When to do runup (ex. During fly-ins)

farmerbrake

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
farmerbrake
Couldn't think of a short and sweet title for this but anyways:
I have the opportunity to fly to a football game this Saturday. Only have my private pilot so weather will have to be vfr. If it's not we'll drive.
Not sure how busy the airport (class D with regularly scheduled airline/regional traffic) will be, but let's assume it will be pretty busy between regular traffic and football traffic.

Where/when would you do your runup? There is no runup area. Would you just do it on the taxiway and angle the plane so you don't blast the guy behind you?
What's considered etiquette?

I have the opportunity to fly to a football game this Saturday. Only have my private pilot so weather will have to be vfr. If it's not we'll drive.
Not sure how busy the airport (class D with regularly scheduled airline/regional traffic) will be, but let's assume it will be pretty busy between regular traffic and football traffic.

Where/when would you do your runup? There is no runup area. Would you just do it on the taxiway and angle the plane so you don't blast the guy behind you?

Do it on the way to the runway, taxing

Generally I'll do it on the apron before even taxiing out to the movement area. If I know there'll be a wait I'll defer it to the taxiway line-up, angled of course. I've done rolling run-ups before, but I generally limit them to two-pilot operations and nice long, wide taxiways.

If it's class D, ask the ground controller where to do it.

Do you ride the brakes when you do your run-up on the roll, or do you taxi really fast?

There is such a thing as a 'modified runup', that may be a lower RPM abbreviated runup with a familiar plane you just flew in. Don't get distracted with the runup to the point you aren't paying enough attention to the taxi plan.

Yes, some things don't work for everyone.

Do you ride the brakes when you do your run-up on the roll, or do you taxi really fast?

Toe into the brakes a little more to keep speed reasonable. Look at it this way, you get the brake check for free!

And that reminds me of a moment from initial training with the old crusty CFI I used. I asked him what is the fastest one should taxi, and he said "No faster than a cow can run." I said "Cows can run pretty fast" and he just smirked back at me.

He was a strange dude.

I am based out of a class C with regionals, a320's, 737's and tons of bus. Jets. I usually do it on the ramp but taxi away from the parked planes. Or taxiway anywhere when its dead. Rarely have anyone taxiing in front or back of me. But if you stop in the middle of the taxiway (angled) just tell ground your doin your runup real quick.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

I went to an airshow/fly-in earlier this year. The organizers told us to do the run-up during taxi.

I've done runups on taxi before. Its just another tool in the bag... use it when needed... I only use it when I've done a full runup earlier because I feel like my attention is divided between the run up and not crashing into something...

traditionally a taxiway runs parallel to a runway and the hold short line is perpendicular. Usually only one plane occupies that hold short line at a time and that provides clearance to do a run up without blasting the next plane behind you. I do rolling run ups all the time but it's because I use gravel. There's nothing right or wrong with rolling runups but in a congested airport the hold short line probably offers the best place to do your mag and prop checks.

Yup...

Run up on the roll... I do it all the time...:yes:

But then again, my motor is way different then yours...

That's what I do too with my IO520D too

Only reason I'd try to not do it on the runway is if something comes up, you might screw up things for the guy in the busy tower.

Biggest thing, just don't prop blast anyone and take your time

I'm also a believer of the daily flight check, I only do one full run up per day.

Generally I'll do it on the apron before even taxiing out to the movement area. If I know there'll be a wait I'll defer it to the taxiway line-up, angled of course. I've done rolling run-ups before, but I generally limit them to two-pilot operations and nice long, wide taxiways.

The ramp is one of the worst places to do a runup...especially at any type of event.

There will probably be allot of planes at any football game so you'll not be able to do it on the ramp. Since you are asking, you probably don't have the experience to do a rolling runup. Your suggestion is the best, just do a little "S" manuver so you are across the taxiway and do a quick (not-abbreviated) runup. That's something you can practice before you go.
I only do rolling runups on runways that require a taxi back. I figure I should get to the end in a hurry anyway.

That's what I do too with my IO520D too

Only reason I'd try to not do it on the runway is if something comes up, you might screw up things for the guy in the busy tower.

Biggest thing, just don't prop blast anyone and take your time

I'm also a believer of the daily flight check, I only do one full run up per day.

This.

And I never do a runup with passengers or patient onboard, its all done in the pre-flight. If the oil has had time to cool down, then I do an abbreviated rolling runup, using about half the rpm I would use for the first runup of the day, or use an elevated idle to warm up the oil and cylinder heads up to the green.

There will probably be allot of planes at any football game so you'll not be able to do it on the ramp. Since you are asking, you probably don't have the experience to do a rolling runup. Your suggestion is the best, just do a little "S" manuver so you are across the taxiway and do a quick (not-abbreviated) runup. That's something you can practice before you go.
I only do rolling runups on runways that require a taxi back. I figure I should get to the end in a hurry anyway.

Things like "controls free and correct" can be done before leaving your parking spot, leaving "just" the run-up for your pre-takeoff checklist.

I was planning on doing as much as I can before I even taxi. The only things I would need to do right before take off are:
Mag check
Prop cycle
Set flaps
Final controls free check

Everything else such as setting the 6 pack, setting radios/navs, trim set, etc. Would be done before taxi.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

The ramp is one of the worst places to do a runup...especially at any type of event.

I agree if you've got anything behind you. I often find myself parked on the back line of the apron with nothing behind me, which is a perfectly fine place to do it.

