When do you peruse your logbook(s)?

Ravioli

Ejection Handle Pulled
Display Name

Display name:
Unwanted Guest - Perma-ban Pending
Question came to mind when reading another thread about electronic books.

I have two times I can think of: Annually to report to the insurance companies and when working on a rating or certificate.

Are there other times you take interest in it?

I still relate it to my diving log which I don't keep up with, but some guys do very fastidiously.

Trivia questions like, "How many more airports to land at in the State?" or something like "What percentage of your flight hours are at night?"

Stuff usually starts here with someone mentioning theirs and asking about it.

(Edit: Damn iphone replaced "your" with "you're" and I didn't catch it.)

Last edited:
Annually for insurance only.

If I look at it any other time I automatically start translating the hours into $ fuel burned, and thats not inspirational at all. :(

Trivia questions like, "How many more airports to land at in the State?" or something like "What percentage of you're flight hours are at night?"

Stuff usually starts here with someone mentioning theirs and asking about it.
That's a lot of mine. "When was your first solo IFR flight?" The two other top contenders are insurance applications and currency.

Of course, it depends on your definition of "peruse." If you just mean browse through it for the heck of it, not too often.

Of course, it depends on your definition of "peruse." If you just mean browse through it for the heck of it, not too often.

ROFL - Being the pedant that I am, I'm using the CORRECT definition of peruse. ;)

pe·ruse
pəˈro͞oz/
verb
formal
  1. read (something), typically in a thorough or careful way.
    "he has spent countless hours in libraries perusing art history books and catalogues"
    • examine carefully or at length.
      "Laura perused a Caravaggio"
      synonyms: read, study, scrutinize, inspect, examine, wade through, look through; More

Quite frequently,like to keep up on ,who I have taken for a flight lately.

Don't peruse often enough and I forget to enter flights times from time to time....:)

ROFL - Being the pedant that I am, I'm using the CORRECT definition of peruse. ;)

pe·ruse
pəˈro͞oz/
verb
formal
  1. read (something), typically in a thorough or careful way.
    "he has spent countless hours in libraries perusing art history books and catalogues"
    • examine carefully or at length.
      "Laura perused a Caravaggio"
      synonyms: read, study, scrutinize, inspect, examine, wade through, look through; More
In that case, I might search it, I might run a query on it, but by the formal definition, I almost never "peruse" it. I think the last time I "perused" it was when I exported my data to my current online logbook and was trying to locate and correct errors. Mostly arithmetic but I also needed to figure out where that flight in Africa came from :D

In the film One Six Right, an old timer says, "I wrote in my logbook, 'This is a love story. If found, please, PLEASE call and return this book.'"

With the 50th anniversary of my first solo coming up in less than a month, I understand exactly what he means. The names of CFIs, students and passengers, the airplanes, the airports, the cryptic references to inflight events, are all priceless memories. I find myself flipping the pages of the old volumes more often lately ...

Last edited:
My original one I look at for sentimental reasons sometimes. My latest one? I usually forget (or don't bother) to log anything beyond the minimum entries for currency.

Every time some noob thread asks how long it took you to solo or to get you PPL. :)

It's kinda the tale of my flying, I like to keep it up to date, I'm also pretty comment intensive on some of it

Not too often. The next time someone will be going through my logbook is when I do my interview in a few years. I'll probably just keep doing paper. Everyone says electronic is the way to go but I just like having a paper copy. I've been starting to scan each page. It hasn't been too bad since I'm only at like ~2600TT and almost done with my second logbook.

When planning a long cross country some months ago I pulled out old logbooks from 30 years ago to remember what airports I'd stopped at the last time I was through that area. Made me smile, remembering some of those earlier trips.

Because those numbers keep changing?
Let me help you with that.;)
[Sarcasm]Every time some noob thread asks how long it took you to solo or to get you PPL. :) [/Sarcasm]

Let me help you with that.;)
[Sarcasm]Every time some noob thread asks how long it took you to solo or to get you PPL. :) [/Sarcasm]

I was going to hypothesize loss of long term memory. But I forgot.

Back