When did you last practice a simulated engine failure?

WannFly

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Priyo
the other thread on when did you last go around made me think ... I havent practiced a simulated engine out to a full landing in a long time, i have done it at altitude and put the engine back on at 2000 AGL, but i think the last time i did a full landing without power was a while back... what about you?

I am still training so I do one about every other flight. Last one was during my second and last night flight. I was about 3000 AGL when I pulled power so it too quite a while to get down, but also was good practice to hit the targets for downwind and final altitudes. And I just needed to get the night hours racked up so gliding was a cheap and easy was to burn .2.

Once a month or so depending on traffic. I really should do it more often than at the home 'drome, though.

the other thread on when did you last go around made me think ... I havent practiced a simulated engine out to a full landing in a long time, i have done it at altitude and put the engine back on at 2000 AGL, but i think the last time i did a full landing without power was a while back... what about you?

Engine back on as in you turned it off? Or did you just pull the throttle to idle?

Last week over farm land the instructor pulled the power. In my brain was ready for it to come at some point (renewing my CPL right now), however my performance generally sucked. I picked a field too quickly without even considering wind direction. Got distracted with that and best glide, so was slow to do the checklist, then started doing the wrong checklist (one for engine out on takeoff roll). Instructor gently corrected. I clearly need to do a few more soon.

I used to play a little game with my Cherokee. I would fly it up to about 4 or 5K feet nearby a small airport. Check to make certain there isn't any traffic, and then pull the power. The goal was to land the aircraft in a full stall with flaps on the first third of the runway. I haven't yet done that in the Mooney. I am just not as confident in my energy management skills in the Mooney, and it is a bit pickier about how it gets landed. One f these days though, since its fun, and a really god exercise in energy management.

I last did a simulated engine failure about 4 years ago, so its definitely time to practice a few.

I did a REAL engine failure in 1998. I don't recommend those...

When I was flying skydivers every landing was power off from around 10,000 feet. I haven’t practiced it as much since I quit doing that but I don’t feel my proficiency has diminished enough to have me concerned about the outcome.

I think the most important thing is to know the airplane you’re flying. An airplane like an Arrow or Bonanza is not going to glide the same way that a 152 or 172 will. If you try to apply you’re 152/172 techniques to the Arrow/Bonanza, you’re going to come up short of your desired field.

For those of us flying a variety of aircraft types on a regular basis, I’d suggest practicing a bit in every type you fly.

Trent Palmer and friends doing an experiment related to this.

I'm going for "King of stupid questions" but this one occurred to me...

Some mention being quite high in altitude, either pulling to idle or cutting the engine (does anyone do that?) but what about too rapid cooling of the engine? Do you rev it up every X amount of descent? Thinking that actually cutting the engine would still be danger to it.

Yesterday! Had a student with the foggles on and after awhile told him to take off the foggles. As he did I pulled power and said engine just quit. He slows to best glide and I said better find somewhere to touch down. He looks around and says, surprised, there's an airport right below us! It's a miracle! Anywho, he made the runway, wasn't pretty but we lived, or would have lived, you know.

Today. Was still climbing about 400-500 ft/min.

For ME fixed wing, back in May during my check ride. My scrawny legs are still sore.

For ME rotor wing, about 7 years ago. Fortunately for my scrawny legs, SE failure doesn’t affect yaw.

For SE rotor wing (to the ground), 18 years ago.

For SE airplane (probably the intend of the thread), 7 years ago.

I would not be too worried about engine cooling in my 150 right now at least with the warm temperatures. And in an engine out scenario, you are looking for best glide which takes a long time to get down and at a slow airspeed so there should not be much air flowing over the engine anyways. I guess a simulated engine fire/emergency descent at idle right after a long climb would be a candidate for concern perhaps. Am I wrong?

I do clear the engine a few times on the way down and have full carb heat (as long as I remember it!). Never stopped the prop, but perhaps I will find an instructor that will want to do that with me some day.

I'm going for "King of stupid questions" but this one occurred to me...

Some mention being quite high in altitude, either pulling to idle or cutting the engine (does anyone do that?) but what about too rapid cooling of the engine? Do you rev it up every X amount of descent? Thinking that actually cutting the engine would still be danger to it.
you just started a "shock cooling" war :cheers:

If I'm in my Citabria, every trip around the pattern. I make nearly every landing in that airplane as a power off 180.

About a month ago to landing with idle power. Probably do about 3 or 4 a year.

Did four power off 180's last week :) Didn't make the first two :( So I have 2 go arounds in the "go around" thread too.

So it looks like 50% of you are screwed when the time comes for real.

So it looks like 50% of you are screwed when the time comes for real.
Not sure how you derived the "50% of you are screwed" part??? I was the only one who reported missing my first 2 of 4 attempts. Everyone else who responded didn't indicate any type of problems.

Even in my first 2 failed attempts I would have just landed on the grass about 100ft before the start of the runway. I'm sure those pesky REIL's would have done a number on my prop though. But then again with a real engine out I would have had 105% of the runway length available :)

Even in my first 2 failed attempts I would have just landed on the grass about 100ft before the start of the runway.

