Which panel layout would you choose?

this is just a sidetrack comment/thought
as a rusty pilot round dial six-pack pilot....seems to me that all this is just so random....sort of like older planes before the "standard" 6-pack arrangement was settled (more or less). It was always so much easier to jump into a different plane if it had a more or less "standard" 6-pack arrangement....always struck me that it had evolved into sort of the best arrangement.
Do you think these glass panels will ever evolve into more of a standard layout to streamline a pilot's scan, instead of fielder's choice very different in each and every aircraft?

this is just a sidetrack comment/thought
as a rusty pilot round dial six-pack pilot....seems to me that all this is just so random....sort of like older planes before the "standard" 6-pack arrangement was settled (more or less). It was always so much easier to jump into a different plane if it had a more or less "standard" 6-pack arrangement....always struck me that it had evolved into sort of the best arrangement.
Do you think these glass panels will ever evolve into more of a standard layout to streamline a pilot's scan, instead of fielder's choice very different in each and every aircraft?
When everything is healthy, the entire six pack is on the single Aspen - or two G5s. That’s pretty standard. It’s the mix of old and new for redundancy (that’s probably not needed) and adding mfd and engine gauges into the mix that spawns this conversation.

Most of us fly with the left hand, which means your right hand does all the button pushing….put the MFD on the right side of the yoke.
Does the Aspen PFD require much interaction? If so, then this logic requires more careful consideration about which things you need to push, tap, or turn when you’re actively hand-flying, as well as the flow through the panel for some things. Altimeter settings come to mind, since you’ll be entering them in the Aspen and G5 separately.

Print out full size images of all the instruments and bring them, a roll of painter’s tape, and a thermos of coffee to the airport and do a few hours of hangar flying in the plane. It’s the biggest bang for your buck in improving the panel for how you personally fly. And you may find things that you want to move just because something is in the way or you have to jump around the panel too much.

Most of us fly with the left hand, which means your right hand does all the button pushing….put the MFD on the right side of the yoke.

That’s where most of them I’ve seen were installed and where I think they should be as well. It is also closer to the radios you’ll be interacting with. To me it would be totally backward to have the MFD on the left.

That’s where most of them I’ve seen were installed and where I think they should be as well. It is also closer to the radios you’ll be interacting with. To me it would be totally backward to have the MFD on the left.
And yet that's an option in the Garmin 10" screens (G3X Touch and TXi). You can have the EIS strip on either left or right edge and you can have the split view MFD to the left or to the right of the PFD. I like my MFD to the right but maybe I should try it the other way and see if it's better, worse, or the same.

Perhaps @Salty is left handed?
He's always seemed a little sinister.

And yet that's an option in the Garmin 10" screens (G3X Touch and TXi). You can have the EIS strip on either left or right edge and you can have the split view MFD to the left or to the right of the PFD. I like my MFD to the right but maybe I should try it the other way and see if it's better, worse, or the same.

He's always seemed a little sinister.
I prefer salty. But I’m mostly ambi but right hand dominant. I can do most anything with either but fine control is better with right.

Seeing as how the pfd controls alt / heading / baro etc I could argue having it on dominant side is better.

I had my G500 configured as: MFD | PFD | EIS, and I am loving it so far. I specifically wanted the PFD on the right so I'd be using my right hand to change the altimeter setting and all of the other bugs. I'm right handed, and even with the autopilot flying, most of the touching I do is with my right hand, but I'll use my left hand to spin the knob to change the MFD page or zoom.

I'm also liking the EIS right next to the PFD more than I thought I would. I was thinking maybe I'd add another GI-275 for the engine instruments and get a little more room for the PFD, but after flying with it I like having everything on the one screen.

I like 3 personally.
View attachment 113522

Above is the original panel layout. I'm having a second Aspen, a EI CGR-P & CGR-C installed and trying to decide where to put things. There are two Nav radios wired to both the aspen and one to each of the steam gauge CDI's.

Option 1. Install the Engine gauges front and center and move the NAV 2 CDI down low.

View attachment 113519

Option 2. Install the Primary Engine Gauge up front and put the Cluster gauges down below.

