What's For Dinner?

Smoked a couple of pork chops last night, using some apple wood chunks for the smoke, with a little bbq sauce glazed on during the last 15 minutes. Yum.

We had stuffed bell peppers and baked potatoes with apple pie for dessert, it being Pi Day and all...

True. I've had cold spam. Delicious isn't how I'd describe it. Amend that to most of them sound delicious...
It made the duck the next day taste even better…. the low sodium spam cans and singles are actually kinda good cold, the traditional version one is too salty for my liking.

made this tonite (not the 'fries') and that sauce is delicious. but I really like black pepper.

wtaf is chicken fried steak? is there any chicken in chicken fried steak? crikey, wtaf is chicken fried chicken? those 2 dishes are big here in the south but I can't get anyone to explain what the hizzy it means.
Chicken fried steak is just a tenderized steak fried with the batter traditionally used for fried chicken.

I think.

Never understood the chicken fried chicken. Seems redundant.

made this tonite (not the 'fries') and that sauce is delicious. but I really like black pepper.

Steak au poivre. Made the same thing tonight actually. Slightly different than Gordo's however.

Never understood the chicken fried chicken. Seems redundant.
My guess is they call it that when they batter and fry a boneless chicken breast (or worse, ground chicken patty); vice "Fried Chicken" which implies cut up, bone-in fryer parts.

When I hear chicken fried chicken, I'm thinking cannibalism on an animal level.

Please do share your favorite recipes.
Most of mine are pretty simple.

Thawed Pork Chops - 400 deg 6 min, flip 6 min
Frozen Chicken Wings - 400 deg, 15 min, flip 10 min. I use spray olive oil, then sprinkle with any seasoning. Slap Yo' Mama is good!
Broccoli - mix with a little olive oil, garlic powder & black pepper, 400 deg for 6-8 min.

I'm avoiding excess carbs right now (saving them for beer!), but if you're not, this is a great recipe for Chicken Parmesan.

BLTs tonight. Simple, easy, good.
Yum! In the simple, easy, good vein, we had tacos for dinner. And then I started craving chocolate... I tried a new recipe for brownies which turned out superbly. They came together super quick and they were the perfect mix between fudgy and fluffy...brownie heaven for me!! The tricky part will be not eating the whole pan. :D

Didn't feel like cooking tonight, so take out instead.

Wings & a steak and broccoli calzone.

I'm normally a "kale is what food eats" person, but this was pretty good. I substituted butternut squash because that's what I had. The seasonings in the recipe were pretty milquetoast so I used aleppo pepper/sumac/smoked paprika/marjoram. Bam!

I'm normally a "kale is what food eats" person, but this was pretty good. I substituted butternut squash because that's what I had. The seasonings in the recipe were pretty milquetoast so I used aleppo pepper/sumac/smoked paprika/marjoram. Bam!
My wife's mother hails from the North Sea Frisian Islands just off the German coast. They make a wintertime kale dish called Grünkohl mit Pinkel. Kale is stewed with all manner of smoked schweinefleisch (speck [belly], kassler rippchen [smoked loin, bone in, whole or as chops], butt [shoulder], smoked sausage) and served with pinkelwurst, a smoked sausage of oats, barley, pork and/or beef fat.

It's a special occasion meal, usually once a year around new year. It is believed the kale is more tender if picked after the first frost. However, calling this a "Kale Dinner" as they do grossly sells short the star of the show.

I'm not even sure food eats kale.

Factor. Never frozen, always fresh. Delivered every week.

Factor. Never frozen, always fresh. Delivered every week.
I am too persnickety about my groceries to order them delivered, but that sounds convenient! Do you get to choose what meals you eat or is it pre-determined/random?

I made us lasagna for tonight. I was supposed to make garlic bread to go with it but forgot I didn't have proper bread for it and didn't remember early enough to make any type of rolls, so we just skipped it. The lasagna was filling enough that it didn't matter.

I get this flatbread at our local WalMart grocery store:

I set it on a baking pan on a dusting of corn meal so it doesn’t stick. Spread out a thin layer of olive oil, then some pizza sauce from a jar, and top with whatever pizza toppings you want. I usually use red onion, red pepper, black olives, mushrooms, and cheese. Then a sprinkle of Italian seasoning.

Bake at 425 for 6 min, rotate 180 deg and then another 5 min. I usually do 2 at a time so I swap racks at the halfway point, too.

Figure 1 per person for a reasonably light dinner.

I am too persnickety about my groceries to order them delivered, but that sounds convenient! Do you get to choose what meals you eat or is it pre-determined/random?

I made us lasagna for tonight. I was supposed to make garlic bread to go with it but forgot I didn't have proper bread for it and didn't remember early enough to make any type of rolls, so we just skipped it. The lasagna was filling enough that it didn't matter.
They are pre selected but I modify the order on occasion. It is convient but really I did it because I eat out everyday. Doc said my LDL is getting up there and if I don’t cook, home delivery meals are better than eating out. I’ll try it for a year and see how it goes.

I had been using factor almost since it was introduced a few years ago, before they were bought by hello fresh. Originally from my area, they grew and eventually moved into a building formerly owned by Peapod. Which was previously Scotty's, the original home grocery delivery in the 90's. We built the aluminum racks for all the Scotty's trucks, then repaired them for Peapod when they had them manufactured with rivets instead of welding. Sorry. Self diagnosed ADD kicking in.

Anyway, you can pick something like 35 different meals every week. I was SKEPTICAL. Especially when it comes to seafood, but I was impressed. Very few complaints except a rare occasion where you're missing a box.

Steak au poivre. Made the same thing tonight actually. Slightly different than Gordo's however.
I used to make Steak au Poivre, but I can’t eat it anymore, I spend the next four hours sweating after consuming all that pepper. Sure is tasty, though. Making Chicken Marsala tomorrow, which is another classic recipe that’s gone out of fashion but is well worth making.

I picked up some beef shortribs this morning at the store. They will be braised in the crockpot. It's super easy, just slice an onion and throw it in the crock, place the beef ribs in, douse with wooster sauce, set the heat to low and five hours later, wah lah. If I remember, I'll post a gratuitous photo.

I got 80 oysters (Little Wicomico Oyster Company) the on Thursda and we had about three dozen raw for dinner the first night and then the next I grilled up the rest with some garlic-parmesan dusting over them. I've got a dozen left and tonight I'll be cooking some chicken cutlets with our homegrown asparagus and make some of my low fat hollendaise (egg yolks and greek yogurt) and drop the oysters on top (sort of an odd shake on veal oskar).

Mmm love oysters. I like to bbq them by putting them directly on the coals for about a minute or two until a slight puff of steam comes out, then they're done. I like them raw too. Most of ours come from the Tomales Bay.

The only thing though, is for whatever reason, when they get cooked outside, they are a magnet for flies like nothing else.

Back