's closer to their hive but retraining them to another water location isn't easy. I'm pretty sure the first hive is now Africanized too. They're ok when they are away from home so I'm not worried when they come check me out on the front porch but I don't wander over to check on them unless I'm dressed for it.
Mostly the last few years they've been on their own.
Anyway, top bar hives are great. Cheap to build and maintain. You get honey comb fromt the back of the hive and it's wonderful. Goggle it, they use them in under developed nations.
I'll get Kevin to take a picture and post it. Y'all will crack up. A pink box with a horseshoe over the door.

Last edited:

Looks very intriguing. I'm curious how much land does one need to keep a hive or two? Can they be kept on the typical suburban property? I can imagine putting in a hive and my neighbor who lives just across the hedges getting a bit concerned at the thought of me putting a bee hive in not far from his property line.

I would guess a 1/2 acre lot would work well with neighbors and/or your own children. If you have a water source...fresh water trickling through a thin bed of gravel, they are less likely to visit the neighbors pool. They will usually ignore me at 3' away April-June, during the buildup. From June-October, 15' is usually safe. Getting in their flight path, hive inspections or strong scents/loud equipment within 15' can get them in a bad mood. Cloudy, windy days make them moody fliers like us. Keeping them hidden from view and not talking about them may be best. Once you tell someone you have 60,000 bees in a hive, they all have bee allergies and bad dreams of killer bees. The Africanized honeybee is in some of our southern states, so even beekeepers must be cautious about the protective gear they wear down there. One in three mouthfuls of food have been pollinated by honeybees.

My husband and I built 4 top bar hives. Very different from the usual Lang ones. We started the first one with Italians from Georgia. A very congenial bunch a bees. They did really well and still are. Kevin got some mauve paint for cheap, so the hives are a rather un hive like color.. The bees don't care.
We put the other three hives on the back of the property and started them with some Africanized bees we got for free from an old guy in Marfa. Well, you don't go check on them unless you're wearing a long sleeved shirt, jeans and a suit with the edges taped shut over your boots and gloves. I tried to re-queen one of the hives, sheesh, what a mess. Then I gave up on them a couple years ago. I don't know if any are still back there or not!
I do know the first hive is happy and bee-sy. They're out and about and a real nuisance at the hot tub. We've been trying to encourage then to use the water trough that's closer to their hive but retraining them to another water location isn't easy. I'm pretty sure the first hive is now Africanized too. They're ok when they are away from home so I'm not worried when they come check me out on the front porch but I don't wander over to check on them unless I'm dressed for it.
Mostly the last few years they've been on their own.
Anyway, top bar hives are great. Cheap to build and maintain. You get honey comb fromt the back of the hive and it's wonderful. Goggle it, they use them in under developed nations.
I'll get Kevin to take a picture and post it. Y'all will crack up. A pink box with a horseshoe over the door.

I have heard of that type of hive. Would like to see pics!

My brother in Fl ask about them. I think I was told by a local that they were not the best for beginners like me.

I bet yours are busy down in TX!

While at the bee class today, they had some vendors there. Well, looks like my bee yard may be getting bigger soon. Heehee.

We will probably see a lot of great uses for honeybees in our future like this one...

http://m.digitaltrends.com/cool-tech/device-uses-honey-bees-detect-cancer/

I can tell they have a very good sense of smell. It takes them no time to find a new flower in bloom.

What happened to yours?

The bee bacteria (foul brood) got them. Had to burn the hives. I was so bummed I couldn't stand the thought of starting over. I had a nice mechanical honey extractor and we sold honey in jars and the honey comb in trays. It was fun while it lasted, but devastating to watch all of the work die off.

Last edited:
Oh, Geico, I'm sorry. I can't imagine having to do that.

Oh, Geico, I'm sorry. I can't imagine having to do that.

Evidently, it was my fault for not putting more antibiotics in the hives, but then the antibiotics get into the honey. Didn't feel like selling medicinal honey without a prescription. ;)

Some want to keep bees without using chemicals, don't want to feed in the fall/winter and basically go all natural. I wanted to also in the beginning.

I have learned to do the powdered sugar shake and use the sticky board method to check for varroa mites. Treat only if necessary.

I have learned to grind a few bees with mortar and pestle, look at them through my 400X microscope to look for nosema virus. Treat only if necessary.

I have to watch for k-wings to know if they have tracheal mites.

I look for good brood patterns in all stages of developement. Ensure they are active and not leaving their droppings on the front of the hive. I look for small hive beetle(SHB) and smash as I find them. I also use traps for them.

They are not much different than keeping any other animal...food, water, shelter. We treat our dogs for fleas, ticks, heartworm and rabies. My dogs are my alarm system and companion. Bees are my pollinators and a food source. There is much information and scientific studies on bees available. They were around when dinosaurs roamed. They are interesting little creatures. Our poisons are rough on them though, even the chemicals we use to help them. Our large single commercial crops like almonds, oranges and apples are not good for their diet either. So, instead of treating as a preventive, I only treat when needed. I also have grown lots of bee plants like borage, buckwheat, lemon balm, sunflowers, thyme, mustard, etc. There is a big list online that you can plant to help them.

Evidently, it was my fault for not putting more antibiotics in the hives, but then the antibiotics get into the honey. Didn't feel like selling medicinal honey without a prescription. ;)

AFB is one that we never want to see. Terramycin can treat it, but you have to use it on them from now on out. Burning the hives completely is the best way. I do not use Terramycin or any other chemicals as preventives. Most other things we can treat if caught early enough but not AFB. I think it is very rare to get AFB. Maybe when I get my hives built up, I can fly one up to you. A good xc trip for sure.

