What will you do with me (and others like me?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

spiderweb

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Ben
I am very upsetting to people:

I am very pro First AND Second Amendment.

I am a vegan, but I respect hunters.

I am a full-throated supporter of LGBTQ rights, gay marriage, and legalization of marijuana; but -completely- against abortion, and think every American should own any gun they want.

I am a nature lover, will not kill even a mosquito, and literally have tree-hugged on several occasions, but think climate change needs more research and shouldn't be sold as a religion.

I am a rabid peacenik, but support our military and veterans like they are my brothers (one is).

Finally (throwing us all a bone): I am an annoyingly cheap conservationist, and can't stand if even one unneeded light is on in the house, but if I had the money, I'd buy and fly the biggest, most gas-guzzling jet I could, and fly it all day long.

Nothing. Dilettantes are a dime a dozen.

"What will you do with me (and others like me?)"
Nothing. We are all different. Otherwise we'd all be boring.

Signed,
A pro 1st/2nd amendment, meat eating, hunting (just got a call my last buck is ready from the taxidermist and heading to AK next month to bag a moose), many many gun owning, nature loving, mosquito killing, jacked up 11 mile a gallon truck driving, military veteran, twin driving, redneck

I am a full-throated supporter of LGBTQ rights, gay marriage, and legalization of marijuana; but -completely- against abortion, and think every American should own any gun they want.

I am a nature lover, will not kill even a mosquito, and literally have tree-hugged on several occasions, but think climate change needs more research and shouldn't be sold as a religion.

I am a rabid peacenik, but support our military and veterans like they are my brothers (one is).

Finally (throwing us all a bone): I am an annoyingly cheap conservationist, and can't stand if even one unneeded light is on in the house, but if I had the money, I'd buy and fly the biggest, most gas-guzzling jet I could, and fly it all day long.

What would I do with you?..........We'll since we probably couldn't eat together, for sure can't hunt together, and would probably argue over cultural issues if we had coffee together:yingyang:, there isn't a lot I'd do with you I don't guess. But since you're posting on a flying forum, you must be a pilot. I don't see any reason we couldn't go flying together.:) :heli:

I'd say aside from the vegan thing and the tree hugging we'd probably have fairly similar outlooks on most things.

Nothing. Although I consider myself a conservative, I support most that you believe in. As a Catholic, I go against the church in some of my beliefs (we can thank the Jesuits for the enlightenment, whom I studied under in high school). And as a child of a long line of Buddhists, I can appreciate your disdain for taking any life.

Probably the one thing that DOES bring me to full battle stance is when someone forces their views upon me. (I am not saying that you are doing this, but I've had many try to force their views upon me). So long as someone isn't trying to force their view, I am open to accepting that people have different viewpoints.

Who cares? It's called the Constitution and it's pretty much out of your hands.

Except your other thread about murder? Duh!

Is there some theory that homosexuals cannot have guns or smoke dope? WOW... Guns and Pot are Hetero only today. That is news.

You love nature as you see it. Good for you.

Sees some electricity is being wasted powering your computer and router. Save that up for 100LL

One of the subjects you mention is very unique and in a category of its own. Guns, religion, meat or veggies, sex, gender and all the laws concerning when, where and to what degree you can or can't do them is one thing. Laws get enacted and rescinded. The Constitution gets amended and once an Amendment got rescinded by a subsequent Amendment. But the Climate change thing is a whole different subject. The Earth, including its atmosphere don't give a flyin f**k what laws we have or don't have. That it can't be "proved" beyond doubt precisely what the effects of human activities will have, to the nearest tenth of a degree I wouldn't say is a good reason to wait and see what the verdict is. The problem here is that if we wait for the "proof," there is likely no going back. We will have made our bed and now must lie in it.

Nothing. If I expected everyone (anyone?) to agree with my views I would be very disappointed.

@luvflyin - Climate change is real. Look at them thermometers.

"Man Made Climate Change," "Global Warming," and any other crap them people spew is not.

Anyone think T-Rex "caused" the last ice age?

Generally speaking if it isn't going to cost me money directly or indirectly though taxes and it's not going to limit what I am able to do/say or choose not to do/say then I don't care. People can live however they want to live as long as it's not hurting anybody else. That's the whole point of having a free country isn't it? Oh and no, being offended, thinking it's a sin, or just generally not liking it doesn't count as harm.

As long as you dont plan on forcing others to see everything the way you do, this shouldn't be upsetting to anyone.

People can live however they want to live as long as it's not hurting anybody else.

Easier said than done! We're seeing that now with people clashing everywhere over mostly "perceived" hurts. People in general aren't very good at leaving other people alone.

@luvflyin - Climate change is real. Look at them thermometers.

"Man Made Climate Change," "Global Warming," and any other crap them people spew is not.

Anyone think T-Rex "caused" the last ice age?
Nah. Wasn't his fault. Wasn't ours either, we wasn't here yet. The "cycles" happen. It's been said, and it passes the logic check, that Ice Age killed Rexy off, along with all the sauresses he was chowin down on along with all the veggies they were grazing on. They was all there because they lived in a cycle that was Carbon rich and not suitable yet for us to live in. Then they and their chow got turned in to oil, gas and coal down there. Now we be takin it back up, doing things to it, like burning it that puts the Carbon back up thar. Doin it pretty damn fast to. I dunno, maybe it ain't no big deal and sooner or later the next cycle is gonna happen anyway so f**k it, lets have some fun while we can. One thing I'm pretty sure there is no controversy on. That is there is only so much oil down there. It's gonna run out eventually. Hundred years, two hundred? Depends on how fast we use it. Ain't no more T-Rex's to cook for a few million years to make more.