Or in a more realistic scenario, you would have crashed into the trees short of the field you were targeting. I'm not optimistic that those who practice engine out landings once a month, a few times a year, or every few years will be able to put their plane down where they want with precision when it really matters.

From altitude simulating an actual there I was flying along minding my own business and the engine took a dump, never. From being in the pattern, just a few days ago pulling it abeam the numbers and doing power off 180’s. From midfield downwind, a couple years ago. That was at an airport with more than just a couple thousand feet of runway

Or in a more realistic scenario, you would have crashed into the trees short of the field you were targeting. I'm not optimistic that those who practice engine out landings once a month, a few times a year, or every few years will be able to put their plane down where they want with precision when it really matters.
You have a good point but can I add a few more details then...

I was specifically practicing trying to land as close to the numbers as I could. I knew I could easily have landed about the center of the runway. And during all my training (engine outs and power off 180's) I did always clear tree lines and make runways (for the PO 180's). Actually my most memorable mistake was picking a field and then seeing a power line but I was able to take another option to the side.

However I will end with...you are right...when it is for real....would I misjudge a tree line or power line or clearing a lake...I know its very possible and probably don't practice it enough.

And then a question for you...you seem quite skeptical of this type of training (or pilots ability to pull this off reliably)...do you practice this routinely?

And then a question for you...you seem quite skeptical of this type of training (or pilots ability to pull this off reliably)...do you practice this routinely?

I think the fact that you care to practice at all puts you ahead of the game. But yes - every single landing I do is from idle power pulled on downwind, slipping, adjusting turn rate, approach angle, etc to put the plane down exactly where I want without the need to add power. But I understand that many pilots are simply a product of their training - which these days involves 1-2 mile 3-degree PAPI approaches as SOP. Not very good for learning to deal with landing after an engine failure.

i think the last time i did a full landing without power was a while back... what about you?
Several months ago. Glided to the nearest airport with a few feet to spare. Got lucky. Did a nice landing too.
Oh wait, you're asking about a SIMULATED power-off landing?
Sorry.

Last edited:
But I understand that many pilots are simply a product of their training - which these days involves 1-2 mile 3-degree PAPI approaches as SOP. Not very good for learning to deal with landing after an engine failure.
FLC, dial in V(best glide), NRST, D->, enter, enter

Not recently enough. I’ve been actually waiting for my CFI to pull during a lesson as he’s know for that. I’m going up this weekend lesson or not going to do this. Just make sure I don’t wall it on the go if I miss as the 182 doesn’t like a lot of fuel all at once. It’s a bigger fan of gradual power addition

I think the fact that you care to practice at all puts you ahead of the game. But yes - every single landing I do is from idle power pulled on downwind, slipping, adjusting turn rate, approach angle, etc to put the plane down exactly where I want without the need to add power. But I understand that many pilots are simply a product of their training - which these days involves 1-2 mile 3-degree PAPI approaches as SOP. Not very good for learning to deal with landing after an engine failure.

:rolleyes: So you're a VFR pilot at a small airport, got it.

Uncontrolled but fairly busy airport actually. Not sure what you're aiming for with your statement. Airline pilots don't exactly regularly practice the Sully maneuver, but this is a general pilot forum dude. No excuse for regular pilots flying pistons to not practice power off landings enough to be able to do them with precision. You choose your own level of competence. Looks like I may have offended the level of yours. :rolleyes:

Not recently enough. I’ve been actually waiting for my CFI to pull during a lesson as he’s know for that. I’m going up this weekend lesson or not going to do this. Just make sure I don’t wall it on the go if I miss as the 182 doesn’t like a lot of fuel all at once. It’s a bigger fan of gradual power addition
Yeah that! Our 182 (carb'd) doesn't like the throttle being pushed in fast either. But the only 2 times I've heard it stumble was immediately after removing carb heat first. If I 'smartly' push in full throttle and then remove carb heat it seems much less susceptible. Plus it gives me 90% of the power right away and 10% right afterwards instead of the other way around.

I fall in that category. With the exception of some nearby Delta traffic coming in for practice landings and approaches, out airport can be pretty sleepy. Plus all the older guys (I think now just 6 of them) always fly and have landed before I wake up. So if I do this late afternoon or early evening I have it all to myself.

The Delta I trained at seemed to almost always support short approaches and practicing power off 180's if requested and traffic permitted. And I am sure a handful of pilots just landed like @RoscoeT as well. My first CFI drilled in a tighter pattern. If anything I have probably gotten a bit to lax, especially at new-to-me airports.

Uncontrolled but fairly busy airport actually. Not sure what you're aiming for with your statement...You choose your own level of competence. Looks like I may have offended the level of yours.

To (I think) clarify:
At a busy towered airport, doing a short approach (without asking Tower first) may mess up Tower's planned sequencing of aircraft.
I would not do a power-off 180 at my home airport without asking for a short approach (or for the option) and getting the Tower's blessing.
It's often busy enough that I'd be cutting someone off if I did one unannounced.

(Edit: Matt, this is what I was interpreting what you were saying anyway...)

Last edited:
Back