When do you think the Dynon certified will be widely available?

Artimas

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Artimas
The Dynon certified equipment looks great at great price point. I just wonder how long it will take until the STC list includes most (meaning mine :D) planes, and there are enough approved installation sites that it can actually be installed in a somewhat timely fashion.

I'm guessing 5 years, but I hope I'm wrong. I'm not getting any younger.

Your guess?

I'm thinking more like two years for few they have in the works. Was seriously hoping for a dynon to meet the ads-b requirements. They are obviously aware of the 2020 impetus. Oh Well.

sheeit, between the adsb mandate (aka all the slackers who waited) and all these new autopilot solutions coming out there must be some shops staying real busy.

Doesn’t matter...

PA32 not on the radar. :mad:

Any IA can do the install. I am an installer, though not on their “certified installer” list yet. They are working on a few new models right now, and are holding out some hope that they may be able to get a blanket STC to cover a lot of models for everything except the auto pilot and possibly the engine monitor, because the rest of the ewuipment is not airplane specific. They are hoping that the blanket STC may be possible after they get through a few more specific model STC’s. It is also possible that a field approval route may be possible at some point. The G5 got a blanket STC. So have many others, but Garmin and others have much more experience with the STC process.

I don’t know what model the OP has.

I think the 2020 comment was in regards to people hoping to utilize the Dynon transponder for ads-b out before 2020. Otherwise they will have to go another route for ADS-B and add the Dynon without the transponder option.

The price point of the Dynon is extremely reasonable.

The PA-32 is on the radar, just possibly not on their official list yet. Same for the Cardinal.

They move pretty quickly. The Skyview gear is just starting to receive STCs. STC purchased from Dynon. Looks like $2k for the 172 and $2500 for Bo's.

The "legacy" Dynon gear is available now. [I have the D-100 in my RV] The EAA STC ($100) covers the following. And it's been only 2 years to crank them all out.

Beechcraft Bonanza / Debonair
Beechcraft Musketeer / Sundowner / Sierra
Beechcraft Skipper

Cessna 150/152 - Commuter / Commuter II / Aerobat
Cessna 170
Cessna 172 - Skyhawk
Cessna 175 - Skylark
Cessna 177 - Cardinal
Cessna 180/185
Cessna 182 - Skylane
Cessna 205 / 206 / 207
Cessna 210

Grumman AA-1/AA-5 - Yankee / Tiger

Piper PA-24 - Comanche
Piper PA-32 - Cherokee Six / Lance / Saratoga
Piper PA-28 - Cherokee / Warrior / Archer / Dakota
Piper PA-38 - Tomahawk

Mooney M20

Maule M-4/5/6/7/8

To confirm that your particular aircraft model and type certificate is eligible, check the EAA STC Approved Model List.

Your aircraft must have been equipped with a pneumatically driven attitude indicator at time of manufacture to be eligible.

I'm flying a C210. I'm still thinking 5 years. I hope I'm wrong.
I'm also wondering if Avidyne is working on a glass cockpit solution as well.I'd also be interested in that.

I’m hoping Dynon will get a similar list like the EAA got above. That is what they are hoping too.

Still a lot of support risk buying Dynon.
Can you explain what you mean by this? Dynon has better support by far than most other Avionics companies I have dealt with.

Can you explain what you mean by this? Dynon has better support by far than most other Avionics companies I have dealt with.

The company has only been around 15 years and is a very small player. If they get eaten by a bigger fish your hardware will be an orphan.

In the world they have been in for 15 years they are the big fish.

The company has only been around 15 years and is a very small player. If they get eaten by a bigger fish your hardware will be an orphan.
For being a "small player" they sure have been a big thorn in the rear for the 900 pound Gorilla for a long time. Garmin has been a day late and a dollar short to dynon in the experimental world since dynon wowed the market with the d10.

Bob

They certainly have a different pricing philosophy than all that came before in the certified market. Instead of pricing as high as the market will bear, they charge a reasonable ($2-2.5k) STC fee and then the same for the equipment as they charge in the experimental market. That’ll shake things up. Garmin cancelled all outside meetings, it’s reported, the day Dynon announced their entrance into the certified market with the Skyview.

Yea Dynon is not a small fish at all. They aren't the whale that Garmin is but give it 5-10 more years and they are on track to be. I like their products better and it is a lot easier to get support. Everyone in the Dynon booth at AV knew their stuff. The Garmin booth was full of salesman that didn't know squat. If I call Dynon I get a person almost right away, Garmin is lucky to even get a voice mail.

I think the Garmin experimental side has gotten the memo. They respond quickly on VAF and the phone.

With the V35B already on the Dynon list, I'm holding out hope that the V35 will be right around the corner. If only they could release a $5,000 IFR GPS as well.

If only they could release a $5,000 IFR GPS as well.

The system comes with a WAAS GPS but that is only a small part of an IFR navigator. Software, databases, functionality all must meet stringent FAA requirements. It costs many millions to develop.

Back