What's For Dinner?

Milk steak boiled over hard with a side of jelly beans....raw.

A couple nights ago I grilled a 2-pack of pork tenderloins. I might cut up the leftover and make a stir fry. I keep it simple - a bag of frozen stir fry vegetable mix sautéed in some olive oil until everything is hot, then pour in some flavor of stir fry sauce from the Asian shelf at the grocery store and the meat. Let that go for a few minutes until it’s hot…done. Probably some rice, too.

Chicken fried steak tonight. Looking forward to it. Teresa made it a few weeks ago. It was delicious, but a little tough as she didn't pound out the cube steaks much. She thinned them out more this time, and the meat is from the steer my friend raised, so I'm expecting great things.

wtaf is chicken fried steak? is there any chicken in chicken fried steak? crikey, wtaf is chicken fried chicken? those 2 dishes are big here in the south but I can't get anyone to explain what the hizzy it means.

80/20 ground beef with finely diced onion and garlic, and some shredded mozzarella and sharp cheddar cheese mixed in well and stuffed into giant portobello mushrooms with a thin slice of butter on top, wrapped in aluminum foil and baked until done, then unwrapped and broiled until browned on the top. Then shut off the oven, sprinkled with cheese on top, and left in the oven for 5 minutes until it all melts. Taken out of the oven and left to rest for a few minutes to stiffen up a bit then sliced thin and sided with baked potatoes drizzled with the mushroom infused butter. It would have went very well with the proper wine, but tasted pretty good with a Pabst blue ribbon.

wtaf is chicken fried steak? is there any chicken in chicken fried steak? crikey, wtaf is chicken fried chicken? those 2 dishes are big here in the south but I can't get anyone to explain what the hizzy it means.
Think fried chicken....but instead of chicken use beef.

Chicken fried chicken I think is just flour, egg wash, more flour.... Soooo....fried chicken

Think fried chicken....but instead of chicken use beef.

then why not call it fried beef? they fry pickles down here, they don't call them chicken fried pickles....

then why not call it fried beef? they fry pickles down here, they don't call them chicken fried pickles....
The "chicken fried" adjective suggests a thick breading such as you'd see on fried chicken. Actually, chicken fried pickles sounds awesome. Maybe that's your million dollar idea :biggrin:

The "chicken fried" adjective suggests a thick breading such as you'd see on fried chicken. Actually, chicken fried pickles sounds awesome. Maybe that's your million dollar idea :biggrin:
I'm still banking on velcro seats for my million dollar idea. so is there (or would there) be a difference between fried pickles and chicken fried pickles?

Cuz even in the south if you called it fried beef people would question their cardiovascular health. It's all marketing.

I'm still banking on velcro seats for my million dollar idea. so is there (or would there) be a difference between fried pickles and chicken fried pickles?
I thought your million dollar idea was finding sunken treasure?

Youngsters! When I grew up, there was no such thing as Cable TV. We had three channels with decent reception: ABC, CBS, and NBC. No color TV, either, until I was about 12. It was not that we couldn't afford it... it didn't exist yet!

Oh the horror of the 1950s!

-Skip
Three channels in the '50's? Oh, to have had such a privileged childhood!

In rural southern Idaho, well into the 1970's, we had one channel. Cable wouldn't be run out there for another 15 years, Satellite wasn't yet a thing.

Interestingly, with only one channel in the market, they could run shows from ABC, CBS, and NBC. I didn't know how unusual that was at the time. But I believe the licensing costs for the shows were based on ratings. There were times when our channel didn't carry any of the top 10 shows in the Neilson ratings.

can't a brotha have more than one brilliant idea?
Yeah. But then I'd suggest starting a business to protect these ideas from pirates. I suggest naming it Crackpot Industries.

Three channels in the '50's? Oh, to have had such a privileged childhood!

In rural southern Idaho, well into the 1970's, we had one channel. Cable wouldn't be run out there for another 15 years, Satellite wasn't yet a thing.

Interestingly, with only one channel in the market, they could run shows from ABC, CBS, and NBC. I didn't know how unusual that was at the time. But I believe the licensing costs for the shows were based on ratings. There were times when our channel didn't carry any of the top 10 shows in the Neilson ratings.

Hey, at least you had electricity like the other rich kids. We had to sit there night after night, just staring at a blank screen by candlelight.....

Candles plural? more than one?

I've noticed places have taken to calling it "country fried steak" so as not to confuse those that won't eat beef.

Oh, and for @SkyChaser tonight is crockpot Kalua pig. Dumped it in the slow cooker this morning before work.

I've noticed places have taken to calling it "country fried steak" so as not to confuse those that won't eat beef.

Oh, and for @SkyChaser tonight is crockpot Kalua pig. Dumped it in the slow cooker this morning before work.

Is Kalua pig anything like Guinea pig?

Is kalua pig anything like rum ham?

I'm gonna get a cheeseburger with chicken fried potato sticks
Chicken fried potato sticks are called Jojo's. They use the same batter as fried chicken, buttermilk, flour with at least 11 herbs and spices, buttermilk, ..etc.

Last night was Instant Pot chicken tacos. Tonight will be air-fried Tajin shrimp on top of fettuccine alfredo.

That's gonna be one big drumstick!
You're gonna need a bigger fryer.
I'm picturing a steamship roast like you sometimes see on Sunday brunch buffets -- but crusted in a fried flour coating.

My experience with CFS is they usually use a sub-par cut and mechanically tenderize the **** out of it to the point that it's pre-chewed. When craving southern cooking I usually prefer sausage gravy & biscuits.

I'm picturing a steamship roast like you sometimes see on Sunday brunch buffets -- but crusted in a fried flour coating.
Some years back, I enjoyed a dinner buffet at one of the Yellowstone lodges. They were serving steamship of bison.
It musta taken an engine hoist to get that thing up on the buffet table.

Back