What would you do if...

Having never been in that particular situation, I just don't know.

I would manage it properly. All of it would go into an interest bearing account.
Half of the interest would both fund my average life and most go to charities.
The other half would continue to build the principal amount. With a locked interest rate (assumed) it would perpetually grow both principal and thus payout to the charities as well....reaching huge amounts over time.

I would buy a brand new PC-12 (does it come with BRS? if not, I am putting that too, may be 3 of them) hire a pro pilot (she gotta be hot) for the rt seat and go around the world hopping wherever I want. think this is how lottery winners go broke...which not any different than my state of affairs currently anyway :biggrin::biggrin:

Pay it on my debts -- as far as it would go.

Buy a lot of cool ****, and hopefully not die flying **** I have no business flying ;-)

Maybe I'm strange, but I often think I'd be really worried for my family's safety if I hit the big one. I think ones children would be prime candidates for kidnapping and other stuff.

Well, I would definitely not tell a single person until I had all my ducks (lawyers, accountants, people smarter than me, etc) in order.

Then I guess I'd finally get my instrument rating.

Buy a SF-260. And my employer would have to guess that I quit.

House in Maine, another in New Mexico, but not too elaborate, just well appointed.

Two months in Barcelona, same in Rome and Paris. Spend a winter in key West, too. Wipe out some family member's debts, and write them a few one-time $100K checks, then stay out of their business ever after. One attempt to summit Everest, in a couple years - don't want to get killed before enjoying some benefits of the $$$ first!

One big check to Children's Hospital; and another to the Salvation Army, who were there for me several times, long ago. Then '"isappear", except for family.

I'd show up at work the next day and act like nothing happened, other than I would be even more disagreeable to my boss. He deserves a life of agony for a couple of weeks until I would be fired. :D

I'd also buy myself a D or G model Staggerwing to fly around to look at various properties and airplanes I would be purchasing. I'd need a nice new big hangar on the property I buy too.

I'd show up at work the next day and act like nothing happened, other than I would be even more disagreeable to my boss. He deserves a life of agony for a couple of weeks until I would be fired. :D

I'd also buy myself a D or G model Staggerwing to fly around to look at various properties and airplanes I would be purchasing. I'd need a nice new big hangar on the property I buy too.
when u do get fired, make sure you collect unemployment :D:D

Lobby whoever I need to to get the f14 flying again in private (my) hands. Buy a two seat f16 and a few Texan 2s and chill with my dad. Meet up with the POA chat regulars and bum a helicopter ride from velocity to see if I want to purchase one of those.

I would also buy Gaston's and lower the prices at that restaurant on the field for all of you guys.

Maybe I'm strange, but I often think I'd be really worried for my family's safety if I hit the big one. I think ones children would be prime candidates for kidnapping and other stuff.
If you are strange then at least you are not alone as I am of the same mindset.

I'd give away enough to make myself uninteresting and keep enough to fully fund my screwU account. Hopefully the two don't overlap.

Give most of it away.
Too much money just over-complicates your life.

After taking lump sum and the taxes it's only about $170 million. ;)

Yeah, a lot of money, but very different from half a Billion dollars. :eek:

I could live comfortably on 170,000,000.....

And then convert it all to pennies and pay my bills with that.

Then live in an abandoned movie theater, naked, and collect my toenail clippings in a jar.

Or get 1 million dollar bills, put them in a big glass cube and sit on them while naked, and charge people a dollar to look at a naked millionaire sitting on a million dollar bills.

After that I would probably do something weird....

You wouldn't be at much risk of that.

You hear about the "evil" 1%, but the floor for that is around $400k income for a household. Here is the .001% in 2012:

1,361 households enjoyed an average income of $161 million​

That's income, in one year, not total wealth.

Now, you might be hounded endlessly by "long lost family" for money. :rolleyes:

I could live comfortably on 170,000,000.....

And then convert it all to pennies and pay my bills with that.

Then live in an abandoned movie theater, naked, and collect my toenail clippings in a jar.

Or get 1 million dollar bills, put them in a big glass cube and sit on them while naked, and charge people a dollar to look at a naked millionaire sitting on a million dollar bills.

After that I would probably do something weird....
Lotta nekkid going on there. Is there something you need to expose here to sort of work it out? Maybe you should schedule some time with 6PC?

You won't take home 510M, probably about half that due to taxes. More like 250M.

