When corporate dreams come true. (long)

NJP_MAN

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Shawn
Sorry for grammatical and spelling errors. (Mobile)

the style of LDJ I wanted to make a thread that follows along in my corporate career. Hopefully I can give some information that somebody can find useful. Even though I haven't always dreamt of flying corporate or flying at all for that matter, I thought I would borrow the name.

Brief background.

I didn't always want to fly. I was one of those people who though only the military was training pilots. This is probably only because I grew up in a place where nobody would have ever thought to become a pilot.

I worked for a company contracting to General Electric providing services during scheduled power outages. We did industrial hygiene kinds of duties right at the power generators. This line of work keeps you busy in the spring and fall (lowest power usage times of the year) so during a summer off I started working at a coporate hangar in Arizona. This was the first time I really saw people flight training and I decided I was going all in.

At 28 or 29 I started flight train many do. A discovery flight and some tough choices led me to going to a guy off Craigs list for the lessons. I decided to go all in and stopped doing the contracting work and focused on flight training and worked in Arizona. Over the course of 2.5 years I went from zero time to CFI (except MEL) paying cash as I went.

I did a very brief time flight instructing and then was pick up to fly C208s at a VFR 135 operation. After about 7 months and 400 Hrs I decided to add on MEL and see what I couldn't get involved with. After a short time I was offered a spot in AZ flying a P180, which I rolled into a deal where I was also going to fly a CE525(M2).

I have recently started the 61.55 for a operator flying CE560XL. And once I finish that I have been approved to do the same in a F2TH EX EASy 2.

I just wanted to make a thread showing people that there are some really cool paths to take in an aviation career. My disclaimer is that I don't particularly like flying planes. I like providing a service to a customer and having a lot of fun along the way. I like going to destinations and exploring the places I wouldn't otherwise ever visit. I dont care about flight time and whether something is log-able. If I make a log in the deposit column in my check book then thats all the logging I care about. I dont plan on going to an airline down the road unless I get a crazy urge to see what 121 is all about. Right now I'm happy with how things look and that's what counts I guess.

Did corporate style flying for a looooong time. Customer service is nice, but if you don't like flying planes you may be in the wrong business. There are other businesses that deal with customer service other than flying. When you fly for a living you better love flying because you will be flying in someone else's schedule, to the places someone else wants to go. You will also be flying in all types of weather, including picking your way through major lines of thunderstorms.
I'm typed in the 560XL. Its a compilation of a few different Citations with VG's and strikers stuck to it. Kind of odd actually. A stab that moves with flaps, the shaking vibration when climbing heavy and high.. At least it has an APU and external lab servicing.
Don't mean to be a downer.

Nice imput. I totally understand all you're saying Kritch. I didn't say I don't like it. I said that flying isn't exactly the best part of the job. I have a few fall backs if I don't like flying and some positives

1. I have paid off every dollar of flight training so I don't feel obligated to stay here because I have loans in flying so I better fly. I'm not trapped I guess.

2. I have done many other jobs and I don't hate those either. If all airplanes were parked in the world tomorrow I wouldn't cry I would just do something else and be happy.

4. After getting an ATP I plan on going back to school in some capacity (maybe A&P or maybe get another bachelors) just for the challenge of it and feeling of accomplishment. I'm happy where I am currently so that's great.

Nice imput. I totally understand all you're saying Kritch. I didn't say I don't like it. I said that flying isn't exactly the best part of the job. I have a few fall backs if I don't like flying and some positives

1. I have paid off every dollar of flight training so I don't feel obligated to stay here because I have loans in flying so I better fly. I'm not trapped I guess.

2. I have done many other jobs and I don't hate those either. If all airplanes were parked in the world tomorrow I wouldn't cry I would just do something else and be happy.

4. After getting an ATP I plan on going back to school in some capacity (maybe A&P or maybe get another bachelors) just for the challenge of it and feeling of accomplishment. I'm happy where I am currently so that's great.
Yeah, I didn't mean to come across so negative. Sorry about that. The most important thing is that you are enjoying it, and if that's the case, I truly think it's excellent.

Yeah, I didn't mean to come across so negative. Sorry about that. The most important thing is that you are enjoying it, and if that's the case, I truly think it's excellent.

Thanks. And I didn't take any offense. Aviation is a good place for me because the potential to grow helps satisfy the need to achieve bigger and better things.

Glad you are enjoying the corporate life. I hope to be moving on to the 135 or 121 life in a year or so. I'm around 630TT and will probably do my multi add on in September or October. I enjoyed reading your post as it sheds some light on what to expect! I still have time to think about whether or not to 135 or 121. I hope this career works out for yu.

