What's For Dinner?

We just finished our first week of Hellofresh. I felt like I was eating a good restaurant meal every day of the week! Only downside, the meals take 30+ minutes to prepare.

Interestingly, with only one channel in the market, they could run shows from ABC, CBS, and NBC. I didn't know how unusual that was at the time. But I believe the licensing costs for the shows were based on ratings. There were times when our channel didn't carry any of the top 10 shows in the Neilson ratings.

In the early days, TV stations could have primary affiliations and secondary affiliations. The stations did not have to pay for the programs. Instead, the networks compensated stations for providing audiences for the programs and advertisers.

This all changed when a company called Granite Broadcasting agreed to "reverse compensation" to get the NBC affiliation in San Francisco, agreeing to pay NBC instead of being paid by the network. This completely changed the network-station equation.

made this tonite (not the 'fries') and that sauce is delicious. but I really like black pepper.

This vidya got me pulling out the ole mandoline and frying up some taters of various, perfectly cut, sizes and shapes. Yum!

I don't have a good picture. They say a picture is worth a thousand words. Actually the picture looks unappetizing. The best I can describe it is a chicken lasagna but made with macaroni noodles in the crock pot.

It wasn't bad. Lots of melty mozzarella cheese on top. Beats the hell out of last night's tamales. Did I ever mention I hate tamales?

8oz New York strip, Caesar salad, sweet potato with cinnamon & butter at the local Texas Roadhouse. Pretty tasty ...

8oz New York strip, Caesar salad, sweet potato with cinnamon & butter at the local Texas Roadhouse. Pretty tasty ...

No peanuts? How can you eat at Texas Roadhouse and not munch peanuts?

I used to really enjoy that place but the last couple of visits the quality of the steaks had really declined. Haven’t been for a while. Hope it’s come back.

I used to really enjoy that place but the last couple of visits the quality of the steaks had really declined. Haven’t been for a while. Hope it’s come back.

We have a Logan's with peanuts but the Roadhouse didn't have 'em. Food was pretty good but most times it's all about who's in the kitchen doing the cooking ...

Most Roadhouse franchisees have changed the peanut service. If you ask, they’ll give you a bag, but buckets have been gone for a while now.

My experience was that their steaks were never very good quality, which is why they marinate them. I always thought the sirloin there was more tender and flavorful than the ribeye or strip.

I had to quit going there because the rolls are like 350 calories each, and i can eat a dozen of them. So good. So bad for you.

My experience was that their steaks were never very good quality

Fully agree with that statement. In fact, most of the chain type of restaurants that have steak aren't very good. If I want good steak, I usually seek out indie steakhouse joints. One of the best I've ever had was in Vancouver at Gotham. Pricy but very much worth it!

Speaking of steaks: I found a nice ribeye in the freezer, vacuum packed and left over from our Christmas rib roast. It's the last of the steaks I cut off the leftover roast before freezing.

I'll make a nice steak risotto for dinner tonight; sauteed mushrooms, peas, red wine, and *almost* too much parmesan, then add in the rest of that steak that's been sliced nice and thin. Top with a splash of balsamic.

Life is good.

Meatball Sub from the Red Front in Troy! It didn't survive long enough to take a pic... :)

My experience was that their steaks were never very good quality, which is why they marinate them. I always thought the sirloin there was more tender and flavorful than the ribeye or strip.

I had to quit going there because the rolls are like 350 calories each, and i can eat a dozen of them. So good. So bad for you.
Calories aren't bad. They're fuel.

Tonight, rainbow trout in a caper/butter/lemon sauce, and roasted asparagus. Irish soda bread on the side, since that is what we had. Daughter made it with blueberries instead of raisins; it turned out great.

IMG_5756.jpegIMG_5757.jpeg
Twice baked chicken I guess. It was a rotisserie chicken from Costco reheated in the oven. I expected it to be dry but it wasn’t bad at all. Even the kitty liked it.

Rib roast went on sale this week for the holiday, so SWMBO picked up two. We’ll have one as a roast for a family Easter dinner, then slice the other one into ribeye steaks and freeze them for another day. Great way to save some money on steaks.

Rib roast went on sale this week for the holiday, so SWMBO picked up two. We’ll have one as a roast for a family Easter dinner, then slice the other one into ribeye steaks and freeze them for another day. Great way to save some money on steaks.
That sounds delicious! I think I'll make a cheesecake to bring for dessert. :)

I went to an Indian restaurant tonight. I can count on one hand the number of times I’ve done that in the last 20 years. I just found a place near me. It’s been around a while but I always forget about it. It was really good, I think I’ll be going back.

I went to an Indian restaurant tonight. I can count on one hand the number of times I’ve done that in the last 20 years. I just found a place near me. It’s been around a while but I always forget about it. It was really good, I think I’ll be going back.

yeah there's some good stuff to be had. just be careful, their hot is not the same as our hot.

Cast iron seared ribeyes caps, sautéed zucchini, roasted sweet potatoes. Mighty tasty!
img_6236-jpeg.127253

Attachments

• IMG_6236.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 49
1FCBADE9-40D3-4D61-8237-EBB1EBCB495E.jpeg
Third course, first was raw avocado, second Cajun steamed crawfish, third steamed mussels, with a few glasses of Cabernet intermixed, and a big hunk of fresh French bread with honey from my own hives as dipping sauce. In an hour or so a baked potato with gobs of sour cream and a Pabst blue ribbon and some cottage cheese with peaches.

"Bonnie and Clyde Sirloin"

Steak and mushroom sirloin risotto. Wouldn't be complete without 2 -Sundance Kids ( a take on an Old Fashioned) topped off with a chocolate Martini for dessert.

Don't worry, the weather sucks tomorrow. I won't be flying. Got bee packages to pick up Sunday to prepare for.

Back