White Castle

I am from Miami and they had Royal Castle, a Miami-based chain before Burger King. I grew up eating at Royal Castle and when I tried White Castle there was a notioceable difference in taste. Not sure, today, what made them so different, but they were fantastic as a kid.

There is a White Castle in Las Vegas on Fremont Street under the lighted canopy.
Blast from the past, still like them.

Closest thing around here is Krystal, which I don’t much care for, but we used to stop at White Castle occasionally on the drive to see my grandparents in Michigan. Lots of them off I-75 in northern KY and into OH.

Still plenty around Cincinnati. We used to get a sack after carrying double bags for 18 holes at the Country Club.

Still stop by on occasion.

Cheers

Never been a White Castle fan. I like big burgers, and they don't do lettuce wrap. Although, back when I did eat White Castle, lettuce wrap wasn't a thing.

Krystal is HORRIBLE. Maybe it was just our experience? I've heard people say the same thing about White Castle and I've always looked at them like "Whaaaa....?"

Our local white castle burgers here in Minnesota are fresh, hot, and wonderful.

The Krystal we went to down in Florida seemed like they were microwaving these things? They were not edible by humans, in my opinion.

Try White Castle this valentine's day!
https://www.delish.com/food-news/news/a57678/valentines-day-dinner-at-white-castle/

(first link I could find)

Krystal is HORRIBLE. Maybe it was just our experience?

Nah, it's horrible. There are tons of them around here and I don't know why. I wouldn't feed the stuff to my dog. I feel the same way about Sonic, it's maybe one step above Krystal, and there's tons of them around here too. I just don't get it.

I went to the CEO's sister's wedding in Columbus back in the late 90s (I was friends with the groom). That was back when her father was still running the show. I was a little disappointed that they didn't serve White Castle burgers at the reception, but they seemed like a good family that had a good vision for running a business.

Still plenty around Cincinnati. We used to get a sack after carrying double bags for 18 holes at the Country Club.

Still stop by on occasion.

Cheers
Yep. I live in West Chester; these things are a guilty pleasure, followed by bloat.

Krystal is HORRIBLE. Maybe it was just our experience? I've heard people say the same thing about White Castle and I've always looked at them like "Whaaaa....?"

I think white castle is something you have to be raised on or around to enjoy -- like balut, smoking, or dip. I've tried them twice, and both times I felt swindled, having paid a medium-sized sum for some sort of grease-floated cat food on a too-small bun.

I’ve never had krystal. Is it really that bad?
Personally, my go to drunk spot is Waffle House.

I’ve never had krystal. Is it really that bad?
Personally, my go to drunk spot is Waffle House.

LOVE the waffle house!

I go to White Castle every year for Valentine's day; I will never go back to a Krystal again.

Perhaps we just got unlucky with the one location we went to; but dang I'm seriously gunshy of any location bearing that moniker.

I am from Miami and they had Royal Castle, a Miami-based chain before Burger King. I grew up eating at Royal Castle and when I tried White Castle there was a notioceable difference in taste. Not sure, today, what made them so different, but they were fantastic as a kid.

Agree with Royal Castle 100%! Lived in Miami for a couple yrs when i was a kid. They had the greatest honey buns and chocolate shakes on earth too. Used to sit at the counter in a trance watching the cooks make the burgers and cant get the aroma of the grilled onions out of my memory. I could eat a dozen of those things. I think they used 100% beef then. The original sliders. Krystall and White Castle couldnt hold a candle to them.

They just opened one in Scottsdale a few months ago. Next closest one is 1200 miles away. Lines out the door and drive thru is backed up for 2 blocks. Was a 24 hour store but demand was so much that they now have to shut down just to take a breather and clean the store. Some folks camped out for 4 days to be the first customers. We call them gut grenades.

Took a work trip to Indiana a few years ago and my hotel was right beside a White Castle. Had always heard about them so I thought they were these other worldly good burgers, boy was I wrong. I ate one, tried to contain my stomach contents while I walked to the trash and across the street to Wendy’s.

Took a work trip to Indiana a few years ago and my hotel was right beside a White Castle. Had always heard about them so I thought they were these other worldly good burgers, boy was I wrong. I ate one, tried to contain my stomach contents while I walked to the trash and across the street to Wendy’s.

When Wendy's is an upgrade, that is really making a statement.

I feel bad for all the hate on Krystal! I grew up in Alabama and love those little burgers. Maybe it's an acquired taste, but every time I go back to the South, I have to stop at one and get a sack full of Krystal burgers and fries.

They just opened one in Scottsdale a few months ago. Next closest one is 1200 miles away. Lines out the door and drive thru is backed up for 2 blocks. Was a 24 hour store but demand was so much that they now have to shut down just to take a breather and clean the store. Some folks camped out for 4 days to be the first customers. We call them gut grenades.

My wife and I just returned from the St.L area and visited White Castle for some freshly-made White Castle goodness. Sure beats the frozen ones they sell in the Southwest.

We have been waiting for the newness to wear-off on the Scottsdale location. Seems like it's okay now to go.

Thinking about it for today or tomorrow.

Before this thread, I had never heard of Krystal.

Googled it, and the burgers look quite similar to White Castle.

Which came first?
It’s really a Carl’s Jr. vs Hardee’s type of thing. Same product, different name.

Put a Krystal and White Castle burger side by side and I probably couldn’t tell the difference.

Okay - Krystal is a White Castle clone:

"Davenport had visited Chicago's White Castle restaurants, taking notes of successful features, before setting forth on his own venture. Davenport and Sherrill set up the first Krystal at the corner of 7th and Cherry Streets in Chattanooga."

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Krystal_(restaurant)

@Ryanb - When are we going?

My wife and I just returned from the St.L area and visited White Castle for some freshly-made White Castle goodness. Sure beats the frozen ones they sell in the Southwest.

We have been waiting for the newness to wear-off on the Scottsdale location. Seems like it's okay now to go.

Thinking about it for today or tomorrow.
It’s not totally worn off. I work about a mile away on Via De Ventura and just decided to go last week. Was maybe a 20 minute wait in line and another 20 to get your food. This was around 11AM it picked up a lot by noon. They turned ordering via the app off too. If you go stick to just the regular sliders. They seem to delay your order quite a bit if you order a 1921 or impossible slider. They do serve beer to make the wait a little more enjoyable.

Okay - Krystal is a White Castle clone:

"Davenport had visited Chicago's White Castle restaurants, taking notes of successful features, before setting forth on his own venture. Davenport and Sherrill set up the first Krystal at the corner of 7th and Cherry Streets in Chattanooga."

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Krystal_(restaurant)

@Ryanb - When are we going?

The Krystal Chiks are at least palatable, although you need about six of them plus a fries for a dinner. The Original Krystals are abominable.

I had White Castle once. I did not enjoy it on either end.

White Castle is good at midnight after spending the evening drinking. At least according to a friend.

When I was a student at Samford in Birmingham, there was a Krystal near the campus. At night during the 10:00 news, the guys on my dorm floor would often kick in a couple of bucks and someone would make a Krystal run. MASH reruns came on at 10:30, and we'd sit around munching Krystal burgers while watching. Krystals were a snack poor college students could afford, and today they still bring back fond memories and I still enjoy them.

Back