What's fun to do as PAX on a commercial flight?

Skyscraper

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Skyscraper
So I just booked a flight for my GF and I down to Los Cabos (Flying on Virgin) and I realized that the last time I flew commercial was before even my first bit of training and flying as PIC of the Cessna, so I've never been in the heavy iron with a pilot's mindset.

What are some fun, legal things to do?

I'll probably power up foreflight and watch us go.

Any other fun, pilot nerd stuff you guys like to do between screwdrivers on a commercial flight?

I think United sometimes puts ATC on the headsets.

Otherwise I second the vote for sleeping.

3rd vote for sleep.....

Foreflight: make sure you have the sectionals for the route loaded and then follow along. (Assumes you have a window seat)

a few drinks would be nice...not much you can do except be uncomfortable...

Airplanes are so uncomfortable to me that sleep isn't going to happen.

If you have an iPad with ForeFlight you can try to follow along, but the GPS signal usually poops out at some point. I guess you could bring along a Stratus but it transmits a Wi-Fi signal that is probably a no-no. Besides, this will entertain you for all of 30 minutes and then you'll want to do something else.

United used to put ATC comm on channel 9 but in their planes that have entertainment systems they don't do this because the audio is driven by the DirecTV. Which brings me to the next point...

If you do have the DirecTV use it. It is more than worth the $8 on a long flight if you can't sleep. Also, if you do have an iPad, rent a movie or two through iTunes prior to departure. They'll be downloaded into memory and you don't need internet to view them. If your GF wants to watch too just get a stereo splitter.

I have Bose noise-canceling headphones like many other people and they are fantastic on airplanes, especially if you're watching a movie.

Last edited:
Technically speaking, Foreflight isn't allowed because your devices aren't allowed to receive during flight. Not that any of us has forgotten to use airplane mode. :)

Sleeping is my favorite pastime. Thanks goodness for noise cancelling earphones.

A young guy taking his girlfriend to old Mexico.... and he wants to fiddle with pilot toys? Youth really is wasted on the young!

Last edited:
I must be easily amused. There is no amount of staring out the window and watching the wing do all of its wingy things throughout the flight that I could tire of.

My wife likes to read:

999952174388.jpg

You can ask to visit the flight deck. Yes, they still do that, on the ground.

Just don't ring the flight attendant and report a gremlin on the wing, unless you look like William Shatner. :)

Technically speaking, Foreflight isn't allowed because your devices aren't allowed to receive during flight. Not that any of us has forgotten to use airplane mode. :)

Sleeping is my favorite pastime. Thanks goodness for noise cancelling earphones.

A young guy taking his girlfriend to old Mexico.... and he wants to fiddle with pilot toys? Youth really is wasted on the young!

Well once we land the toys (aside from the Gopro) get put away. We (with a few other couples) rented a 5,700 sq. ft house across the street from the ocean. My buddies 30th and two friends getting married that week so I think the only thing getting wasted will be brain cells and a few pesos :rockon:

I like to fire up X-Plane on the iPad, particularly on United when they have ATC in the headphones.

Fly along in the 737 and when you hear "United 1234 turn left 250", wait a second, nudge the guys sitting next to you and begin a left bank...

With everyone owning tablets these days, there's not much reason to be bored. Assuming you mean Virgin America, their seats are particularly uncomfortable, IMO, but they do have entertainment in the seat backs and there's a better than even chance you'll have at least one hot flight attendant working the flight. :)

I used to drink when you could still brink your own bottle on the aircraft. These days I'd probably bring a couple movies to watch on the laptop.

I like to fire up X-Plane on the iPad, particularly on United when they have ATC in the headphones.

Fly along in the 737 and when you hear "United 1234 turn left 250", wait a second, nudge the guys sitting next to you and begin a left bank...

LMAO!!!!

That's great! I would love to be able to hear ATC midflight.

Foreflight: make sure you have the sectionals for the route loaded and then follow along. (Assumes you have a window seat)

Do Not pull out a Stratus 2 and suction cup mount it to the window.

That is a quick way to get yourself in handcuffs!!!!!:D

Pull out a handheld and give the pilot a taxi clearance.

Do they still do that? I've switched away in the last year, but prior to that I flew almost exclusively United for 5-6 years, probably 12 roudntrips a year. I tried getting the channel 9 ATC feed a lot of times and never, not once, found it turned on.

Southwest has live satellite TV for free on most of its flights if you have a decent tablet. It's only about 15 channels or so, but there are 50+ tv episodes you can stream. I usually just read a book or magazine.

Drowning out the crying baby noise with Bose headset and some good pod casts. It makes my trips more tolerable. Downing wine or beer really doesn't give me that much joy on my trips anymore. I think I'm still evolving on my travel comfort.

Take up knitting. Or read, or drink, or sleep, or flip through the SkyMall catalog a dozen times.

Using foreflight can be fun, if it works.. Not sure if it was just me but it was hard to get a good signal at 30k+ft

Kindle or iPad, and a set of Bose Quiet Comforts.

This is what I've done the past few times. Just plot a course between airports, follow the line, and practice matching terrain to your VFR sectional. Of course this doesn't work great if there are clouds under you or you're over the ocean.

When that fails, you can see how long your significant other can take your complaining about how much more comfortable the seats in a Cherokee are than this and how much it blows having just a little porthole to look out of and no idea what's going on in the cockpit...

Between those issues and more significantly the commercial airport experience I can't stand commercial flight anymore. I'd say you've picked the best carrier though. I've been on several Virgin Australia flights and they always do a good job.

This is what I've done the past few times. Just plot a course between airports, follow the line, and practice matching terrain to your VFR sectional. Of course this doesn't work great if there are clouds under you or you're over the ocean.

Practice your DR if it's cloudy.

If you know the flight plan, you know the filed TAS.

I get good signal with my dual GPS receiver even at 34thou. Ill typically push it against the window until i get a signal and then put it on my lap. Leads to interesting convos with my tube mates.

I listen to podcasts or audiobooks which I have previously downloaded... until I fall asleep. Sometimes that happens before takeoff.

I'd rather play with a girl than with an iPad. But that's just me. GPS has never been required for me to find my way, either. :)

On my last two flights I had Foreflight with Synthetic Vision on full screen as we landed.

The first guy sitting next to me never said a word, but I could tell he was watching. I am sure he thought it was a game, until my game and our plane landed at the same time.

Or he thought I had somehow tied into a camera in the front of the plane.

Kick the seat in front of you
Recline as far as you can
Goto the lav every 10 minutes
Use the phrase "don't you know who I am" several times when demanding service
Pull on the seat back every time you get up
:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Kick the seat in front of you
Recline as far as you can
Goto the lav every 10 minutes
Use the phrase "don't you know who I am" several times when demanding service
Pull on the seat back every time you get up
:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
:rofl::rofl::rofl:

and push on every seat back you can reach while walking the aisle...

Back