No way to runup the Yak on the roll since it accelerates way too fast, if there is no dedicated space, pull off to one side of the taxiway, angle as best you can and runup - I would potentially damage planes behind me, that big ass 8 foot paddle blade prop moves a lot of air as well as anything within about 10 feet on the ground.

My runup only takes about 45 seconds including cycling the prop and checking mags.

I only do runups every time I intend to aviate, every time, no exceptions, but the Yak is not your normal Cessna/Piper/Beech, etc.

'Gimp

Last edited:
I agree if you've got anything behind you. I often find myself parked on the back line of the apron with nothing behind me, which is a perfectly fine place to do it.

Yeah, but I've stood in too many FBO doors with my passengers waiting for somebody to do a runup, watching one or more line guys lounging in tugs attached to airplanes waiting for the same runup to be completed so they could pull airplanes behind the offending airplane to be willing to condone even runups with good etiquette...next thing you know, somebody's doing it in the middle of a crowded ramp because they saw you do it off to the side of an empty one.

Find any place you can that's not in the way and not blasting anyone or anything (read: hangars) or unduly delaying anyone. The edge of the ramp is often a good place. In my case I run up right in front of my hangar if no one is behind me. Where possible, I like to call ground with "runup complete" - which is encouraged at KAPA but not required. If there's no obvious place on the ramp to do a runup then I guess ask ground but I'd rather just get it done before calling them.

I've been typically doing mine just short of the hold line with the nose pointed down runway. 9 times out of 10, I spend more time waiting for take-off clearance than on the runup.
Most of the nitty-gritty is done during pre-flight, including controls free and correct and seatbelt security, setting frequencies.
Prime things at the hold line are turning on the lights, the mag check, prop cycle, changing to tower, and securing the doors/windows.
No one in the tower (nor other aircraft) have ever been bothered by it.
IF another aircraft (typically a turbo) is coming up behind, I offer and do pull to the side of the taxiway so he can go first. (lends to friendliness)
BUT, I have done rolling runups where expedited movement was anticipated or known to be necessary

I've been typically doing mine just short of the hold line with the nose pointed down runway. 9 times out of 10, I spend more time waiting for take-off clearance than on the runup.
Most of the nitty-gritty is done during pre-flight, including controls free and correct and seatbelt security, setting frequencies.
Prime things at the hold line are turning on the lights, the mag check, prop cycle, changing to tower, and securing the doors/windows.
No one in the tower (nor other aircraft) have ever been bothered by it.
IF another aircraft (typically a turbo) is coming up behind, I offer and do pull to the side of the taxiway so he can go first. (lends to friendliness)
BUT, I have done rolling runups where expedited movement was anticipated or known to be necessary
The only time I'll do a run up at the hold short line is if there isn't anyone behind me. I wouldn't want to hold them up.

I've done runups on taxi before. Its just another tool in the bag... use it when needed... I only use it when I've done a full runup earlier because I feel like my attention is divided between the run up and not crashing into something...

Exactly, I always pull off before the runway threshold or pull over and angle to avoid any traffic behind me. I don't see how you can truly do all the run up steps while the aircraft is moving.

The only time I'll do a run up at the hold short line is if there isn't anyone behind me. I wouldn't want to hold them up.

As I said, I pull over to the side and let others by if I might be in the way.
As an alternative, I've also offered to do intersection take-offs.

On the bigger airports (Class-B and C), THE traffic is usually Big Iron, and the majority of the conga lines are at the -B airports, like Sky Harbor.
In my experience, Ground has always had the Big Iron on a different set of taxiways from where I was directed, so any conflicts were more due to wake turbulence separation, not run-ups

Exactly, I always pull off before the runway threshold or pull over and angle to avoid any traffic behind me. I don't see how you can truly do all the run up steps while the aircraft is moving.

For your typical SEL bird (which I assume we're talking about), only the mags, carb heat and prop need to be checked during a run up. Those can be done in 15 seconds or less.

For a typical SES bird, it's the same thing, but they don't have brakes so the option of pulling off the side isn't quite there.

If it's class D, ask the ground controller where to do it.
Now, why would you want to ask the ground controller at the airport in question when you can ask SGOTI who have no idea what airport it is and get great suggestions like using a busy airport as a reason to rush the one phase of flight where you can find or solve a problem on the ground? :mad2:

Now, why would you want to ask the ground controller at the airport in question when you can ask SGOTI who have no idea what airport it is and get great suggestions like using a busy airport as a reason to rush the one phase of flight where you can find or solve a problem on the ground? :mad2:

I hope me posting this thread didn't offend you.
The reason I posted this is to get an IDEA of what to expect, or what other people have done. I, by no means, see the need to rush this vital portion of flight. As you say, this is where we can catch things.
I was just looking to see if there was some type of etiquette for doing a run up at a busier airport, or during a fly in.

The reason I posted this is to get an IDEA of what to expect, or what other people have done. I, by no means, see the need to rush this vital portion of flight. As you say, this is where we can catch things.
I was just looking to see if there was some type of etiquette for doing a run up at a busier airport, or during a fly in.

You find an open hangar, preferably with jets or helicopters in it, you point your tail at it and do an extended full throttle run up. Bonus points if there is loose gravel around.

:D

As I read it, I *think* MLF was poking at the GOTI who responded earlier in the thread, not at you.

Everyone should just do what I do and do their run-ups on the first of every month. That is often enough and then ya don't have to worry about it when yer at a strange field.

:D

As I read it, I *think* MLF was poking at the GOTI who responded earlier in the thread, not at you.
I guess I should read my own thread sometimes.... Sorry MLF

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Back