Where am I on the airport?

I don't know!!!!!!!!!!

:) if it's any comfort, you are way ahead of me! It probably isn't, but...

For me as a student, the fear comes from needing to communicate ALL necessary or pertinent information, but not really knowing yet what that is at each point. That's the learning curve. We want to tell the important things, but not the stupid obvious things, and very much want to sound like an "old hand" which just about always ends up being the opposite until we get feedback, and used to it.

I hope my CFI can teach me that but it sounds like, from reading here, and as Bob In his book points out, though ATC have definite guidelines, we have more leeway. I wish it were more codified sometimes.

And as I mention, I have no experience yet.

It was way back in the thread but someone said not to include the taxiway when holding short of the runway except for intersection departures. That would NOT be acceptable at KFUL and many other airports. (Note that at Fullerton being at Alpha or Bravo indicates which side of the runway you are on)

It's usually better to advise the position with like "Rwy one seven at alpha." Also made me better at "Clear of one seven at alpha two"

Last edited:
You should always give your position when checking in with a new controller on the ground. An intersection has to be specifically coordinated between GC and LC. Therefore, LC is going to know who you are and where you are. Not saying don't report, just not very important if you leave it out. Any qualified LC with even a minuscule amount of SA, knows who is holding short at the approach end as well. But again, report your position on initial check in.

Last edited:
I have done 95% of my training at nontowered airports and I am still a little intimidated by the radios. I just completed a 400 mile roundtrip solo long x-country to a small towered class d airport and I contacted ground by saying:

Podunk ground skyhawk n5535A at fbo ready to taxi to 03 with alpha.

They gave me taxi instructions and I forgot to include the runway on readback. Ground cameback and said "35alpha the faa requires complete read back with runway" so I read back "skyhawk 35a taxi to 03 via alpha to intersection foxtrot " and that got the job done.

You should always give your position when checking in with a new controller on the ground. An intersection has to be specifically coordinated between GC and LC. Therefore, LC is going to know who you are and where you are. Not saying don't report, just not very important if you leave it out. Any qualified LC with even a minuscule amount of SA, knows who is holding short at the approach end as well. But again, report your position on initial check in.

For the newer folks...

LC= Local Controller (the controller handling air traffic)
GC= Ground Controller (hopefully obvious what they're handling)

:)

I have done 95% of my training at nontowered airports and I am still a little intimidated by the radios. I just completed a 400 mile roundtrip solo long x-country to a small towered class d airport and I contacted ground by saying:

They gave me taxi instructions and I forgot to include the runway on readback. Ground cameback and said "35alpha the faa requires complete read back with runway" so I read back "skyhawk 35a taxi to 03 via alpha to intersection foxtrot " and that got the job done.

Runway and taxiway crossings are mandatory. If you think about it, this is because it's where folks are going to run into each other if they're not careful. And always look both ways even if you have a clearance to cross. You never know when that departure that just took off has to limp back around the airport and land with a struggling engine ... and may not have time to say anything to anybody. Or someone else is lost and going the wrong way down a taxiway.

As you noticed, controllers are going to prompt you if you forget anything that's required. So don't sweat it too hard. You'll "get it" fairly quickly. If nothing else as you slap your forehead as they prompt again for something you knew they needed. :)

Y'all know that Tower and Ground have eyes and can see the field right? While I agree that you wanna be as concise as possible, they can see you.

If you REALLY want to get barked at, blow a read back at KCNO.

Love that airport, but they can be rigid as all get out.

I'm glad you posted that, I was wracking my brain on LC trying to figure out yet another acronym on here.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We are a hobby/industry full of jargon and acronyms. I immediately saw that one and knew those two wouldn't be obvious to new pilots.

must be a new guy......we get that too. :confused:

Back