Where to find previously cleared routes

Discussion in 'Cleared for the Approach' started by sarangan, Apr 15, 2019.

1. sarangan

sarangan Line Up and Wait

Display Name:

Display name:
    Andrew Sarangan, CFII
    Garmin's EFB software will display recently cleared routes between two airports. I am wondering where it is getting this information from. Is there an FAA site where this information is stored? Can I get this information without going through the EFB?

2. AggieMike88

AggieMike88 Touchdown! Greaser!

Display Name:

Display name:
    The original "I don't know it all" of aviation.
    https://fltplan.com/ has had this feature for a long time before the EFB's

TCABM likes this.
  3. midlifeflyer

midlifeflyer Touchdown! Greaser!

Display Name:

Display name:
    Mark
    ..and it is still more extensive than any of the others I've seen. Dunno if the source is different or if FltPlan just keeps the information longer, but the result is more hits for less common airport pairs.

4. sarangan

Display Name:

Display name:
    Andrew Sarangan, CFII
    Do you need a subscription for that service? It wasn't clear from the website whether that was part of the premium option.

5. midlifeflyer

Display Name:

Display name:
    Mark
    They have always wanted you to have an account and login (I think I've been with them for the 20 years they have been around), but the basic flight planning and filing functions, including this, are free. The premium options are geared more toward the corporate aviation world. (Corporate GA has been their primary customer since the beginning; probably the reason Garmin bought them because of ForeFlight inroads to that market.)

One tip on using any of these. There will be airport pairs that are simply not done enough to generate common routes. Sometimes you will need to use other nearby airports to get an idea.

Here is what the page looks like for a proposed trip to Dayton from my home base in NC.
    upload_2019-4-16_5-11-7.jpeg

6. eman1200

eman1200 Touchdown! Greaser! PoA Supporter

Display Name:

Display name:
    eman1200
    Here’s what it looks like in GP:

[​IMG]

7. midlifeflyer

Display Name:

Display name:
    Mark
    Yep. Multiple apps will this feature, but since the question was about getting the info without an EFB..

But what's interesting is how different sites/apps treat "recent." As you see, FltPlan gives an additional route which goes back to 2013. Not that useful unless, of course, there is nothing more recent. That's pretty much where FltPlan excels. ForeFlight pulls up the same routes as Pilot. OTOH, FlyQ's definition of "recent" is more restrictive and it pulls up nothing on the. TTA-DAY pair.

8. benyflyguy

benyflyguy Pattern Altitude

Display Name:

Display name:
    benyflyguy
    I have FF and I find that the proposed routes can sometimes lead to a “amended” flight plan. Fltplan I think might do a better job to prevent that.

9. midlifeflyer

Display Name:

Display name:
    Mark
    That's doubtful. The longevity might be different but the information is the same. Amendments seem to be more about Center computers vs local conditions.

10. sarangan

Display Name:

Display name:
    Andrew Sarangan, CFII
    Sorry to revive this old thread, because I don't think the original question got answered.

Regarding the routes displayed on fltplan.com, are these ATC cleared routes or routes filed by the pilot? The terminology makes it confusing. They have it broken down into "Recent FltPlan.com User Routes", "Recent Planned ATC Routes" and "Other Recent Planned ATC Routes". All of them sound like proposed routes rather than actually cleared routes.