When did you last practice a simulated engine failure?

A couple of weeks ago I spiraled down from 3000' AGL and 2 miles south of the field.

But...

Every time I land I chop the power abeam the numbers so, I guess you could say I simulate an engine failure every time I land!

While I practice idle power landings every few months, I have a reservation about my odds of success if I have to do it for real. It is my understanding that the drag of a stopped prop is materially less than the drag of one at idle power. My concern is that where I fly most frequently (NY/Philly corridor) means that if my engine fails I am likely going to be trying to squeeze an off-airport landing into a small space. If the plane, in a real engine out situation with the prop stopped, glides much better than it does during my practice, will I be likely to land longer than I want...maybe over running what was a land able field.

I recognize that I can try engine out practice at altitude with the prop stopped. But my concerns about a landing emergency haven't yet been strong enough to get me to pull the mixture and stop the prop in the air.

While I practice idle power landings every few months, I have a reservation about my odds of success if I have to do it for real. It is my understanding that the drag of a stopped prop is materially less than the drag of one at idle power. My concern is that where I fly most frequently (NY/Philly corridor) means that if my engine fails I am likely going to be trying to squeeze an off-airport landing into a small space. If the plane, in a real engine out situation with the prop stopped, glides much better than it does during my practice, will I be likely to land longer than I want...maybe over running what was a land able field.

I recognize that I can try engine out practice at altitude with the prop stopped. But my concerns about a landing emergency haven't yet been strong enough to get me to pull the mixture and stop the prop in the air.

Check out the video I posted. They test this theory and in their test, the engine at idle is still creating enough thrust to make a difference. Either way, some interesting findings.

To (I think) clarify:
At a busy towered airport, doing a short approach (without asking Tower first) may mess up Tower's planned sequencing of aircraft.
I would not do a power-off 180 at my home airport without asking for a short approach (or for the option) and getting the Tower's blessing.
It's often busy enough that I'd be cutting someone off if I did one unannounced.
You would only cut someone off if they didn't tell you your sequence and/or your traffic to follow. Or they told you something other than #1 and you weren't paying attention.

However, you could still mess up their plans (and another pilot's day) if they were trying to clear someone for takeoff ahead of you.

Also, I'm pretty sure "the option" doesn't include a short approach (AIM 4-3-22).

My last practice was unfortunately the real deal.

Fly the plane! Practice engine outs are worth your time. Even better is to have an out at each runway at your home airport. Engine out practice landings are fine but don’t forget to practice that engine out on departure. Things happen really fast, there’s no time to second guess. Have a plan and work it.

I pulled the mixture in the skycatcher today at 4000 feet, a couple miles from the airport. Could not get the prop to stop even at just over stall speed......

Did a nice slip over the threshold and landed about 1/3 down the runway.

Good fun.

I pulled the mixture in the skycatcher today at 4000 feet, a couple miles from the airport. Could not get the prop to stop even at just over stall speed......

Did a nice slip over the threshold and landed about 1/3 down the runway.

Good fun.

Always good to know what your own aircraft will and won't do!

Back