Where did you fly today?

alaskaflyer

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Alaskaflyer
Another forum of which I am a member has a continuing thread like this. Wanna try it?

Anyway, I'm blogging my flights now (see my signature), so you can go there for more details, but after getting back into Talkeetna from a trip to Reno over the weekend I flew my plane home to PAIN/INR, with a few scenic detours. Here's some photos. They are all from .9 hours of flying (had a tailwind.) They were from my cell phone camera and so aren't great - have to remember to put my camera in the flight bag!

Image000.jpg
Image007.jpg
Image004.jpg
Image009.jpg
Image007.jpg
Image004.jpg
Image000.jpg

Edit: My server ate my photos. Oh, well, more below. Here's my plane tied down at my strip:

Image010.jpg

Image010.jpg
Image010.jpg

I look forward to hearing stories of "today's" flight.

Last edited:
Okay, I'm officially jealous! :yes:

Saturday, I flew as a safety pilot for over five hours and got into some actual in snow on a trip to St. Louis and back. That was a fun experience.

Sunday, I did six sets of spins in a Super D followed by a couple rolls. More to come next Sunday! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
well yesterday I did a 40 minute hop in the 421 to get my boss brushed up for his MEI checkride that is supposed to happen tomorrow, but will likely get weathered out. Nothing too exciting, but I do like its single engine performance, lightly loaded over 500 fpm with gear/flaps up. Thursday will bring more students (hopefully) and then I'm home for the weekend.

Yesterday I did the checkout in the PA28-180 I just gained access to use and fly as my own :yes: Also got night current once again.

I sat in the right seat and forced myself to keep my hands off the yoke for 6 landings.

Well today I went into the practice area to work on stalls, slow flight, turn around a point, steep turns and emergency procedure.

Next week, night flying and then X-cross country!

I sat in the right seat and forced myself to keep my hands off the yoke for 6 landings.

Ok, I have got to ask how you manage to do a hands off landing, with the trim?

yesterday I flew from KLWM to somewhere near Akron, OH. Today I flew from there to VIH. I've been battling wx and turbulence the whole way and I have the worst cold I've had in years. This should be fun, but I feel like crapola.
My final destination is KSAF. SUpposed to be there thrusday, but I probably won't make it till friday.

Saturday, Leslie and I flew to Morris for our inaugural lunch at the new restaurant. Then we flew up to Watertown, where we had dinner with Kent and a bunch from our FBO/club. Sunday, I flew back to Morris for lunch with a bunch of PoAers. (See the separate thread for pics).

My wife and some of her girlfriends drove to the Oregon coast, where one of them has a timeshare, for an overnighter. A couple hours after they left I thought I'd leave work a little early and fly out there to a nearby airport to surprise her. The trip was 0.6 on the tach. When I landed I phoned her, and found out they were still on the road. Because of the winding two-lane roads through the coastal mountains, and a bad accident that stopped traffic on US 101 in Lincoln City, I had to wait nearly an hour for them to catch up to me at the Siletz Bay State Airport (S45). We chatted and laughed a bit, then I flew home before dark.

It was a nice day to fly, and underscored the value and convenience of G.A.

-- Pilawt

Attachments

• Dsc05477.jpg
    Dsc05477.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 13
  • Dsc05483.jpg
    Dsc05483.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 19
  • Dsc05486.jpg
    Dsc05486.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 20
Yesterday I flew from home down to Talkeetna, through Windy Pass, Broad Pass, then Chultina Pass. A lot of passes! Nice light, we have daylight past 9p now, took the photos around 7:30p. A little light turbulence coming through the passes and a 20 knot tailwind up at 7K, but calm on the ground on arrival. You can feel spring in the air, it is supposed to be 40F tomorrow here :cheerswine:

Image013.jpg
Image012.jpg

Perhaps someone with the Force can sticky this thread please please :fcross:

Hey Richard, I'm going to be in Talkeetna tomorrow morning, thru Sunday. You still going to be around? We should hang! You can meet my new pilot-husband!

I'm giving a talk about neutrinos at the Roadhouse on Saturday night. It's been announced on local radio and everything... should be a hoot.

--Kath
cell 510 452 7767

Hey Richard, I'm going to be in Talkeetna tomorrow morning, thru Sunday. You still going to be around? We should hang! You can meet my new pilot-husband!

I'm giving a talk about neutrinos at the Roadhouse on Saturday night. It's been announced on local radio and everything... should be a hoot.

--Kath
cell 510 452 7767

Done!

Dallas Love to Austin R/T, in a King Air 350. Nice way to fly, and the pilot used the radar to good advantage.

To Greenville, SC and back. Had lunch with Dave S and others. Great time. You should have come Spike, but the restaurant didn't have bar-b-que.

To Greenville, SC and back. Had lunch with Dave S and others. Great time. You should have come Spike, but the restaurant didn't have bar-b-que.

