Which log book, for an overhauled fuel boost pump

NoHeat

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Should I put the logbook sticker in my engine logbook, or my airframe logbook? This is after my electric boost pump was overhauled, with no other work performed besides removing and reinstalling.

Airframe, since it remains on the airframe if the engine is removed. The litmus test is; if the engine is removed and factory remain installed with a new log book, the old engine log goes with the old engine or tossed losing the entry for critical items left behind still on the airframe and still in use.

You can put a dual entry if you feel the engine log should have it for context.

The IPC (Illustrated Parts Catalog) lists items/part numbers as it was certified in the TC. The engine IPC, has it's own TC, and if listed there is part of the engine. Many items you'd think were parts of the engine are in fact not and part of the airframe...they are found in the airframe IPC.

Last edited:
This is a game I would play with my IA. :)

I would always ask: engine or airframe. He said the best rule of thumb is "Does the engine require it to run?" If yes, engine log. If not, airframe. I have run into gray areas but I can't remember them.

I would always ask: engine or airframe. He said the best rule of thumb is "Does the engine require it to run?" If yes, engine log. If not, airframe. I have run into gray areas but I can't remember them.
So ignition switches and fuel tanks get logged in engine logs?

Exhaust....? Airframe or Powerplant?

The IPC (Integrated Illustrated Parts Catalog)
FTFY.:)
Should I put the logbook sticker in my engine logbook, or my airframe logbook?
FWIW: To add to the above, considering the only requirement is for an "aircraft record," not individual logbooks, to prevent the possibility of losing any required records I usually recommend to enter all mx in the "airframe" logbook with a duplicate write up made in an engine log or prop log if necessary. This provides for a continuous record regardless if any engines or props are ever changed and their respective logbooks are sent away or lost during the process.

FTFY.:)

FWIW: To add to the above, considering the only requirement is for an "aircraft record," not individual logbooks, to prevent the possibility of losing any required records I usually recommend to enter all mx in the "airframe" logbook with a duplicate write up made in an engine log or prop log if necessary. This provides for a continuous record regardless if any engines or props are ever changed and their respective logbooks are sent away or lost during the process.

I **LIKE** that idea. I'm going to start that process right away. Thanks for the pointer.

Jim

yup....from here on out I'm just gonna put the sticker in every log book. ;)

Exhaust....? Airframe or Powerplant?
That's one!

I would guess airframe because a)you wouldn't order it from Continental or Lycoming, you would order it from the airplane manufacture. b)you wouldn't send it out with the engine to get overhauled. c) theoretically, the engine could run without it.

But that's a total WAG. When in doubt, I put it in both.

Edit: My old IA said that if it's turbo charged then exhaust up to and including the turbo may be engine since in some cases those are delivered with the engine.

Last edited:
Edit: My old IA said that if it's turbo charged then exhaust up to and including the turbo may be engine since in some cases those are delivered with the engine.

I put the exhaust in the engine logbook, as that is where someone will intuitively search for the entry if needed. Performing an overhaul or installing a factory reman, I would indicate in the engine logbook the old exhaust with XX hours on it reinstalled after Engine overhaul.

My IA puts a note on the sticker that says engine or airframe logbook ... for me the dumb owner

I put the exhaust in the engine logbook, as that is where someone will intuitively search for the entry if needed. Performing an overhaul or installing a factory reman, I would indicate in the engine logbook the old exhaust with XX hours on it reinstalled after Engine overhaul.
but....the exhaust part numbers are not in the engine IPC.....they exist in the airframe IPC.

but....the exhaust part numbers are not in the engine IPC.....they exist in the airframe IPC.

It's a worthy point. I have 2 turbo-normalized STC's which comprise the system. You have me thinking to go back and double check which parts belonged to which section.

It's a worthy point. I have 2 turbo-normalized STC's which comprise the system. You have me thinking to go back and double check which parts belonged to which section.
my Bonanza has a turbo....STC'd....and it goes with the airframe.

Look up a TIO-540-AE2A IPC and see what you find.
What airframe? "Most" airframe IPCs will include the baffling and exhaust.....

Attachments

• Piper Exhaust.jpg
    Piper Exhaust.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
What airframe? "Most" airframe IPCs will include the baffling and exhaust.....

I gave you enough information to figure it out. ;)

Did you look at the IPC I mentioned previously?

Attachments

• 5C2DC7F3-E2D7-4CB8-BF0A-50B6D98A7A07.png
    5C2DC7F3-E2D7-4CB8-BF0A-50B6D98A7A07.png
    319.8 KB · Views: 8
Back