What would you do?

TheTraveler

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
TheTraveler
Hi All,

I've finally got my training going again, and I'm sure I'll finish this time. The conditions are a bit different, so I'm reaching out to the community for some input.

I previously had about 6 hours or so between 150's and 172's, had to take a leave, and now I'm up and going again. We have a nice flight school here, and access to quite a few aircraft. A 162, a few 150's, multiple 172's, an Arrow, etc. If you didn't see my other post about my hiatus and return, I also have shared private access now to a 206, which I'm really excited about! The game plan is to get the ticket, and the 206 will be what I'm primarily flying after I'm all set. FYI, I'm going for private, and this will all be private and recreational. No goal of joining an airline, flying commercially, or for hire. So here comes the question about the training.

The leader of the pack for the 206 feels strongly that I should get my initial training in the 172, but as soon as I solo, get the high power and complex endorsement, and then finish up the rest of my training in the 206. I understand why he thinks this way. It's good time spent with an instructor in that plane, it's good practice time on what I will primarily be flying, less time and $ in a rental aircraft, etc.

My instructor says he'll do whatever I want, but strongly advises against the plan. His first concern was about insurance, but that's not an issue, we have that worked out. He feels I should finish all the training for the private in the 172, then get the two endorsements, and transition over. He doesn't think that moving students around to different aircraft is a good idea, he thinks the 206 is too complicated for the average student, has concerns about the prop control for a new private pilot, and also has concerns about beating up on the 206 (wear on the landing gear, wear on the turbo, etc).

I can see some of his arguments, but not all. I don't believe the prop is so complicated. Sure, it's additional learning and takes additional finesse, but it's certainly not beyond the reach of someone who is intelligent, dedicated, and takes well to the material.

What I do see as valid are the concerns of beating on the landing gear and the turbo for training. Continuous stall/recovery maneuvers, as well as landing practice and touch and go's are probably not the best thing for the 206/ I'm of the opinion that as a student, everybody needs practice. Doesn't matter if you know you have to be gentle with a turbo or that you want to make smooth landings...even if you know it, it still takes practice.

My thought for myself is kind of in the middle of these two guys. I say get to my solo with the 172 and see what happens. Am i making nice landings? Am I able to be gentle enough with the 206 in stall/recovery's that I'm not beating up the turbo? Then maybe it's ok to switch over. Or maybe I'm bumpy with my landings, or a little aggressive with my stall/recovery's, in which case I'd just finish up in the 172 and maybe I pay an instructor to fly with me for some more time after I've already got my ticket.

Anything I'm missing here? Would you say that my "let's see how it goes" is a good decision? What would you do?

Do these people have any time in a 206 or much time instructing.

A 206 is really a slightly larger 172, got a couple extra things to keep a eye on, and furthermore I'd say the landing gear (especially so in a factory float one) is stronger than a 172.

As someone who's given a good amount of instruction and has a good amount of time in a 206, unless you're a total duf, I'd have no issue taking you from 0 to ticket in a 206, in many ways it's a lot more stable and flys better than a 172. As for beating it up, non of my students have beat up the planes, that's just a sign of a crap instructor who both doesn't know when to step in as well as not knowing how to build a solid flying foundation in their student.

I say if you got the money for the insurance, gas, and plane, go for it, BUT FIND A GOOD INSTRUCTOR.

I do tend to agree with the CFI's argument that switching students from one aircraft to another during training isn't the best idea, especially pre-solo. It all depends on how you're feeling and how you're performing in the 172 or your current training aircraft. If you're staying ahead of the aircraft and feeling comfortable I'd say to go ahead and jump into the 206 post-solo and finish training in that.

In all reality the 206 has the same landing gear as the 172, so you're not going to wear it out doing T n' Go's. Make the best choice for yourself and do what feels right to you.

Do these people have any time in a 206 or much time instructing.

A 206 is really a slightly larger 172, got a couple extra things to keep a eye on, and furthermore I'd say the landing gear (especially so in a factory float one) is stronger than a 172.

As someone who's given a good amount of instruction and has a good amount of time in a 206, unless you're a total duf, I'd have no issue taking you from 0 to ticket in a 206, in many ways it's a lot more stable and flys better than a 172. As for beating it up, non of my students have beat up the planes, that's just a sign of a crap instructor who both doesn't know when to step in as well as not knowing how to build a solid flying foundation in their student.

I say if you got the money for the insurance, gas, and plane, go for it, BUT FIND A GOOD INSTRUCTOR.

The instructor the school paired me with has a lot of time, but I do not know how much 206 time he has. I believe he is close to 2000 hours, he's the Chief FI, and has a pretty good reputation from those who I've asked. I have not spent enough time with him for a personal opinion. And to be fair, he doesn't know me well either yet, so even if I question some of his arguments, I can see where he's coming from. Maybe I could be a total idiot. The one thing I have already found frustrating is the schedule, which I may have to address with the flight school. They paired me with this guy and while he seems to have very good credentials, his hours are 0800-1530, M-F. Hardly ideal for someone who needs evenings and weekends. We'll see how it works for now, but I may need to address that.