Funny. I did not even check back into this thread until today- woulda been cool to fly there with Dave. Could not have done it, of course... had to work and, yesterday, fly to AUS to look into the political quagmire that is "Through-The Fence." Trust me on this, folks, politicians can be real dillweeds.

It *was* cool, flying in the King Air.

Didn't go 'anywhere' yesterday. Started and stopped at OLM. Filled out a bunch of entries in a performance chart as a start to instrument lessons. Hood work on Tuesday. Yippee! Finally getting serious with this.

I missed out on today's trip to SC thanks to a gut decision but hopefully more spins and more tomorrow if WX proves to be wrong.

It WILL be wrong!!! Won't it? :yes: :fcross: :fcross: :fcross:

Yesterday (31 Mar) I did 10C to KSMD and back to pick up my niece for her spring break.

Lots of WX in the area so I picked up quite a bit of IMC. Several times it rained real hard, the storm scope never showed any discharges and the ride was real smooth. ZTC did provide vectors to get around some really heavy rain and the flight tracks reflect that.

Last edited:
My wife and I were supposed to go up to Buffalo for an overnight with friends. The Wx forecast for today forced us to scrub the mission. So yesterday I bored a small but long hole up to New Hampshire and discovered a new (to me) restuarant 100 yds off the field in Keene. Now KEEN has two great restaurants - one Indian and one typical diner fare but done very, very well.

-Skip

Today I flew from Venice Florida to my home base near Minneapolis. We got an early start so that my sister-in-law could drop us off at the local field (KVNC) on her way to Tampa to catch a commercial flight back to her home in Utah. Landed just after 3 PM CDT for a total time from first takeoff to last landing (there was one fuel/lunch stop) in 8 hours.

Spent some time in the air thursday with my Bride KILG-KMIV-KWWD-KOXB then home. Saturday had the chance to introduce a first time passenger to flying. My friend since grade school talked his wife into giving it a try and it went very well. A short hop for breakfast and back and now she is hooked!

I finished the write up and added her email she sent us tonight.

Took the RV from KBNW to KAMW 10 miles east so Tony could say he had two planes actually 'fly-in' for the PoA Glide-a-Thon. VERY windy and VERY bumpy, but it's the sacrifice I made for Tony. ;)

After grubbing on brats at AMW, I flew Kent down to KDSM for him to bring their Arrow back to AMW before departing. Filed for 4,000 for the short flight down to DSM, but one we were given descent to 3,000, I canceled IFR and we went in VFR. Then back to AMW, then back to BNW.

Good day of x-wind practice with winds 280@20G30 most of the day and landings on Rwys 31, 31, 33.

Took the RV from KBNW to KAMW 10 miles east so Tony could say he had two planes actually 'fly-in' for the PoA Glide-a-Thon. VERY windy and VERY bumpy, but it's the sacrifice I made for Tony. ;)

After grubbing on brats at AMW, I flew Kent down to KDSM for him to bring their Arrow back to AMW before departing. Filed for 4,000 for the short flight down to DSM, but one we were given descent to 3,000, I canceled IFR and we went in VFR. Then back to AMW, then back to BNW.

Good day of x-wind practice with winds 280@20G30 most of the day and landings on Rwys 31, 31, 33.

thats right, as Kent said, it turned the event from a 100 dollar hamburger for him and kate to an actual fly in.

Didn't get to fly in the air, but the winds tried to push me and my little BMW off the road.........

Attachments

• r45a.jpg
    r45a.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 12
Kent, was this your first RV ride? Did you order the tailkit yet? :)

it was kents first ride, he enjoyed it. Ill let him tell about it. After my first flights in Chris' -7A I was ready to order the kit. Fun Airplane

Connected with Katherine and her new husband Paul (also a pilot, and an aircraft owner) yesterday in Talkeetna. Joined them for a nice ski around a groomed classic trail, then attended her talk. She's a good teacher, now I know everything I ever wanted to know about the sixteen elementary particles!

Today she joined me for a flight around the Talkeetna neighborhood in my plane for about an hour. We followed the Susitna River upstream for a while, then went partway up the Eldridge Glacier into the Alaska Range before returning home. She's a good pilot!

Image007.jpg
Image010.jpg
Image009.jpg

After I dropped her off so she could head home to Anchorage I spent a little more time in town then flew north to home with the sunset chasing me.

McKinley in the distance...

Image014.jpg

World's largest igloo (really cool from ground level-view too!)...

Image016.jpg

Almost home...

Image003.jpg

Thanks Katherine see you in May!

Our track for Google Earth-heads is attached below.

Attachments

• Kathy&Rich4-1.kmz
    5.5 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

Eh.. It wasn't a good 'first' flight for him. Winds were very gusty, we were trying to go IFR 30 miles to DSM, so we were in-and-out of the clouds. He only got a few mins of stick time. I need to get him out on a smoothER day to get the official "RV grin". ;)

Rough day yesterday...