View attachment 113520

Option 3. Install the engine monitor front and center and remove the Nav 2 CDI altogether. I can still get Nav 2 on the Aspen, and Nav 1 on both the Aspen and the CDI.

View attachment 113521

Why do you want to keep even one CDI? The Aspen's HSI can be connected to any NAV source you have in the cockpit. The second Aspen is the backup for the first. Your GPS has a CDI at least for lateral guidance, as a backup to the backup. And for the rare times where I need to see two NAV sources at the same time (e.g. watching a VOR off to the side while flying an airway), the Aspen has two bearing pointers.

I completely understand the desire/need for a dissimilar (read: not Aspen if your primary one is an Aspen) attitude indicator, but I ditched all my CDIs/HSIs when I went with Aspens in my Bonanza.

- Martin

Why do you want to keep even one CDI? The Aspen's HSI can be connected to any NAV source you have in the cockpit. The second Aspen is the backup for the first. Your GPS has a CDI at least for lateral guidance, as a backup to the backup. And for the rare times where I need to see two NAV sources at the same time (e.g. watching a VOR off to the side while flying an airway), the Aspen has two bearing pointers.
And on top of all that, he's previously said that NAV2 is an SL30 which also has a built-in CDI as well as a NAV monitor mode (identifies VOR crossings).

Belt, suspenders, safety pins and paracord...

View attachment 113522

Above is the original panel layout. I'm having a second Aspen, a EI CGR-P & CGR-C installed and trying to decide where to put things. There are two Nav radios wired to both the aspen and one to each of the steam gauge CDI's.

Option 1. Install the Engine gauges front and center and move the NAV 2 CDI down low.

View attachment 113519

Option 2. Install the Primary Engine Gauge up front and put the Cluster gauges down below.

View attachment 113520

Option 3. Install the engine monitor front and center and remove the Nav 2 CDI altogether. I can still get Nav 2 on the Aspen, and Nav 1 on both the Aspen and the CDI.

View attachment 113521
Ask your mechanic too. To make sure whatever panel you end up with, is not a PITA to service in the future.

I realized I'd never posted the results....

Gained about 25 pounds of useful load, full traffic and weather on the aspens and GPS, all new pullable circuit breakers, etc.

The original:
original.png

The result:
IMG_2095x.pngIMG_2091x.png

Three, put swap the cdi and the TC. Having the TC under the backup G5 in an emergency would be beneficial, I think.

Three, put swap the cdi and the TC. Having the TC under the backup G5 in an emergency would be beneficial, I think.
Either way, the scan in an Aspen-dead emergency would require glancing across the Aspens to get all the information. I think I'd rather have the CDI close to the G5 if I were in that situation but it's almost a toss-up.

Gained about 25 pounds of useful load, full traffic and weather on the aspens and GPS, all new pullable circuit breakers, etc.
I like the results and suspect you'll love flying with the new panel. What USB power sources do you have in the panel? I don't think anyone will complain that they have to take turns charging their phone, tablet, e-book, and everything else in your plane.

Either way, the scan in an Aspen-dead emergency would require glancing across the Aspens to get all the information. I think I'd rather have the CDI close to the G5 if I were in that situation but it's almost a toss-up.

I like the results and suspect you'll love flying with the new panel. What USB power sources do you have in the panel? I don't think anyone will complain that they have to take turns charging their phone, tablet, e-book, and everything else in your plane.
LOL no, there are plenty of chargers!

They are the USB-6A units from EI. I got them as part of a package deal with the CGR-30

Looks great! Big upgrade

Why have the G-5? The Aspen 2000 the MFD is the back and auto reverts to AI.

VERY NICE! With that many screens, you can probably tune in ACC football....

You shouldn't have much trouble selling. Hope you get something fun to replace her.

Have you had any issues? Do you trust the aspens less than the G5’s?
Ive never experienced a red x in the air on either. I feel the g5 is a less complex device that’s less likely to fail, and as such is a good backup. As installed, it doesn’t rely on gps, air data, or magnetometer to show a horizon. A backup AI is not required for the aspens when installed with dual magnetometers, which mine are, but I wanted it anyway.

I added the reasonably priced AV20S, it’s 2” size makes it easy to find space for it, and having a 3rd option that’s the tie breaker and a non Garmin option.

Back