The instructor the school paired me with has a lot of time, but I do not know how much 206 time he has. I believe he is close to 2000 hours, he's the Chief FI, and has a pretty good reputation from those who I've asked. I have not spent enough time with him for a personal opinion. And to be fair, he doesn't know me well either yet, so even if I question some of his arguments, I can see where he's coming from. Maybe I could be a total idiot. The one thing I have already found frustrating is the schedule, which I may have to address with the flight school. They paired me with this guy and while he seems to have very good credentials, his hours are 0800-1530, M-F. Hardly ideal for someone who needs evenings and weekends. We'll see how it works for now, but I may need to address that.
I would like to make the assumption that most CFI's should be able to provide training in a 206, so it shouldn't be too difficult to find somebody. It's not a wild animal and has many of the same handling characteristics as a 172 and especially a 182, after all, it is a Cessna. :)

I would get your license in the 172. You'll make lousy landings all through your training, and why beat up on a non trainer. Also why make it harder - I've heard lots of regrets on here from people who tried to train in a more complex bird, and were told it was no big deal.

It's hard enough to get through your private check ride, don't be impatient. I say 172.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One or the other I would recommend while working on your PPC.

Since you have your own plane, ask around here for a freelance CFI, the fact that's it's in a 206 might help you attract a higher end someone, you'll probably end up with someone with north of 2k TT and probably pay less too.

Again, training from 0 in a 206 shouldn't be a problem, that's from a ATP/CFI with over 400ish hours in 206/7s, the more familiar you are with your actual saddle the better you'll be, the more hours you end up with in type the better for the insurance too.

Go forth and aviate your 206.

I'm with James on this one. To me, time in type is the most important thing. After solo, you'll probably have a good additional 20-30 hours of instruction coming your way. I'm not sure what 172 you're flying but if it's a later fuel injected model there's really not much more to flying the bigger Cessna. Sight picture is a little different (you sit a little lower behind a bigger panel), and climb. Learning how to deal with a prop lever I think is probably a good thing as long as you have the basics down already. You'll have more time working with a CFI in a HP aircraft this way than you would during a 1-2 hours of flying time getting you HP endorsement. Cowl Flaps and engine management are checklist items so as long as you're on your checklists you'll be okay.

I don't think you'll need a complex endorsement (unless your C206 is really a C210...)

During my initial training, I flew C162, C172, C175, and a DA40, I didn't have any serious issues but I also studied my butt off getting very familiar with the POH and checklists of each.

Thanks for all the input guys, I have always appreciated the weight and balance of this community. :)

In regards to complex, there seems to be some confusion here on the ground on whether it is complex or not. Some believe it is, some believe it is not. For sure the HP is needed, but some think the complex is needed for the 206 because of the prop. What say ye?

Edit: The complex confusion is acceptable. The others who are flying the 206 already have it, so it probably doesn't matter to them if it's needed in the 206 or not. I'm the only one who needs to ask the question. We have planes that are used for business which these guys are cleared on, and they are for sure complex (Pilatus PC-12).

Thanks for all the input guys, I have always appreciated the weight and balance of this community. :)

In regards to complex, there seems to be some confusion here on the ground on whether it is complex or not. Some believe it is, some believe it is not. For sure the HP is needed, but some think the complex is needed for the 206 because of the prop. What say ye?

Edit: The complex confusion is acceptable. The others who are flying the 206 already have it, so it probably doesn't matter to them if it's needed in the 206 or not. I'm the only one who needs to ask the question. We have planes that are used for business which these guys are cleared on, and they are for sure complex (Pilatus PC-12).
I think the people who think the 206 requires a complex endorsement don't know what they're talking about.

It doesn't have a constant speed prop and more than 200hp?

I would go with whatever is cost efficient, keeping in mind that those early landings are going to be hard on the 206. Personally, I did everything in a C-152, did some flying in the 172's and hated them, ending up in the Tiger. In 2006-2007 my total expenses for PPL were about 5-6K at 60ish hours.

Yes, it is high performance, not complex.

FAA Order 8710.3E defines a complex airplane for the airplane single-engine land or airplane multiengine land rating as one that has a retractable landing gear, flaps, and controllable propeller.

Again doesn't it have a controllable propeller??

I'm not sure how to respond to this... I even provided you the definition. It says it has to have a controllable propeller AND retractable landing gear, which it does not have. Therefore, it is not a complex aircraft.

Thanks again for all the input, greatly appreciated!

There was talk that the 206 was "maybe" a complex aircraft, nobody came out and said they knew for sure. The other guys who fly it already have complex endorsements. They were going to check on it, but I've already got the answer here. Thanks guys!

For those who suggested to start and finish the entire training in the 206, that's not an option for me. I can start it after I solo the 172 and transition, or I can wait until I finish in the 172 and transition. Those are my options.

