What's wrong in this picture?

BigBadLou

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Lou
I am posting this thread specifically in the training section for students because I assume that seasoned pilots will recognize the problem instantly. (yes, I know what it means to assume, yeah, yeah :) ).

So what seems to be wrong in this picture? (attached)

History: found this picture in a promo flier for a safety class, IIRC. To say the least, it surprised me. :eek:

Attachments

• Altimeter.jpg
    Altimeter.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 511
The large needle of the altimeter should be half way between the 2&3.

If the altimeter is right they better be wearing pressure suits because they're at 102,500 feet.

As the baseball coach said of the shortstop who'd just committed his third error of the game, "I've seen better hands on a clock."

At church I usually sit facing a clock that has misaligned hands. At 9:30 the hour hand still points directly at the 9. Drives me nuts.

The CDI select switch in the Nav setting?

Huh, you got me. That's a good one.
I actually had to look up a picture from my cockpit to see that mine uses letters for the 4 cardinal directions. Wow, I take it completely for granted that I could not tell from memory what it should say. :)

Now that I think of it most Ive seen use NSEW but aviation doesn't use a 0 for any kind of heading. Its always a 360.

Typical POA - answer given in post #3 but this will go on for 30 pages. :D

So what seems to be wrong in this picture? (attached)

The "large hand" has no thumb? :dunno:

The long hand fell off its peg and gravity makes it read 300' too low? :dunno:

It looks just as screwy as these ones in the IFH: :dunno:
Altimeter.JPG

dtuuri

I know.....it looks like me flying an ILS.

The large needle of the altimeter should be half way between the 2&3.

Or maybe the small needle should be near the 9. Since we know it isn't accurate, there is no way to tell from the picture in what way that is.

Well if we really want to pick it apart the whole thing is wrong because aside from the thousands needle being stuck on zero the short hand cannot be aligned with the 2 at the same time the long hand is aligned with 5. So that begs the question: where the heck did this picture come from?

Here is what a 3 pointer altimeter should look like at 1,408 feet:

altimeter1.jpg

Well if we really want to pick it apart the whole thing is wrong because aside from the thousands needle being stuck on zero
In the OP's pic, that's the "ten-thousands" needle that's stuck near zero, IMO.

dtuuri

You're right. We'll stretch this thread to 30 pages yet :D

If he's flying the ILS, what's he doing with the OBS? (though some put the inbound course there just for reference purposes).

The hand in the picture is kind of annoying, the lighting isn't very good, and the general composition is pretty unbalanced and lacking of any inspiration.

Back