Glad you are enjoying the corporate life. I hope to be moving on to the 135 or 121 life in a year or so. I'm around 630TT and will probably do my multi add on in September or October. I enjoyed reading your post as it sheds some light on what to expect! I still have time to think about whether or not to 135 or 121. I hope this career works out for yu.
Thanks Jordan

I have followed your posts and think you have made similar strides as myself. Its always fun to see how people get to the destination when there are so many paths.

I am sure you have your multi school selected already but if you have not, I would highly suggest you give Tom a call at Traverse Air. He was by far the cheapest and most pleasant guy to work with. Both his "go-to" examiners were absolute gentlemen and made for a fantastic experience in northern MI. Kid Rock was right.

I've done a combination of charter and corporate for quite a while and would say that I enjoy the new people new places (at least most of them) aspect. But I would warn people that it is a service job and you meet all kinds.

Good for you for not going in debt just to fly. I paid for all my flight training with money I made from selling a business. Not being in debt made it a lot easier to not take really crappy jobs, just starting with only mildly crappy jobs...:lol:

I sure lived better than those with tremendous loans to pay off.

Good for you for not going in debt just to fly. I paid for all my flight training with money I made from selling a business. Not being in debt made it a lot easier to not take really crappy jobs, just starting with only mildly crappy jobs...:lol:

I sure lived better than those with tremendous loans to pay off.

This is the best choice I ever made. It took longer than I wanted originally but when I look back it went by so fast. I hate to see people get lured in my the $70k loan for the 180 day quick course. Working line service while I trained helped me meet so many flight crews that I'm overwhelmed with opportunities now while some guys are stuck flying jobs they dont really like wondering how I get all the good breaks.

I always pay my good fortunes forward too. I try to help friends the way I was helped early on.

Did the last couple days on the Lake in Ontario and flew a Repo to KSMO. Back out to Indiana tomorrow since the passengers bought the crew tickets to the Notre Dame hand egg game. This has been a great trip. Lots more to do still.

Sorry for grammatical and spelling errors. (Mobile)

the style of LDJ I wanted to make a thread that follows along in my corporate career. Hopefully I can give some information that somebody can find useful. Even though I haven't always dreamt of flying corporate or flying at all for that matter, I thought I would borrow the name.

Brief background.

I didn't always want to fly. I was one of those people who though only the military was training pilots. This is probably only because I grew up in a place where nobody would have ever thought to become a pilot.

I worked for a company contracting to General Electric providing services during scheduled power outages. We did industrial hygiene kinds of duties right at the power generators. This line of work keeps you busy in the spring and fall (lowest power usage times of the year) so during a summer off I started working at a coporate hangar in Arizona. This was the first time I really saw people flight training and I decided I was going all in.

At 28 or 29 I started flight train many do. A discovery flight and some tough choices led me to going to a guy off Craigs list for the lessons. I decided to go all in and stopped doing the contracting work and focused on flight training and worked in Arizona. Over the course of 2.5 years I went from zero time to CFI (except MEL) paying cash as I went.

I did a very brief time flight instructing and then was pick up to fly C208s at a VFR 135 operation. After about 7 months and 400 Hrs I decided to add on MEL and see what I couldn't get involved with. After a short time I was offered a spot in AZ flying a P180, which I rolled into a deal where I was also going to fly a CE525(M2).

I have recently started the 61.55 for a operator flying CE560XL. And once I finish that I have been approved to do the same in a F2TH EX EASy 2.

I just wanted to make a thread showing people that there are some really cool paths to take in an aviation career. My disclaimer is that I don't particularly like flying planes. I like providing a service to a customer and having a lot of fun along the way. I like going to destinations and exploring the places I wouldn't otherwise ever visit. I dont care about flight time and whether something is log-able. If I make a log in the deposit column in my check book then thats all the logging I care about. I dont plan on going to an airline down the road unless I get a crazy urge to see what 121 is all about. Right now I'm happy with how things look and that's what counts I guess.

CONGRATS!! Life is short so Have Fun!!!!

Congrats! And you're welcome to borrow the thread concept!

I hope to try the corporate flying once I age out of 121. We'll see. In a best-case scenario it will be a company would allow me to take my wife along when seats were open!

I also concur on being debt-free. I couldn't have done what I am doing now if I had carried any debt. Some of my classmates in 121 training are carrying $70-100K in student loans. That's a crushing debt load, especially at first-year regional pay. I, frankly, have no idea how they do it....other than with parental support (they're all young!)

Enjoy and let us know how it all goes.

Back