I went up today with my instructor, did some pattern work and two landings. One landing wasn't bad, the other...well, let's just say it's a good thing we didn't have one of those impact stickers they use on Mythbusters. Ouch. Pattern work was ok. Had a nice breeze, good practice keeping it straight.

Why don't you do all the PPL training in the 172, and then (assuming funds allow, and the 206 has a decent panel) jump into the 206, get the endorsement and start working on your instrument rating?
I did my PPL in a 172, took a year break (still flew ~15 hrs though to stay familiar and transition to an archer), then found the arrow in in partnership with now. Did the transition training for an actual COMPLEX AIRPLANE (read the regs....) and immediately started instrument training. Went up when I wasn't training and did some xc to build the magical 50 #. Took me a total of 4 months start to finish.

It's a SEL Cessna (the 206), not the space shuttle. If it's what you'll be flying mostly after you get your ticket, and you like the idea, then move to it as soon as you want.

It's all what you get used to, my son and I both earned our PPL in a 182, mine was a long time ago, but it's was still a 182. I'd recommend getting some time in after you solo in the 172 and the last 20 hours or so in the 206. Practice those early landings in the rental!! :D

Whoever says the prop control is too complex for a primary student is an idiot. Constant speed prop is _easier_ than fixed pitch.

It can be done in a C206. Hell Mulligan did it! ;) :D

I kid I kid Mully.

Yes it does, but that doesn't make something complex. A complex must have retract gear, which the Stationair doesn't have. I'm sure there will be a few folks along to argue this soon..:rolleyes:

No, the 206 doesn't require a complex edorsement to be PIC, just a HP.

I still wouldn't train for ppl in my own plane unless it was a trainer... and even then maybe not...

I still wouldn't train for ppl in my own plane unless it was a trainer... and even then maybe not...

Well we ain't talking 'bout you are we? ;)

Ok let me rephrase for those that didn't find my comment obvious. The op asked for advice on "what would you do". So I answered in the first person. I'll rephrase.

It's a bad idea to do primary training and beat up your own airplane.

Ok let me rephrase for those that didn't find my comment obvious. The op asked for advice on "what would you do". So I answered in the first person. I'll rephrase.

It's a bad idea to do primary training and beat up your own airplane.

Well, see you're wrong. Mulligan on here bought a new C206 and got his PPC and instrument rating in it. So, it can be done, safely and without beating up his airplane as an example. A lot more have done the same successfully.

I soloed a warrior then bought a 201 and finished my training in the Mooney, I would definitely go with the 206 and get more time in type.

Well, see you're wrong. Mulligan on here bought a new C206 and got his PPC and instrument rating in it. So, it can be done, safely and without beating up his airplane as an example. A lot more have done the same successfully.

Since it's an opinion on something with no right answer I can't be wrong. Criticizing someone for giving an opinion when asked for an opinion is silly.

The wear and tear on a bigger heavier nicer plane alone would lead me to rent...

I tend to agree with Mark. I know of several people who have trained or are currently training in their own aircraft. What's different is, a rental trainer is used by a multitude of people who may or may not treat them with the same 'kids gloves' as you would. In your own aircraft, you and the CFI are the only ones flying it, so there is a difference.

And anyway, it's not like the maneuvers done in primary training are hard on the aircraft, although some folks may disagree...they're not. Your airplane is capable of handling them.

I think the people who think the 206 requires a complex endorsement don't know what they're talking about.

The only way a 206 is a complex airplane is if you put it on floats.

A straight land gear 206 is high performance, NOT complex, heaven help you if your CFI didn't know this.

Got another few hours in this morning in the 172. Anyone else in the Great Lakes region have a difficult time believing it's February? I'm not one to chat about the weather often, but wow!

Practiced turns, detents, climbs. The multi-tasking isn't necessarily hard, but not being used to controlling all of those things at once is challenging at the moment. I can certainly see where the practice needs to come in.

Traffic, airspeed, bank angle, rate of climb/descent, coordination, rinse, repeat. By the time I get one of those under control, a different is out of whack. I'm sure it's going to feel natural after x amount of hours, but at the moment it's like juggling.

Glad to hear it's great in Valpo; new record highs for nearly a week in Omaha -- not bad. The cockpit routine part of being a pilot is aptly thought of as a dance: it has a rhythm to it, and as you develop the muscle-memory, it becomes more automatic. This is why drilling good, safe habits is so important -- incorporate your checklist to verify your work rather than as a "do-list." You'll feel your rotine tightening-up. So, practice, practice, practice.

Godspeed.

P.S.: Your progress and "enjoyable" struggle are perfectly normal and expected; stick with it - it's worth it.

I was fully expecting that it's normal, just sharing my thoughts. An interesting component for me is going to be watching forward to see how long until it develops into a more automatic routine. Not that I'm expecting I won't have to think about things, but the specific memories and such, I'm curious at what point it will become standardized to me and it's easier to coordinate all of these things systematically. Similar to learning a second language...at what point does one stop thinking in language one and translating into language two, and just begin thinking in language two? Cool stuff.

Back