When to switch to tower frequency

Yeah I was taught that strobes go on at the threshold and off at the threshold. I was taught that by a DPE who told me that if I ever did anything other than that I would pi$s off a bunch of pilots and show everyone that I'm the amateur pilot. I took the hint.

At night for sure, but I see plenty of planes with them on in daylight and never thought it was a big deal. I thought I read from Whelen that they recommended not sparing the flash, that disuse was worse than using them. Can't find the document on their website at the moment so take it with a grain of salt.

But, for the person who said he turns them on even before contacting the tower, the question remains, why?

Cirrus SR20's/SR22's don't have beacons. The POH says to turn on strobes before engine start and leave them on until after landing (as required) or shutdown.

Interestingly, C162's don't have beacons either but the POH says to check their operation during pre-flight, turn them on right before engine start, turn them off right after engine start, turn them on just before take-off and then turn them off again after landing.

For increased conspicuity? :dunno:

Yup.... I was taught to look for rotating beacons while on the ramp /taxiway to become aware of planes who either are just getting ready to start the motor or ready to taxi... Since I don't have a beacon, I use my strobes as a signaling device.... It is not like my low wattage aeroflash units are going to blind anyone...:redface::redface:.....

I just treat my strobes like daytime running lights that all new cars have.... They have proven to be a safety item and help prevent collisions..

Is it not an FAA requirement to either have beacon or strobe in operation?

Anyways, I only click on the strobes in times of low visibility or high traffic, but limit the use of them on the ground near the runway environment to preserve vision for myself and others.

I understand you guys trying to be conspicuous with your strobes in daytime, that's obvious, but they can be very annoying to people on the ramp and other planes nearby too.
I don't really care how you guys do it, I'm not your CFI or your mother. There's lots of ways to operate planes, and everyone of us is a little different.

My question was to GaryM about why he would turn the strobes on before contacting the tower. What is the reasoning behind turning them on at that time?

I never operate strobes on the ground unless I have a takeoff clearance and I'm rolling towards the runway, even then, if there are planes nearby I'll delay slightly until I actually get on the runway. Then I light everything up, landing lights included, day or night. It's called common courtesy for your fellow pilots, and being aware of your surroundings.

Last edited:
Leaving stobes on as you roam around the airport (not just when crossing the runway) is like saying you always just use your high beams in the car since you can see better to avoid obstacles (except the guy you just blinded). :hairraise:

Last time I flew at night some idiot pulls up next to me in the runup area with strobes blaring and totally destroyed my night vision. Was not happy.

Last edited:
Is it not an FAA requirement to either have beacon or strobe in operation?

Anyways, I only click on the strobes in times of low visibility or high traffic, but limit the use of them on the ground near the runway environment to preserve vision for myself and others.

Not if, in the PIC's opinion, it is safer to have them off. Not blinding other pilots would seem to count.

Some aircraft must use strobes over beacon for certification reasons. E.g., Cessna 182T.

I understand you guys trying to be conspicuous with your strobes in daytime, that's obvious, but they can be very annoying to people on the ramp and other planes nearby too.
I don't really care how you guys do it, I'm not your CFI or your mother. There's lots of ways to operate planes, and everyone of us is a little different.

My question was to GaryM about why he would turn the strobes on before contacting the tower. What is the reasoning behind turning them on at that time?

I never operate strobes on the ground unless I have a takeoff clearance and I'm rolling towards the runway, even then, if there are planes nearby I'll delay slightly until I actually get on the runway. Then I light everything up, landing lights included, day or night. It's called common courtesy for your fellow pilots, and being aware of your surroundings.

Taking that thought one step further...

Police, fire, emergency vehicles and even wreckers and snow plows have VERY bright strobes/ LED's..... Should they turn them off so passing traffic does NOT get blinded >>>:dunno::dunno:..

Most guys here won't comprehend this scenerio... but if I am in the front row, following the pace car and those strobes are blinding me for several laps, am I safe charging into the first turn when the green flag comes back out >>:dunno::dunno:..

In my previous statement I said I DON'T use them at night while on the ground IF any other planes are around........ If strobes bother pilots in other surrounding aircraft during day light hours , I would suggest their vision needs to be rechecked and hopefully they are adequate to pass a FAA medical.... IMHO.... YMMV...Professional driver on a closed course. etc etc....:D

Some aircraft must use strobes over beacon for certification reasons. E.g., Cessna 182T.

Care to elaborate? My copy of the 182T POH says to leave the strobes off until just prior to takeoff.

Care to elaborate? My copy of the 182T POH says to leave the strobes off until just prior to takeoff.

If you look at the "kinds of operation equipment list" table, you will find the strobes are required for all operations, and the beacon light is required for none of them.

The reg leaves the PIC with the option of turning off anti collision lights if it's safer to have them off.

Specific airports may have local requirements: KMMU prefer calling the tower when ready in the run up areas for example. Often these procedures are local knowledge, and not documented. KHPN has funky VFR arrival procedures. The instructor may have been referring to a local exception to the rules in the AIM

At my airport, Denver Centennial, local procedures trump the AIM. After runup is complete you notify ground, and ground tells you to monitor tower, and the tower calls you when they're ready to send you aloft. In the absence of local procedures, it's what Jesse said.

Centennial is the only airport in which I've encountered this procedure, but I use to go there a lot. No biggie, just different, and they have signs.

Centennial is the only airport in which I've encountered this procedure, but I use to go there a lot. No biggie, just different, and they have signs.
As I mentioned earlier, there are (or at least were) at least two others. There might be/have been 3.

Last edited:
I stay on ground, once I'm holding short I'll change over to tower but continue to monitor ground on my other comm.

Back