Which RV to Build....

Actually, there were suggestions about which one to build. And then like every other internet board, the conversation wandered. Gee, must be something that humans do. This isn't unique to POA.

And I said as much. If a non-RV builder wants to contribute non-relevant content to the thread, I’m just as entitled to rant about it.

I wish I could find it, but my Google fu is not strong. Basically, Ex/Ab was such a sore spot in the GA safety record that the FAA was concerned. VanGrunsven described the incident himself. As it turns out there was a pretty good solution that has made things safer.

Thank you for providing the additional context. It wasn't that the FAA told Van that directly - it was at a large meeting to discuss Ex-Ab safety that Van attended. It was in no way, shape, or form singling out Van's Aircraft but was in fact directed at the EX-AB community as a whole. Van's description of the event is at http://www.dweiler.org/page23/page54/page54.html , among other places on the Interwebz.

Normally, when you step into a new type you get some kind of transition training to make certain you can fly the thing before you're set loose. This didn't exist at all for Ex/Ab, and a lot of the fatals were guys in their first flight of their homebuilt, or someone transitioning in. Pretty understandable with folks transition into fire breathing little aircraft that fly like nothing else. The problem is you can't charge anyone to train them in your experimental airplane. At least you couldn't. Others can chime in with more knowledge than I, but apparently now it is possible to get some degree of transition training in your homebuilt or in the aircraft you're purchasing. The FAA makes exceptions in the name of safety, which they should. And I believe things have gotten better.

I completely agree. An RV isn't hard to fly at all - they're delightful, in fact, which is why there are so many of them about. But it's way different than the brand B, C, and P aircraft pilots learn to fly in. Transition training programs existed, but it was difficult to get approval since you couldn't have them ride along with you on your first flight and getting a LOA to charge for transition training in your homebuilt was harder to come by. That has changed now, fortunately.

Agreed. I hate to come off as if I don't like RV's, nothing could be farther from the truth. I think they are truly awesome airplanes. They just don't match my mission right now. Like I said, they aren't for everyone.

I think he got what he needed right here. Last we heard form the OP, he has decided on the -14. Good for him, it's a good choice. I hope he can pull it off. It is a long road ahead. It takes a lot of dedication (and money of course). That's why I would never build one myself even though I have the skills, the space and most all the tools. I know I would never finish. I will buy if I decide to go RV.

Can I do it? Will I do it? Or will I join the ranks of the “I started it but my mind and life took me elsewhere... anybody wanna buy a partial?”

I’d like to suggest that you’ll know what to do if you listen to that inner voice we all seem to have. Something happened to me that let me hear it...

I was at the local java joint in my little college town, taking a break from daydreaming at my work. There was a request for subjects to participate in an interview regarding retirement. She was looking for people that were now working but considering retirement in the next few years. I tore off the number, contacted her and agreed to the interview.

One question asked about the things you hoped to do or accomplish before or during retirement. I listed off a half dozen things including ‘build a plane’. The follow up question asked for the likelihood that you would in fact do what you hoped to do.

Well, by that time I had decided that the RV10 fit my needs and had just started to build a shop inside my hangar with HVAC. Nothing ordered yet. My answers to the 5 or 6 things I listed was all over the place but completing and flying the ‘10 was 100%. No thought required, no doubts. It surprised both of us, but at that point at least I knew that I knew what I was going to do.

A bit of morbidity intervened as I clearly remember thinking to my self that the only that will stop me is buying the farm in the Maule before I finish. Ha!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

The RV-4 (throwover, not tip-up or slider) is one that has been known to strip the canopy if it comes open in flight. I know of a few that have landed without the canopy, but I don't know of any that have not recovered safely after loss of a canopy.

I'm somewhat amused by people that complain about the lack of homebuilts outfitted the way they want them. If you want it your way, build it your way.

Nauga,
for recreation and education

The reason that happens is that it's designed to do that. The canopy hinge is attached to the airframe with widely spaced aluminum pop rivets. That way, in the event of the need to bail out you unlatch the canopy and it departs the airplane so you can bail out.

Bob

You’ll find useless opinions on VAF too, as a question like this is subjective by nature.:rolleyes:

Actually, VAF is less likely to have worthless replies. Case in point: many times I post here to screw around. Not there.

Interesting Noone talks about the tip up opening in flight and associated risk. I am not familiar with the RV tip up but there have been a few lancair tip up crashes due to the canopy opening in flight.

I've had "unintentional" tip-up opening in flight. Fortunately my passenger held on while I slowed and returned to land. Solo... I don't what would have happened.

The hardest decision I've seen for most RV builders is side-by-side or tandem.

True! As for me, I'm weird, so my decision making on which RV to build was incredibly easy; I wanted tandem seats, taildragger, slider, quick build... sounds like an RV-8 to me!

The reason that happens is that it's designed to do that.
Of course it is...and there's also a latch mod to make it more difficult to accidentally lose one, but it has happened. I did not install the mod, but I do check the locking rod religiously. :cool:

Nauga,
hopefully not Gus

Actually, VAF is less likely to have worthless replies. Case in point: many times I post here to screw around. Not there.
Agree, there is much wisdom to be gleaned over there. They also have a number of folks who pray at the altar RV and will not tolerate any discussion on weaknesses in the design. Over-moderation is my gripe with that site. I have had a few threads not just get locked, but disappear entirely.

Of course it is...and there's also a latch mod to make it more difficult to accidentally lose one, but it has happened. I did not install the mod, but I do check the locking rod religiously. :cool:

Nauga,
hopefully not Gus
I did not install it on mine either, but I do have a canopy light on the efis.

Bob

True! As for me, I'm weird, so my decision making on which RV to build was incredibly easy; I wanted tandem seats, taildragger, slider, quick build... sounds like an RV-8 to me!
That's a good looking plane, my favorite RV for sure.

I've had "unintentional" tip-up opening in flight. Fortunately my passenger held on while I slowed and returned to land. Solo... I don't what would have happened.

Well, here's a data point for you for the bag of tricks: happened to me solo, there is a change in nose pitch moment (which you probably felt), but if you just fly the plane, you can fly the plane. Slowing down to approach airspeed allowed for me to be able to reach up and pull hard enough to get the upper latch secure again by turning it 90*, more normal flight characteristics returned, I stayed slow and went back to home drone and landed.

Back