When did you...

john smith

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
john smith
I was reading an article in GA News and it got me to thinking about a couple questions for the non-commercial pilot population ...

1) Have you had spin training?

2) How much time passed between receiving your PPL and your first spin training lesson?

3) What aircraft did you learn spins in?

4) Have you done spins in any other aircraft since?

1) - back in the early 70's
2) -20 hours - I had spin training early in my training
3) C-150
4) Lot's of spins in gliders 1-26, 2-33, 2-22, 1-34, Grob acro. No spinning in aircraft not certified for them.

I was reading an article in GA News and it got me to thinking about a couple questions for the non-commercial pilot population ...

2) How much time passed between receiving your PPL and your first spin training lesson?

I probably don't count as the non-commercial pilot population, but...

1) Yes, first time in 1977.

2) I was shown a spin just pre or post solo, I can't remember which. I was taught how to spin and recover before taking my private checkride.

3) Cessna 150

4) I've also done spins in a C-152, Citabria, Super Decathlon and a Pitts. This was over a very long time period between instances. I've probably only spun an airplane less than 20 times.

Yes, I have.

3ish years.

The mighty Cessna 150/2.

Yes, Extra300.

My spin training consisted of spin avoidance.

1. Yes
2. I went through spin training before my PPL.
3. DA20
4. Yes

1, yes

2, concurrent, first spin was around hour 3 as the result of a power on stall without enough rudder.

3, C152

4, yes, quite a few.

:no:

1) Have you had spin training? NO.

2) How much time passed between receiving your PPL and your first spin training lesson? 13 years and counting.

3) What aircraft did you learn spins in? None.

4) Have you done spins in any other aircraft since? No.
:nonod:

Last edited:
None for me yet. However I'm currently working on scheduling it with my CFI, since I'll have to do it during CFI training anyway. I'm excited for them. I personally feel it should be a requirement for pre-solo.

I like doing something different for a BFR.
As long as I'm paying an instructor, why not do something more than the normal airwork and touch & gos?

I took spin training in a C-150 Aerobat for one of my early BFRs.

While I was very apprehensive, I thought I should, just to be a better pilot.

Had no idea they were so much fun! Though it's been quite a while, I've spun that same 150 several times since.

I like doing something different for a BFR.
As long as I'm paying an instructor, why not do something more than the normal airwork and touch & gos?

I took spin training in a C-150 Aerobat for one of my early BFRs.

While I was very apprehensive, I thought I should, just to be a better pilot.

Had no idea they were so much fun! Though it's been quite a while, I've spun that same 150 several times since.

Keep going and pick up some more aerobatics. The 150 Aerobat isn't the most prestigious airshow performer out there but it does a fair job of the basics.

1. Yes
2. I went through spin training during initial PP training.
3. C172
4. No

Haven't had any spin training yet, only a little aerobatics. I'll be taking more aero lessons in the Super Decathlon, soon.

I'm six ft. 195lbs. medium build and find it a bit of a challenge climbing into and out of the aircraft.

How the heck could I expect to egress from the plane with a chute on? :dunno:
We didn't wear them for the acro.

I know they're not required as long as there's only me and the instructor on board. Just wondering what others do.

Haven't had any spin training yet, only a little aerobatics. I'll be taking more aero lessons in the Super Decathlon, soon.

I'm six ft. 195lbs. medium build and find it a bit of a challenge climbing into and out of the aircraft.

We didn't wear them for the acro.

I know they're not required as long as there's only me and the instructor on board. Just wondering what others do.

It's been a long time, but from my recollection of the rules back in the mid 90s when I cared was that the only instructional exemption to the chute rule was spin training. I know when I had aerobatic instruction we were required chutes. If I took up a buddy and took him for a loop and some maneuvers to lose altitude into destination in a qualified aircraft without a chute, that's ok, but as soon as money changes hands whether it's instruction or a ride requires a chute. Anyway, that's my recollection of the rules.

Thing that surprised me though is that you got aerobatic instruction without spins. You should learn to fall before you learn to climb lol.