I've got a BFR coming up this month, so I figured I'd better go out and do some maneuvers. I've been doing cross countries all winter, but haven't done maneuvers in a long time. It took me a half hour to get my steep turns to an acceptable level. I didn't even want to go do any stalls because I was pretty frustrated at that point, and to be honest I managed to spin myself as a student and ever since then they've unnerved me quite a bit.

Called it a day, went home, and made perhaps one of the worst landings I've ever seen since I got my Private. Approach looked good, decent crosswind correction, then it all fell apart: I bounced, drifted left, then decided to screw the "hold the nosewheel off" business and planted the d*mn thing.

On top of that, my radio work was off. I'm usually right on the ball, but I kept fumbling my words.

It was interesting, though, on the way in the tower controller decided to give me an instrument lesson. He told me to report the outer marker. I acknowledged, then looked around the rental 152 and realized I lacked the necessary equipment. I told him this, and he told me how to identify the outer marker (which isn't on my VFR charts) using VOR radials. Nice to know, but a bit unexpected.

All in all, I'm pretty glad I'm going up with an instructor soon. Hopefully I can just chalk it up to having a bad day.

1.4 hours in the log today. Where did I go? I haven't got much of a clue. 1.2 was under the hood doing steep turns, unusual attitude recoveries, etc. CFII might have been sightseeing, but my primary views of the ground were take off and landing. :D

Chicago to Narita Japan and back. Does that count? (Well, it was over three days.)

today i started training a new towpilot in the club. I havent done much of any instruction from the backseat of the super cubbie but it went really well. He is a good pilot, rusty in tailwheel stuff, plus there was a gusty crosswind today. flew the tow well, got kind words of encouragement from the club members getting current. Then flew with a PP student who hopes for a checkride next week. And finally, my pride and joy, a Flight Review candidate who hasnt flown since 1979 has been working with me for the last month. We did a ton of ground to start with and then got to flying. A lot of the airwork came back to him and I could tell he learned to fly in taildraggers, a good stick. He struggled with landings but today they finally clicked. He released his death grip on the yoke and was in command of the aircraft instead of along for the ride. After the last landing he asked what I wanted to do, I said "how bout you go solo" He seemed kind of amazed, but I signed his BFR off and out he went. Made a way better landing than when I had been with him. Big smiles were all over the FBO. Good Day

Fly? Today - April 05, 2007??? Nowhere; it was too overcast, and I was just one of over 100,000 in Maine out-of-power. 12" plus, and the day before the only snow on the ground was in the shadiest areas.

HR(who, personally, shoveled the whole mess)

Attachments

• 040507 Storm.jpg
    040507 Storm.jpg
    145.6 KB · Views: 4
  • 040507 Storm2.jpg
    040507 Storm2.jpg
    205 KB · Views: 4
  • 040507 Storm3.jpg
    040507 Storm3.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 3
  • 040507 Storm4.jpg
    040507 Storm4.jpg
    211.8 KB · Views: 6
  • Tipper 040507 (858 x 677).jpg
    Tipper 040507 (858 x 677).jpg
    92 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:

Yes, it was my first RV ride. No, I'm not going to build one.

The things that impressed me most were how the 200hp engine feels more like 260 or 285 or something... And the handling. Very responsive, but with enough heaviness to where you can really feel the airplane. Very nice.

However, I will not build an airplane myself. First, it's too much time that I could have spent flying :D, and second, well, I haven't even managed to build an R/C model that flies right. I'm way too "Hey look, there's a wing and an engine, let's try to fly it!" :goofy: I would never be able to make such a nice airplane as Chris and his dad have.

Thanks again for the ride, Chris!

today i started training a new towpilot in the club. I havent done much of any instruction from the backseat of the super cubbie but it went really well. He is a good pilot, rusty in tailwheel stuff, plus there was a gusty crosswind today. flew the tow well, got kind words of encouragement from the club members getting current. Then flew with a PP student who hopes for a checkride next week. And finally, my pride and joy, a Flight Review candidate who hasnt flown since 1979 has been working with me for the last month. We did a ton of ground to start with and then got to flying. A lot of the airwork came back to him and I could tell he learned to fly in taildraggers, a good stick. He struggled with landings but today they finally clicked. He released his death grip on the yoke and was in command of the aircraft instead of along for the ride. After the last landing he asked what I wanted to do, I said "how bout you go solo" He seemed kind of amazed, but I signed his BFR off and out he went. Made a way better landing than when I had been with him. Big smiles were all over the FBO. Good Day
Aaahhh.

Yesterday winds 40 off the runway 12 G 22, he's really starting to get crosswind landings. Took about a month.

After more power on and power off stalls today, re-soloed my PVT ASEL today, his #3. It's getting burned in. Told him he really needs to get out to practice his ground ref maneuvers, power OFF stalls only... Aaaah.

Back