AFB is one that we never want to see. Terramycin can treat it, but you have to use it on them from now on out. Burning the hives completely is the best way. I do not use Terramycin or any other chemicals as preventives. Most other things we can treat if caught early enough but not AFB. I think it is very rare to get AFB. Maybe when I get my hives built up, I can fly one up to you. A good xc trip for sure.

:rofl:

5'000 bees in the cabin of the plane! :yikes:

;)

Thanks, but when foul brood is in the area it stay here a very long time from what I read. There was a sloppy bee keeper about 2 miles away that allowed his hives to sit after they were infected.

I took an infected hive to the county extension agent. He is a bee keeper himself. As he was walking up to the back of my truck he could smell it. It was really bad. He recommended burning everything, and I did. Very sad day. :mad:

Last edited:
I never would have guessed you need to give bees antibiotics. I can understand with dogs, cattle, etc. because they are domesticated. But aren't bees basically wild?

I have had my bees for 4 years now and I have never medicated. I keep my hives in full sun and keep the strong. So far knock on wood everything is going good. Well I say that but I have lost a few hives as well. One starved to death. They were all on the ground at the front of the hive with there tongues sticking out. It made me sick! Then some absconded for no reason.

Size wise u can keep them anywhere. My brother in law kept them in a rather close sub division and they did fine. Of course larger is better, if u keep them in a small yard put a fence right in front of them so there flight path goes up. Otherwise get ready when you walk right in front of them.

Top bar hives are awesome. I actually want to build some. Super simple. In my lang I always go foundation less and let the build the comb just like a TBH. Great stuff!

I have always been intrigued by honey bees. It's really cool that some fellow forum members are beekeepers. I would like to know more about them, so expect inane questions from a bee novice. :D

I belong to another forum whose members are mostly in SoCal. Several times in the past posters on the forum have described finding beehives on their property and using pesticides or chemicals to kill the hives. This astounds me...the bees are losing native habitat, are under pressure from disease and predators, and these yahoos kill them.

I am under the impression that many beekeepers will capture a hive and remove it free of charge. It seems completely stupid and ignorant to just kill a hive without making any effort to save them.

A few years ago I was leaving work late in the day, drove around the side of my building and saw a funny looking blob in a tree...got some great photos.

As you can tell from the foliage on the tree it was in early spring...I guess that's when hives swarm looking for new homes.

12709883694_f28037c036_c.jpg

12709579643_8525073ded_c.jpg

12709862274_b771aa2da5_c.jpg

That is a healthy swarm!!

I never would have guessed you need to give bees antibiotics. I can understand with dogs, cattle, etc. because they are domesticated. But aren't bees basically wild?

Yes, they are wild as they will show us during swarm season in May. The past 60 years of treatment with Oxy-Tetracycline that was meant to prevent foulbrood diseases and strengthen the hive may have actually weakened their ability to fight off other pathogens. Foul brood disease is worse up North where we sometimes have to supplemental feed sugar syrup in the fall or spring. I am hoping to keep mine strong and not have to use any chemicals. I am also going to raise my own queens, which is supposed to make our bees more resistant.

Other than the Africanized bees, are there different strains? Do some do better than others in different zones? Are some hardier, better producers, disease resistant? Or are they just "bees"?

My brother lives on 1.5 acres. I need to talk him into this.

Other than the Africanized bees, are there different strains? Do some do better than others in different zones? Are some hardier, better producers, disease resistant? Or are they just "bees"?

My brother lives on 1.5 acres. I need to talk him into this.

There are different strains. Some have been bred to be disease resistant and have hygienic behavior. Minnesota hygienic are those types. Then you have Italian bees, Carolina bees, and Cordova to name a few. This guy here has everything you would ever want to learn.

http://www.bushfarms.com/beesraces.htm

As far as some being better in different zones that's a good question, I'm not sure, maybe rvflyer or geico can answer that. Africanized bees are the best produces while Italian are very docile but still produce good. Basically the hotter the bees the better producers, if you can handle it:D.

Last edited:
Mine are Carniolans...But really they are just muts. Our queens were bred with 15 drones of unknown origin. One can purchase queens that are artificially insemenated for $500. No thanks, I will make my own queens that lay muts. If you can get bees local that is usually best. I would like to try some of the hygienic bees.

Considered to be gentle and non-aggressive
Can be kept in populated areas
Sense of orientation considered better than the Italian honey bee
Less drifting of bees from one hive to a neighboring hive
When compared to the Italian honey bee, they are not as prone to rob honey
Able to overwinter in smaller numbers of winter bees
Honey stores are conserved
Able to quickly adapt to changes in the environment
Better for areas with long winters
Fast rhythm of brood production brood rearing reduction when available forage decreases
Low use of propolis
Resistant to brood diseases
For areas with strong spring nectar flow and early pollination
Forage earlier in the morning and later in the evening, and on cool, wet days
Workers live up to 12% longer than other breeds

Weaknesses:
More prone to swarming if overcrowded
Low ability to thrive in hot summer weather
Strength of broodnest more dependent on availability of pollen
Unless marked the dark queen is difficult to find

I enjoy watching bumblebees at work. They aren't normally kept by beekeepers are they?

--

Not knowing much about their behavior - how likely are they to sting when they are foraging? We seem to have plants that attract them, and they are close to where we like to sit outside on nice days.

I enjoy watching bumblebees at work. They aren't normally kept by beekeepers are they?

--

Not knowing much about their behavior - how likely are they to sting when they are foraging? We seem to have plants that attract them, and they are close to where we like to sit outside on nice days.

No they aren't. However my wife and I commercially grow hydroponic tomatoes and bumbles bee hives can be used in the greenhouse. They are expensive and I don't think you get a queen and you have to get new hives often.

Honey bees while foraging are very docile. They have nothing to protect so unless you step on it bare foot or grab it, 99% of the time you will not get stung.

Back