1 - yes
2 - 4 days into private training
3 - c-152
4 - yes

I got my private ticket around 20 years ago at a place where I was guaranteed a license for a 1 price up front cost. The school guaranteed its ATP students a job on completion of cfii and would hire them if they could not place them elsewhere. My instructor told me he had an instrument student and me; the instrument student was on vacation the week I was there so he intended to feed me hours as that was the only way he would get paid. I got 60 hours in 10 days. He put me in spins under the hood. He gave me the plane inverted under the hood. Yes, all sorts of spins, except for the flat and inverted pitts type spin.

Last edited:

I'm 6'5" 230#. That was my thought exactly when Diana took me up for some acro in the back seat of the Citabria. But I suppose if my life were on the line, I'd find a way, especially considering I'd not be worried about breaking something in the cabin.

It's been a long time, but from my recollection of the rules back in the mid 90s when I cared was that the only instructional exemption to the chute rule was spin training. I know when I had aerobatic instruction we were required chutes. If I took up a buddy and took him for a loop and some maneuvers to lose altitude into destination in a qualified aircraft without a chute, that's ok, but as soon as money changes hands whether it's instruction or a ride requires a chute. Anyway, that's my recollection of the rules.

Thing that surprised me though is that you got aerobatic instruction without spins. You should learn to fall before you learn to climb lol.

I thought according to 91.307. "crew member" also meant student and instructor. No?

I'm 6'5" 230#. That was my thought exactly when Diana took me up for some acro in the back seat of the Citabria. But I suppose if my life were on the line, I'd find a way, especially considering I'd not be worried about breaking something in the cabin.
We made it work. :D And if we needed to egress in a hurry, I'm sure you'd be right behind me. :yes:

Successfully getting out of some airframes is definitely something that remains in question for anyone not making their living in Cirque du Soliel, especially if you have gyroscopic forces involved.

I thought according to 91.307. "crew member" also meant student and instructor. No?

Negative, crew members are denote either by design and listed on the type certificate or occupation, such as a loadmaster or forest service spotter and typically will be operating under a Restricted certificate.

Negative, crew members are denote either by design and listed on the type certificate or occupation, such as a loadmaster or forest service spotter and typically will be operating under a Restricted certificate.

Thanks. I just read it, guess I misunderstood the meaning.

"Crewmember means a person assigned to perform duty in an aircraft during flight time."

6'5! and I thought I had a challenge:lol:

Thanks. I just read it, guess I misunderstood the meaning.

"Crewmember means a person assigned to perform duty in an aircraft during flight time."

Right, if you read elsewhere you'll note that instruction is considered outside that. You must peel the onion of meaning :lol:.

1. Yes.
2. During PPL training.
3. C-150.
4. Yes, Decathalon.

Successfully getting out of some airframes is definitely something that remains in question for anyone not making their living in Cirque du Soliel, especially if you have gyroscopic forces involved.

Yeah and that's AFTER getting the harness off:yikes: :rolleyes2:
Sounds like a false sense of security to me.

No.

The C-152 I trained in was placarded against spins. FBO owner didn't want any of his other airplanes (C-172s) spun.

Less expensive to placard than to comply with the Ad; I placarded the 150 I owned when this came out. Or, I guess it would be more correct to say, placarding was the less expensive means on complying with the AD.
http://www.eaa.org/news/2009/2009-05-14_ad.asp

Last edited:
Yeah and that's AFTER getting the harness off:yikes: :rolleyes2:
Sounds like a false sense of security to me.

Here's a guy that made it out of a Citabria in a spin. He lived in this area for awhile and flew our Citabria when another local pilot owned it. He was also a local cropduster until he moved to Texas.

In this picture he is standing in front of the wreckage of the Citabria he successfully bailed out of.

Attachments

• kellyneil.jpg
    kellyneil.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 16
1. Yes
2. about -2 months (spin training in July, checkride in Sept)
3. C-172
4. Not just no, but **** no. :no:

Nope.

And I probably never will. I zero interest in experiencing those parts of the flight envelope.

Yes.

Prior to my PPL I did some spins with my CFI. After the checkride I did more in a 172.

152 Aerobat and C-172.

Yes. Lots.

Back