When is it really the best time in your life to learn to fly?

N918KT

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
KT
Just wondering, when is it really the best time in your life to fly and why is it that time? I think the general consensus is between college graduation and marriage and kids (or marriage and no kids). Any other times when the conditions are just right to take a chance on learning to fly?

The best time of your life to learn to fly is right now. It will never cost less, and you will never have fewer responsibilities or more free time.

I earned my PPL in my mid-40s while working full time and working on my Masters of Engineering at night. Started in October, on the bank of the Ohio River. Planes fly really well in the winter, when the runway is clear.

As young as possible.

When I have a kid if he's interested in flying, and how could a kid not be! he'll be soloing a gilder when he's 14.

And for OP. I started at age 36 mid career w/ family. Didn't really cause any major issues. I wish I had done it much younger though.

It will be different for everyone. Personally, I had to wait until my child was grown and through college. YMMV.

Just wondering, when is it really the best time in your life to fly and why is it that time? I think the general consensus is between college graduation and marriage and kids (or marriage and no kids). Any other times when the conditions are just right to take a chance on learning to fly?

Now. If you can't make time now, you won't make time later.

I started when I was 17 (now 20). It was the best time for me to start. Everyone is different.

Now. If you can't make time now, you won't make time later.

Well, I might disagree with that... I finally had time and money at the same time when I was 48. Passed my private check ride right after turning 49. IR at 59. I made time later in life.

However, now is great. As noted, the cost isn't going to go down in the future. Go for it and have a ball.

When you can afford it. Trying to do it without enough money will end up costing you twice as much. You need to hit it hard, 2 lessons a week plus study time 2-4 nights a week.

I don't get it at all.
Mine are 5 and 7 and have zero interest.
I find that totally baffling :sad:

My boys are 19 and 20, the 19 year old has about 60 hours spread over 3+ years and just let his written expire.:mad2::mad2: My 20 yr old wants nothing to do with airplanes, he'll ride with me, if he needs to go somewhere, but he'd rather be on a boat!!:rolleyes:

I don't get it at all.
Trade them in on some new ones.

Or, just make some more.

My boys are 19 and 20, the 19 year old has about 60 hours spread over 3+ years and just let his written expire.:mad2::mad2: My 20 yr old wants nothing to do with airplanes, he'll ride with me, if he needs to go somewhere, but he'd rather be on a boat!!:rolleyes:

See above.

As a teenager. The younger you are when you put flying skills in your head the better pilot you will be. Action sports are starting to see 30-40 year old adults, the ones that were only allowed to ride bicycles in the driveway, showing up. And their brains are incapable of learning how to manage energy and function in a dynamic environment. Guessing the jocks do alright but the regular joes that lived overprotected childhoods suck later in life as pilots.

...it ain't cheap to get nor to maintain...so whenever you have the disposable income if you are doing it for enjoyment/hobby. I started the first time when I was 19 and in the Navy...there was a flying club on base at NAS Memphis and I did about 20 hours or so there but got transferred before I could finish. I was serious enough about it to make it through but it would have been a challenge toward the end with all the other school and duty stuff I had going on. It would have been a heck of a lot cheaper too...it was subsidized a little by the Navy I think - I was paying $70/hr wet for a 152 including my CFI. This was in 1990.

I was 42 when I finally finished it last year. Took me 8 months of flying between work and 3 kids...but tried to keep 2 hours a week to continue moving forward.

I don't think there's a best or perfect time from an age standpoint. If you want a career in it then get started early...just better have the cash or be prepared to take that first job making ~$20k a year, if that, with $150k+ in loan debt to pay off...

Thanks for the replies so far everyone. As much as I wanted to continue learning to fly this summer, my priorities changed as opposed to last summer when I was still in college. Right after I graduated college, I immediately started to look for a "real job" in the aviation industry, preferably in airport management or operations, while I am working my summer job at a cargo facility at EWR. Also I am trying to save money so I can try to live independently as soon as possible. So that's why I'm not so sure this is the best time in my life to learn to fly. Like what some of you said, the best time is when you have the time and money to do it and some of you said it doesn't matter at what age is the best time. It could be at any point in your life, all you need is the right conditions to go forward with flight training.