I'd probably invest half right off the bat. Then use the remainder to wipe out my debts and my family. I would probably keep working, though I would do something I like to do instead of something that just pays me well. Maybe go back to teaching, get another degree or two, dunno.

Anything left over would go into a college fund and a trust for my son. But I'm with @Skyrys62 as far as anything after that. Have enough invested to grow it a little and live an average life, debt free.

I've always been conflicted on this. I'd love to keep it from my kids, but they are bright enough to know something is up if Dad is flying a new jet around, driving nicer cars than he would ever spend the money on and Mom and Dad are traveling the world and staying top notch places; which Dad has been far too cheap to pay for when they traveled with him.

It's not that I'm stingy. I just wouldn't want to ruin them. Even $170 million is a lot smaller amount of money than many people think. Don't get me wrong, it's more than an order of magnitude more money than I'll earn in my lifetime. But it will not fund unlimited spending for multiple people for very long. My worry is they would end up being useless sponges and the money would run out in their 40's or 50's and they wouldn't have the skills or drive to do well working for a living at that point.

I'd love for the kids to all be working and understand the value of working and paying for things. Then I'd be happy to upgrade their homes, fund college for their kids and fund wonderful trips for the whole family.

I would definitely want to get myself a spiffy turboprop/jet. Probably a turboprop, then a fractional/charter jet for longer distances and probably just travel first/business class for the transcontinental trips. I doubt I'd buy a lot of "2nd" homes. I'd much rather more travel to new places than going back to the same place all the time. Just rent something really nice for the week/month.

Oh, and I would immediately retire. :D Volunteering and hobbies would keep me busy.:cool:

Run, not walk to the financial planner to invest most of it. Take about 200 grand and just go stupid with it. Write a big check to Guide Dogs of Texas. Buy a couple acres, ok, more than a couple, to build a runway and house on. Stuff like that

Easy for me... I'd have a very nice house in Deer Valley which is near Park City, UT, base my TBM 930 in Heber City, also have a house on Shark Key just east of Key West and nice "cottage" on the ocean in Maine. Other than the extravagant two houses and plane, I would live very normally much as I do now.

NO ONE would know, certainly not my kids... but as others have surmised I am sure they would wonder what was up.

You won't take home 510M, probably about half that due to taxes. More like 250M.

I'd probably invest half right off the bat. Then use the remainder to wipe out my debts and my family. I would probably keep working, though I would do something I like to do instead of something that just pays me well. Maybe go back to teaching, get another degree or two, dunno.

Anything left over would go into a college fund and a trust for my son. But I'm with @Skyrys62 as far as anything after that. Have enough invested to grow it a little and live an average life, debt free.

Why would you wipe out your family? Do you not like them? You would also likely go to prison and not be able to enjoy your new found wealth or freedom from you family. :D

Why would you wipe out your family? Do you not like them? You would also likely go to prison and not be able to enjoy your new found wealth or freedom from you family. :D
He said wipe out the debts of his family. An action that we all would take, along with our own.

Get the taxes paid. Then with the remainder, invest about 1/2 of it in a variety of stock market based funds/bonds/etc. Take about 1/4 of it and buy physical things... maybe more land or rental property in general, look for a business to start or a few to invest for a stake in.

Then with the remainder build a bigger better workshop and storage area for classic cars. Build a hangar for myself as well and get a number of aircraft for whatever suits my mood/mission that day. Probably a SuperSTOL, a TBM 900, and a YAK-52 for openers. Probably go ahead and hire a housekeeper because we hate cleaning and probably don't do it enough. Hire a bookkeeper and accountant too because... good god am I tired of dealing with all that. I don't think we need a bigger house or anything... and I don't really want to own a vacation home because it obligates me to keep visiting the same place.

Money can't buy happiness.

....but it can sure rent you some good times.

Let's see, wipe out all family and close friends debts, invest a fair amount of it so I can safely and comfortably live the rest of my life, donate a large amount to legitimate charities, probably a bunch to St. Jude. The I would find some open land out in the country, build a moderate sized home with a nice garage, wrap around porch and a nice view of...........

KPOA field that I will build (with the help of my new D-9 Dozer), which is also where I will park my DC-3, L-1011, and MD-80. At KPOA airport, there will be free parking, cheap fuel and free beer (after flying of course) for all active POA members.

Back