What's the OLDEST plane you've flown?

Brian Austin

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Brian Austin
What's the oldest plane (original without restoration but basic maintenance ok) you've flown?

What's the oldest RESTORED plane you've flown?

Heading to the Cactus Fly-in on March 5th, Casa Grande, AZ!

1957 Piper Apache, no wait... It may have been a Hamilton turbo liner (Beach 19 converted to turbo prop) But I'm not sure what year it was made.

'30-something deHavilland Tiger Moth that belonged to a friend of a friend. Back in the mid-70s, got a 30 minute flight of which I got most of it - he did the t/o and landing, but I got to do turns, climbs, descents and my first loop! :dance:

Last edited:
A 1941 J-3 Cub. My first tailwheel airplane check-out. I would like to try flying the Cub again after so many years, but haven't found the chance.

A 1946 Aeronca 7AC. Really fun!

lsimonds said:
A 1941 J-3 Cub. My first tailwheel airplane check-out. I would like to try flying the Cub again after so many years, but haven't found the chance.

Man, I really miss flying the Cub. One sold here recently for over $40,000. I may not ever own one again.

Sigh

Chip

I'm not sure if it was restored or not--I don't think so--but I flew a 30s-something Gypsy Moth. If that doesn't count (i.e., if it was restored) then I guess it would be the 1946 Taylorcraft I got my seaplane rating in. :D

Judy

Brian Austin said:
What's the oldest plane (original without restoration but basic maintenance ok) you've flown?

1948 7DC Champ for my taildragger training and endorsement.

I had to travel over 200 NM to find someone offering TD training, but it was well worth it.

I have a small writeup on my S6S Builder website about the experience: http://www.s6s.org/TailwheelTraining.htm

Regards,

I don't know the years of some of them, but I have flown a Tiger Moth, PA-11, and Stearman (pictures of these attached if I did it right). Also a Funk, PA-12, J-3, Taylorcraft, and some more I can't remember right now.

I got more pictures at home; not many on my laptop. I was able to pull these off Carol T's OPhoto site of AOPA pictures. Thanks again Carol! :D

I own a 37 Fairchild 24, but have flown a F-22, I don't know what year it was built, 32? I think.

Next week I have been asked to ferry a 39 SR-10 Relient to Evergreen Air Park. we will see what happens.

Diana said:
I don't know the years of some of them, but I have flown a Tiger Moth, PA-11, and Stearman (pictures of these attached if I did it right). Also a Funk, PA-12, J-3, Taylorcraft, and some more I can't remember right now.

I got more pictures at home; not many on my laptop. I was able to pull these off Carol T's OPhoto site of AOPA pictures. Thanks again Carol! :D

When you are as old as D you tend to think of all airplanes as pretty new :)

When you heading back to the farm?

Chip

(I still love that J-3 photo)

The oldest plane I've flown? Nothing compared to all of yours. Heck the oldest GA plane I've ever even been in was the first GA plane I was ever in. A 67 Cherokee 140

gibbons said:
When you are as old as D you tend to think of all airplanes as pretty new :)

Chip, I can always count on you to put things into perspective for me. You know that remark won't go unpunished. See if I shake you up with one of my glorious tailwheel shimmies again! ;)

When you heading back to the farm?

Hopefully next Wednesday. I miss my Citabria, my husband, my hot tub and the farm.

(I still love that J-3 photo)

I was flying it into the farm when Tom took that picture. It's my favorite picture from Twin Oaks. You'll have to fly in sometime when you have an airplane that can land here, of course.
:)

gibbons said:
:mad: Where's a moderator when you need one?

Chip

Chip, don't get mad, just get a high wing airplane that can land at the really fun places. ;)

A 1929 Waco. A joy to fly and do some barnstorming!!!

Don't know the year of mfg but I flew on a DC-3 airliner from Witchta Falls TX to Dallas when I was in the Air Force. I also don't know the year of mfg of the Cub I flew for the SES.

My "everyday" plane is a '63 Mooney.

Len

Thought the oldest was the one I'm a partner in now - 1956 C182. But then remembered flying a '53 Tri-Pacer a few years ago in Texas.

Mark
N5641B

Brian Austin said:

That's a tough question. I've flown a couple of AT-6's and I don't think either has undergone what I'd call a restoration. I'm guessing that they were built in the mid 40's.

AFaIK that would be the 1941 Porterfield I own.

My Bee-you-t-full straight tailed 59' 182

Been inside a DC-3, but only on the ground :(

Being new, the oldest I've flown (so far) is a 1974 C172M. But I did get a ride in this gorgeous B17G (IIRC, she's from 1946) while they were doing pilot training a few years back. Awesome sounds, power etc. Don't exactly envy the brave souls who flew them into combat, but they certainly did help save the world! This particular airframe was completed post war and delivered to the Coast Guard. The Yankee Air Force folks found her being used as a fire bomber, and brought her back here and fully restored her to original condition and flight status~where she remains to this day!

standard.jpg

Used to own N2942E 1946 7AC Champ....I miss that plane.:goofy:

How old is a Bristol Freighter? I got a ride across the English Channel in one when I was about 13.

My very first flight lesson -- 1941 J-3C Cub. I remember noting that it was 10 years older than me, and thinking, "Gee, this plane's almost 30 years old!" Now I jump in planes older than that without even thinking about it.

Brian Austin said:

Unrestored (and ill maintained) 1946 PA 12 flying pipeline,
Restored, I'm not sure the year, but a Curtis Jenny.

My '64 Mooney M20E, ofcourse, panel's new, interiors not original, gap seals, new windshield, and the motor will be brand spankin' new when it shows up next month:goofy: So I guess its really a 1964-2005 model:)

Oh...wait....flew an aronca champ once, not sure what year :)

The oldest plane I've actually flown has been a '67 Cessna 150. The oldest I've been in was my very first airplane ride in a Ford Trimotor, year unknown.

Back