The best time is when you are young. You only think you are broke and short on time right now. Wait a few years and you will understand, but then it will be too late. Doing it young is best for the brain and best for the budget. Live at home an extra year, the whole move out on your own thing was a uniquely American ideal from the days when the empire was still growing. Do it know or you will be one of those poor saps walking around the airport with their grandkids talking about how they took a couple of flying lessons once...

I fall into the general consensus group. I learned at 26, 4 years after graduating college. I'm not married and have no kids still 4 years later. I've loved flying these last 4 years. I figure when hopefully mariage and kids come flying will take a back seat but it will never go away.

I'm glad I learned when I did. I also think I was mature enough to understand how serious I need to take flying a plane- not sure I would have done that as well I my early 20's.

I don't get it at all.

Familiarity breeds contempt. My kid was ambivalent at best. He ultimately did get his license, but there's really no passion for it like his old man.

Although he did ask if he could get current over the 4th when he's home for a visit.....maybe there's hope...

Start as soon as you can afford it. I started when I finally got a full time job. No regrets.

If your asking the question,your at that time.

I'd say do it once you have the interest. If you want to do it bad enough you will find a way!

As young as you can afford it. I have 13-14 yr old glider students. For them power is next.

Thanks for the replies so far everyone. As much as I wanted to continue learning to fly this summer, my priorities changed as opposed to last summer when I was still in college. Right after I graduated college, I immediately started to look for a "real job" in the aviation industry, preferably in airport management or operations, while I am working my summer job at a cargo facility at EWR. Also I am trying to save money so I can try to live independently as soon as possible. So that's why I'm not so sure this is the best time in my life to learn to fly. Like what some of you said, the best time is when you have the time and money to do it and some of you said it doesn't matter at what age is the best time. It could be at any point in your life, all you need is the right conditions to go forward with flight training.

Well, in a way, I did it like that too. I soloed at 16 but was >30 when I got my ticket. Because life intervened, it was clear flying would not be my career, but I stayed close to aviation, first, 4 years in the Air Force and then 15 years at an airline. I got the PPL in time to take my two young sons and wife on many great trips when they were small enough and light enough to not overgross the 172, and later, the 182.

Everyone's ideal time will depend on their own situation.

It is generally easier to learn and remember new things when you are younger.

You generally don't develop good judgement until you are older.

I view this question in two ways: first, now is no better time than any other. Costs are probably not going to go down any noticeable difference if you wait, and get it out of the way before life gets in the way.

Secondly, the best time is when you are ready to learn. If you don't have the right mindset, learning some of the skill may be more challenging. You want to not only be able to have fun while working towards removing the flying training wheels, but you want to be able to learn how it all works, how to handle any emergency that may arise, and safely navigate our friendly skies.

When you have time, money, and a brain that still functions.

I started at age 28, after I had been working a real job for a few years and could afford it on my own. I wish I started sooner.

As young as possible, when you can afford it, and by that I mean try to have the money ready up front so you can fly as often as possible while training. As others have said, it never gets cheaper and let's say you do have to stop for a while, it's a lot easier to go get current again than it is to go through a full training course.

I started at 36, and took 2 years to get all my ratings. My midlife crisis I guess. Spent 2 years as an instructor, 7 years in Alaska, 6 years in air ambulance, now 2 years as owner of a expanding air ambulance company. I thought I wanted to do the airline thing, but the pay never matched what I was used to before I started flying.

My barriers were that you had to be 15 to get a student license and you had to be 16 to get the PPL but it really doesn't matter, there is no "best" time outside of your personal situation. It's all about enjoying it and not causing yourself or your family to suffer on account of it. I washed airplanes, pumped gas and mowed grass.

As soon as you possibly can, even if you don't have the money up front as long as you can afford about 2 hours per week you will do ok. The earlier you do it the more opportunities will present themselves to use it and/or advance.

I started a 20 yrs old, with a Job delivering pizza's, but I the only other expenses I had were Gas, Insurance (Old car, but no payments) and Food.

Brian
CFIIG/ASEL

Back