Where Will the Price of Avgas Settle?

sourdough44

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
WI Flyer
Here comes Spring & Summer Flying Season, 100LL is always $1.50 or more above auto fuel. I think the new prices will take a bit to work into storage tanks at airports.

Just to cage my thinking, will we be above $8 by June? I’m not talking at ORD, just the average small airport.

‘Settle’ may not be the right term, volatile maybe more like it. Are we gonna have to fly for 20 minutes, then go back to the hangar for a beer & the wax job?

Auto gas will be close to 8 bucks by June if something is not done soon.

Already above $4.25 and diesel %4.81 when I bought diesel at lunch time here in my little part of the world. Diesel was $2.89 last month. If it keeps going this way I won't be able to afford to drive to the airport.

Time to buy some oil wells...

Paid $5.80 here for 100ll, going up to $6.20 Sunday.

Fuel oil, over $4.50 a gallon. Granny gonna freeze.

I'm thinking about gas price craziness in my driving career.

Around 20 years ago when Russia flooded the market, we paid $0.99/gallon for premium.

Around 15 years ago when I started flying, regular hit $4/gallon. For a while, 100LL was the same price as regular (that didn't last).

Highest I paid domestically for 100LL was something over $7/gallon... I want to say around 8 years ago. $12/gallon in Canada.

Just under 2 years ago when everyone stopped driving, gas dropped below $2/gallon. I paid under $2/gallon for Jet A in that time period, making it the lowest I'd ever paid for any airplane fuel in my flying career.

Meanwhile, inflation has been occurring during this whole time.

Gas prices haven't settled in my lifetime for very long. They fluctuate based on supply and demand. 100LL tends to lag car gas prices. Yes, it will be expensive this summer, like car gas and diesel will too.

I'm willing to pay more for fuel if it means that people are turning off the taps from Russia.

From a driving standpoint I can deal with the gas prices, as any long drives are discretionary. The bigger problem is that higher energy prices drive up the cost of any product manufactured or transported using energy, which is virtually everything. We’re not just paying higher gas prices at the pump; we’re paying them with every loaf of bread, gallon of milk, or bottle of beer.

I remember my dad pulling out of one gas station to cross the street to another station because the gas was 1 cent cheaper.

Gas was 19.9 cents at the station he left. And he bought 10 gallons, and saved 10 cents. I am sure that old truck used more than 10 cents of gas to start up and drive across the street....

I just paid $5.07 for avgas. That sux. But the economy is great! Everything is great! It’s the people’s fault for buying so much gas!

Wow. I felt bad about paying $4.61 for 100LL this week. Thanks to everyone for making me feel a bit better.

Why don't we all just use a little less? There once was a time we would ration gas to help defeat, well, help defeat. Really, is complaining about the price the best we can do?

From a driving standpoint I can deal with the gas prices, as any long drives are discretionary. The bigger problem is that higher energy prices drive up the cost of any product manufactured or transported using energy, which is virtually everything. We’re not just paying higher gas prices at the pump; we’re paying them with every loaf of bread, gallon of milk, or bottle of beer.

Just sayin'...

petroleum_spaghetti_2020.png

In 1973 80/87 was $.42 and 100/130 was $.44 with car gas cheaper.

By 1979 100 LL had arrived and selling for $1.20 which was the same as Mogas.

Almost. 300% increase in 6 years!

I promise to fly a disproportionately high amount and guzzle 100LL at any price...

...If this logistics snafu will resolve to get me an alternator coupling for my engine. :mad:

Avgas is the smallest slice of my flying budget pie.

It will balance out, somebit. As gas goes up, people stay home, cancel vacations. Hotels and other accommodations have to lower prices. A lot of hotels have been built recently. Instead of $200/night for the hotel, it will be $140. As vacancies rise, accommodations will loose the ‘take it or leave it’ attitude. Two night minimums will go away. Package deals will return. Cancellation terms will become more flexible. I won’t have to book so far in advance. So I will be paying more at the pump to travel but less when I get to wherever.

Last edited:

It's zero % of my budget.

I've been in the shop for just under a year now. The loan note, insurance and Hangar rent have remained the same though, so there is that.

Mine too...and it is the one slice that is completely under my control (I can stop flying, and have a cost of 0 if I choose).

It will balance out, somebit. As gas goes up, people stay home, cancel vacations. Hotels and other accommodations have to lower prices. A lot of hotels have been built recently. Instead of $200/night for the hotel, it will be $140. As vacancies rise, accommodations will loose the ‘take it or leave it’ attitude. Two night minimums will go away. Package deals will return. Cancellation terms will become more flexible. I won’t have to book so far in advance. So I will be paying more at the pump to travel but less when I get to wherever.

It’s how markets work. This too shall pass.

I like running in the opposite direction everyone else is and it’s worked well for me. First time gas hit $4/gallon, I bought a Ford Excursion V10. Thing was damn near worthless, in beautiful shape. Put 60k miles on it and sold it for close to what I paid for it.

I like running in the opposite direction everyone else is and it’s worked well for me.

Yeah, I was thinking along the same lines. Might be a good time to buy another diesel pickup.

Reactions: Ted
Yeah, I was thinking along the same lines. Might be a good time to buy another diesel pickup.

I’ve already stated my thoughts elsewhere on our new vehicle purchase.

Motorcycles, that’s another question - but getting good mileage those are harder to find. Plus they’re big for the #yolo mindset that more are getting into since covid hit. Not many deals out there on those, of course this is the time of year when values start to go up anyway on them.

When we’re talking about avgas prices, what airports are we talking about? The numerous airports across the midwest and SE that are still in the low-mid $4 range. Destination airports already charging over $7? An average?

Just saying the spread on a normal day is pretty big.

When we’re talking about avgas prices, what airports are we talking about? The numerous airports across the midwest and SE that are still in the low-mid $4 range. Destination airports already charging over $7? An average?

Just saying the spread on a normal day is pretty big.

The airport I was at yesterday was less than $4 this summer, I can't remember the exact price, but it was relatively cheap. Just checked fuel oil here, cash price is $4.699 per gallon, this is getting serious quickly.

Russia produces about 11 million barrels per day of crude oil, out of a world total of around 100 million barrels/day (using round numbers, because Covid has distorted supply and demand the last few years). More to the point, after their own domestic demand, Russia exports about 7 MBD of crude and petroleum products. Therein lies the problem -- if no one wants to import from Russia, importers will bid against each other on global markets to make up the shortfall. And even though the U.S. is roughly in balance between petroleum imports and exports, we are very active participants in global trade flows, both importing and exporting about 8 MBD of crude and products. So whatever drives global oil markets up or down affects our prices as well.

One other oil market tidbit: a barrel of crude oil is 42 gallons (an archaic unit of measurement, but whatever), so $1 per barrel of price change equates to about 2.4 cents per gallon. Brent crude oil prices (the de facto global index) have risen about $30 per barrel since the beginning of February, and about $50 since the beginning of December, so roughly 70 cents and $1.20, respectively. All things being equal (which they never are), we could expect to see similar price impacts in gasoline, diesel, avgas, Jet A, etc. (A big caveat there is seasonality, which would generally push gasoline up and distillates down as we head through spring into summer, but this war and (hopefully) post-Covid demand increases throw everything into flux.

I was in Singapore last week. Gasoline at $7 a gallon US

Dubai was about $3 a gallon US

I'm in Mexico right now and it's getting close to &5

Diesel in NE FL just got to $4.59. It had been running about 3.50 - 3.80. AvGas is $4.50 - 4.75 at the usual cheaper places. Not looking forward to when they refill the bulk tanks.

Back