Who do you trust for maintenance information

brien23

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Brien
Who do you trust most for your maintenance information your A&P, IA, FBO,this forum, your Aircraft maintenance book, other books that you may have read, your buddy?

All of them. Any given one of them can be wrong. Put all their opinions together and get the whole picture. That being said, the IA is the cat with the authority.

If you were asking for rank order, I'd move "this forum" to the end of the list. Not saying to disregard the forum, just saying the people who see it and the people who built it should get more weight in any decision.

I would put an OP, that is also A&P, that has owned his aircraft for a long time, at the top of the list, pertaining to that particular aircraft type.

MX manuel, Then A&E/IA, then AC43.13. Really, no particular order, but those are my "big 3" references for the care and feeding of aircraft.

Some one should add "TYPE CLUBS" every one I know of is full of experts just like here.

Who do you trust most for your maintenance information your A&P, IA, FBO,this forum, your Aircraft maintenance book, other books that you may have read, your buddy?
My A&P AND my IA. They are skilled, experienced, and real world experience can't be beat.

Forums, FBO, friends, books, etc...have to be careful. Shock cooling and ROP/LOP are examples where OWT runs wild.

My current A&P/IA is a gem. Big plane mechanic during daytime, owns the same type I fly so knows it well, lives next door from his hangar and kids are through college.
The A&P you use pretty much decides if your ownership experience will be a constant nightmare or not.

A combination of my A&P and Type Club are the main go-to. I'm fortunate to have a very collaborative A&P and a great type club. The service manual is a must for me, too.

Anyone that has more knowledge than me...but it is never a blind trust. Trust but verify.

A combination of my A&P and Type Club are the main go-to. I'm fortunate to have a very collaborative A&P and a great type club. The service manual is a must for me, too.
Some service manuals are better than others. The Citabria and Lake service manuals have great crayola crayon drawings of parts and in depth instructions on how to do everything if you can read between the lines.

Nobody came up with "trust the force" yet? Wasn't there just a Star Wars reference in another thread.

BTW my A&P/IA is also a good friend - best combo to answer the question.

The pubs, my APIA, trust but verify and all that jazz

Back