When are ICAO format flight plans required?

FORANE

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
FORANE
When are ICAO format flight plans required domestically?

Looks like the FAA prefers this format, and planned to convert to it but has postponed the implementation for now. According to fltplan.com, all RNAV plans require ICAO.

International (ICAO) Flight Plan Filing
Criteria for use

The FAA prefers users to file ICAO format flight plans for all flights. An ICAO format flight plan MUST be used when:

The flight will enter international airspace, including oceanic airspace controlled by FAA facilities.

The flight expects routing or separation based on Performance Based Navigation (PBN), e.g. RNAV 1.

The flight will enter RVSM airspace.

The flight expects services based on ADS-B.

Above from http://www.faa.gov/about/office_org...nits/air_traffic_services/flight_plan_filing/

If you enter the information for your airplane into fltplan.com and tell it to file ICAO flight plans, it will. It's not as if you need to fill out the ICAO form each time.

I use ICAO format to file IFR with fltplan and ForeFlight. But I'm not sure if it is necessary yet. For a long time the FAA was just converting them to the old domestic format, if you filed ICAO.

If you enter the information for your airplane into fltplan.com and tell it to file ICAO flight plans, it will. It's not as if you need to fill out the ICAO form each time.
True, but for many, filling it out the first time is too complex an exercise (yes I've done it for both FltPlan and ForeFlight).

Yes, I use fltplan.com and have filed ICAO plans many times that way; it is very easy. I wonder though when I call 800-wxbrief and file on the phone with them. Thus far, they always ask for the domestic format data.

The flight expects routing or separation based on Performance Based Navigation (PBN), e.g. RNAV 1.

The flight expects services based on ADS-B.
What is RNAV 1?
What services might one expect based on ADS-B? Obviously WX and traffic come from ADS-B, but is this saying ADS-B services in lieu of radar services?
I currently have ADS-B out in 1 plane and will soon have it in the other. Both our planes are /G.

Last edited:
What is RNAV 1?
It is related to Required Navigation Performance (RNP). It is a specification which is used to determine if your flight management system can, and is based on real-time Actual Navigation Performance (ANP), meet the navigation accuracy requirements of the airway or procedure to be flown.

The link below has more information than you'll want to know. Skip around to find what you want, instead of following it through sequentially, if it is too much information.

https://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/headquarters_offices/avs/offices/afs/afs400/afs470/pbn/media/RNAV1_RNP1_RNAV2/movie.swf

The ICAO flight plan includes RNP information telling ATC what RNP you are capable of flying.

What services might one expect based on ADS-B? Obviously WX and traffic come from ADS-B, but is this saying ADS-B services in lieu of radar services?
It's more about ADS-B out capability than that you have an ADS-B in unit connected to your tablet.

Remember that the major goal NextGen is to allow more freedom for route selection based on the ability of aircraft to see each others' positions. Your ADS-B code tells the system you have that capability.

True, but for many, filling it out the first time is too complex an exercise .

For the first time, definitely, for the equipment and so forth.

What's needed is a practical guide for spam-can drivers. Maybe four or five typical cases, each with the codes for equipment explained.

It's more about ADS-B out capability than that you have an ADS-B in unit connected to your tablet.

Remember that the major goal NextGen is to allow more freedom for route selection based on the ability of aircraft to see each others' positions. Your ADS-B code tells the system you have that capability.
ok, sure, I have ADS-B out right now in one of our planes and I plan to install in the other one in a week or so. When I tell the system that I have that capability, what happens then in terms of my services? Does anything change on my end? Does ATC discontinue traffic alerts or limit them in some way?

Back