What's the big square on the windshield?

aggie06

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Aggie
Rode in the back of a Cessna 208 a couple days ago and noticed there was a big rectangular piece of glass attached to the windshield with a wire coming out of it. Anyone know what that was?

Sorry, didn't get a picture.

Anti ice plates,a good thing to have.

When activated it allows the pilot to see and avoid the invisible chemtrails.

If the "wire coming out of it" was going from the top edge of the pate to the upper part of the windshield (as seen in my pictures below), than it's not an electrical wire. That's a stiff metal rod which attaches to the windscreen frame and holds it in place. The standard single-pane version (bottom picture) has one on the left, while the wider double-pane (top picture) has one on each side. The double also heats each side individually, so if one element fails you still have another. They're quita annoying at first, but you learn to love them after getting an inch of rime on the windscreen and the defrost doesn't work...

2014-12-16%2015.41.23.jpg

2015-01-02%2012.32.16.jpg

They're quita annoying at first, but you learn to love them after getting an inch of rime on the windscreen and the defrost doesn't work...

Indeed. Very annoying at first but eventually you don't even see it anymore.

Indeed. Very annoying at first but eventually you don't even see it anymore.
It get's quite fun when you get some type IV under the plate (because Swissport sucks...) and then you can't see at all because it is shielded from the wind and won't shear off... :mad2:

It get's quite fun when you get some type IV under the plate (because Swissport sucks...) and then you can't see at all because it is shielded from the wind and won't shear off... :mad2:
That would suck! It is pretty hard to get 80kts between to pieces of glass.

That would suck! It is pretty hard to get 80kts between to pieces of glass.
And it's also pretty hard to get a rag between the two pieces of glass, so you have to give all your takeoffs and landings to your FO... :sigh:

Cool thing along the same lines to notice in other windshields is the gold mesh/grid in the actual glass. Many jets and planes like the pilatus have that hot plate type design built into the material of the entire front windshield.

Hmm, I wonder if there's a combination ice-plate/HUD I could get for the 'Van... :idea:

And it's also pretty hard to get a rag between the two pieces of glass, so you have to give all your takeoffs and landings to your FO... :sigh:

I have seen hotplates attached at the bottom hinge only. It is free to pull away from the windscreen and the impact air seals it tight once you start rolling.

If the "wire coming out of it" was going from the top edge of the pate to the upper part of the windshield (as seen in my pictures below), than it's not an electrical wire. That's a stiff metal rod which attaches to the windscreen frame and holds it in place. The standard single-pane version (bottom picture) has one on the left, while the wider double-pane (top picture) has one on each side. The double also heats each side individually, so if one element fails you still have another. They're quita annoying at first, but you learn to love them after getting an inch of rime on the windscreen and the defrost doesn't work...

Flying with them makes you appreciate the cost of a 421 with an electric windshield a all the more.:D:lol:

I knew I would get an answer here. It was interesting paying to fly a trip I wouldn't think twice about doing myself, but work says you can't get stranded and keep your job.

And I learned something new about where to heat up ramen in a small plane. A win overall.

Eh, the '74 bugged out... He got scared of how grand I was. I mean, the whoppin' 675shp really blew him away.

Meh, Van is more of a mans plane anyway. If the pay were the same Id rather fly a 208B than a jet. Especially a Garrett powered one

Eh, the '74 bugged out... He got scared of how grand I was. I mean, the whoppin' 675shp really blew him away.

Some days he would trade with you in a heart beat...just not paychecks. The FAA and management have taken the fun out of that type of flying.

I replaced 2, both were on the insurance.

I did one and it was north of $20K, I think insurance paid $25K?:hairraise:
This was an acrylic one that cracked and departed the aircraft on the way home from New Orleans! The replacements are glass and much better. :D

Last edited:
Given the price of a lot of these, I'm thinking most cracks would become 'ahem' "bird strikes" on the insurance report if you know what I mean.

Given the price of a lot of these, I'm thinking most cracks would become 'ahem' "bird strikes" on the insurance report if you know what I mean.

This why I keep thinking hull is a waste of money. Never had a claim 15 years anyway, why pay for others "accidents".

I still think liability insurance is too high but I have it anyway.

Back