Where to get alternator rebuilt?

stevenhmiller

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Steve's Archer
I live north of Tampa, FL. Does anyone know where I can get my alternator rebuilt? The local electric shops wont touch it because its an airplane alternator. Even though it's a Chrysler alternator, it makes no differnce.

My local alternator repairman wouldn't touch mine when he learned it was for a plane until I explained it went in an experimental airplane and anyone could work on it.

My local alternator repairman wouldn't touch mine when he learned it was for a plane until I explained it went in an experimental airplane and anyone could work on it.

Agreed..

NEVER tell them it is for a plane..

Use the code word " off road vehicle"..;););););)

By the time I buy the kit and do it, it isn't that much cheaper. This way, I also get a shiny new looking alternator, also. :wink2:

I thought you were having trouble finding someone...:dunno: Yeah, drop it off at the local shop is always preferable.

One way I have found to handle a reluctant shop is to grab a nut driver off the bench and pull a bolt out. "I'll put this back in when you're done with the rest, then the liability is on me, not you." Total nonsense, yes, I know, but it's still typically sufficient when combined with other pleading.

You can do your own, they aren't difficult.

Funny, I do not recall seeing rebuilding alternators listed in FAR Part 43, Appendix A, Subpart C, Preventive Maintenance. So unless the OP is an A&P or works in a Part 145 repair station that has that part on their ops spec / capability list, he is not allowed to do so.

Funny, I do not recall seeing rebuilding alternators listed in FAR Part 43, Appendix A, Subpart C, Preventive Maintenance. So unless the OP is an A&P or works in a Part 145 repair station that has that part on their ops spec / capability list, he is not allowed to do so.

:rofl:

My Mech would do it. Again, cheaper to buy a rebuilt (thanks to GLMS_NC for the link!) than to have him get the kit, rebuild it and install it. Plus, the new one is all shiny. Ooooooo! :D

Take a look at PlanePower new alternators. Much better then OEM.

Well, please enlighten us with your superior knowledge and why you always seem to know best in all matters.

You seem to believe that all not permitted is forbidden, no such thing in America. It's all a matter of how much responsibility you are willing to take for yourself; if you want no responsibility, the course of no responsibility spelled out in the FARs. However, within those same FARs is also written in the rope they will give you to hang yourself with the "Owner Produced Parts" clause which is written broadly.

As an owner, it is completely legitimate to take your alternator home or to an alternator shop, repair as required, take it to Autozone and have them spin up a test, hand it to your A&P to install (or supervise your install) and sign it off back in service. 100% legal and happens daily across the country.

Just took a look at their pricing. $195 for a rebuilt with the return of a core is not bad at all! Thanks!

You are very welcome - that is what this forum is for.

Every 500 hours they get mine to go through the regardless of how well it is performing and always do a great job. Never experienced a failure and I trust my life and plane to their work.

Blue skies.

Back