When to apply for Basic Med

WDD

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Vintage Snazzy (so my adult children say)
So my 3rd class expires in March. I was thinking of getting the Basic Med exam in Feb just to keep in front of the curve.

If I get a Basic med exam and notify the FAA about going on Basic Med in Feb before my 3rd class expires the following month do I face any problems?

I read another thread where the FAA got a notice from a person’s doctor who wanted to remove a restriction, and the FAA considered that a “I’m re applying for a 3rd class” to which the FAA requested a ton of medical history - In essence opened an investigation.

Am I overly concerned - maybe.

If I get a Basic med exam and notify the FAA about going on Basic Med in Feb before my 3rd class expires the following month do I face any problems?
i did exactly what you mentioned. didnt cause any trouble. my 3rd class was valid till Oct, i went basic med in June of the same year

I did the same also. I did BasicMed with my PCP October 2018. My last 3d Class medical expired 10 months later.
got a notice from a person’s doctor who wanted to remove a restriction
I don't recall the discussion. That doc probably violated something doing that.

But the bottom line is this: unless your non-FAA BasicMed doc has been doing this for years — unlikely — expect that he or she knows far, far, far less about the process and the rule than you do. You need to take charge, explain the process and maybe even some of the medical requirements. My doc has material I furnished her in advance of the appointment and told her I would explain anything she was concerned about. .

I did my CMEC a few months before my 3rd class expired, just to leave myself a little turning radius in case I needed it, which I thankfully didn't.

Last edited:
I’m calling around at DOT physical locations as I don’t think my doc is set up for color blind test, regular eye test, etc. I think I found a clinic that has done DOT and basic med before.

I did my Basic Med within a week or two of getting my 3rd class, on Bruce’s recommendation. The easiest time for a doc to sign off Basic Med is while you still have a 3rd class, as all he is doing is concurring with the FAA that you’re healthy enough to fly.

No problem, I had my doc fill out the Basicmed form a couple of months before my class 3 expired, because that's when my regular yearly visit was scheduled. But the doc shouldn't send anything to the FAA; he just fills out a form that you keep with your logbook. The only notification the FAA gets is that you've completed the online class from AOPA or Mayo Clinic.

I get mine done every year with my annual physical, so there's no extra steps or co-pays.

It's "free" that way and no drama.

Just have to watch the cartoons every 2 years and I'll always be current

So my 3rd class expires in March. I was thinking of getting the Basic Med exam in Feb just to keep in front of the curve.

I read another thread where the FAA got a notice from a person’s doctor who wanted to remove a restriction, and the FAA considered that a “I’m re applying for a 3rd class” to which the FAA requested a ton of medical history - In essence opened an investigation.

Am I overly concerned - maybe.

I remember that thread. IIRC, Prior to going BasicMed, the airman was on a special issuance long term and his doctors office was a bit too on-the-ball and sent its yearly status letter to the FAA on the airman's behalf without checking in with the airman first. The FAA received the letter and sent the airman a form letter saying that it needed more information (presumably because they got a letter for a medical application that didn't exist) and included the normal disclaimers that a failure to respond would result in a denial. Etc.

The airman in question contacted CAMI and cleared up the situation. I believe they've also updated their internal processes to not send a letter when such an item comes in without a corresponding medical application.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back