As long as you dont plan on forcing others to see everything the way you do, this shouldn't be upsetting to anyone.

RTOT - apparently the veggie boy says eating meat is murder. So much for not forcing or attempting to induce anyone to that stuffs.

RTOT - apparently the veggie boy says eating meat is murder. So much for not forcing or attempting to induce anyone to that stuffs.

And that's fine too. His opinion, he is free to express it*. Doesn't bother me until a vegan violently attacks a butcher or tries to get laws passed to outlaw hunting.

* and I would be free to hold the opinion that he is a drama-queen

If you ate moo moo cows you'd reduce the effects of global warming. They contribute more greenhouse gases than cars.

You support LGBT and the military. Do you support transgenders serving in the military?

If you ate moo moo cows you'd reduce the effects of global warming. They contribute more greenhouse gases than cars.

'If you want to fight global warming, eat a dog'.

Oh, and dont topple any statues. That seems to be a thing now.

Easier said than done! We're seeing that now with people clashing everywhere over mostly "perceived" hurts. People in general aren't very good at leaving other people alone.

Yeah we seem to have a very adversarial way of doing things in this country sometimes. "We don't approve of your lifestyle, ban it!" "We're upset that people disapprove of our lifestyle, silence them!". Seems like there's always some yahoo trying to either make life hard for others or take away someone's rights over something that they could easily just ignore.

I am sad to say most of my voting choices center around picking the candidate I think is least likely to ban or ruin something I care about... and I know that same politician is likely to tread on someone else but else can one do? I'm not going to vote against my own interests. It frustrates me to no end we can't just learn to leave each other alone enough to come up with a sane and moderate alternative.

I'm thinking, maybe, buy you a cold beer, and a tasty veggie meal?

All that stuff you describe sounds a lot like exercising personal freedom. That's how we (the collective "we") roll.

The first six paragraphs of his post start with the word "I". Nowhere do I see the word "you" or any indication that he thinks others should have the same opinion.

I would give you the participation trophy that you so desperately crave. It would say "Unique Snowflake" on a little engraved plaque, glued to the fake wood base that holds a little golden boy with his arms outstretched, yearning to be recognized.

I would give you the participation trophy that you so desperately crave. It would say "Unique Snowflake" on a little engraved plaque, glued to the fake wood base that holds a little golden boy with his arms outstretched, yearning to be recognized.

Naw, not Ben's style.

He's a thinker, offers thoughtful commentary and is exceptional at asking questions which have been crafted to make others think - to think for themselves, not to think what he wants.

The problem isn't people with different views, or even people who vociferously disagree. The problem is that there are certain groups of people who want to silence anyone who disagrees with them on anything. In my opinion, it's about the ability to wield power in a most undemocratic way.

Ultimately, folks are going to have to decide whether the mob or the law gets to rule. Folks are going to have to decide whether they want freedom of speech or whether they want to ban objectionable speech (as opposed to simply speak out against it). Folks are going to have to decide how many freebies they want from the government vs. how many decisions they want to make themselves. I don't have a problem with anyone who wants to debate any of those things in the public square, or play by the rules to change the system. I do have a problem with mob rule, judicial activism, and big business bullying disguised as "virtue."

We should all be able to agree to disagree and respect the freedom and laws which permit us to do so. Unfortunately, too many people these days apparently can't handle that type of virtue.

JKG

I am similar except the vegan thing...although I raised one and have some killer vegan dishes...since the trans thing has been mentioned...the military and tax payer will be better off with the directive today...

As I age, I "care" less and less, about more and more, particularly other people's positions and opinions. I wouldn't "do" anything with you; maybe a nice conversation if I found you engaging. Or, ignore you, if annoying.

Hopefully you wouldn't begin preaching on first acquaintence.

Probably discuss, and enjoy, talking about flying, music and guns. Things we have in common.

I could care less what you do and don't believe in and most people I associate with feel the same way. The problems arise when people try and cram their agenda's down my/our throat.

One of the subjects you mention is very unique and in a category of its own. Guns, religion, meat or veggies, sex, gender and all the laws concerning when, where and to what degree you can or can't do them is one thing. Laws get enacted and rescinded. The Constitution gets amended and once an Amendment got rescinded by a subsequent Amendment. But the Climate change thing is a whole different subject. The Earth, including its atmosphere don't give a flyin f**k what laws we have or don't have. That it can't be "proved" beyond doubt precisely what the effects of human activities will have, to the nearest tenth of a degree I wouldn't say is a good reason to wait and see what the verdict is. The problem here is that if we wait for the "proof," there is likely no going back. We will have made our bed and now must lie in it.
Lol

It would appear that from a quick sampling here, you're not. For the vast majority.

We'll continue to mostly ignore the radical political cultists and their stereotypes, as we all should. Which is most of what your list was.

They're incredibly annoying to the vast majority of us.

I like to think most people have a varied outlook on all of the subjects mentioned by the OP. There isn't a large population that is radically left or right, but unfortunately the idiots that ascribe to those philosophies get all the press. We should all have our own nuanced view of the world.

I am very disturbed about the ridiculousness of pulling down statues and renaming places, streets, schools, etc. That's mostly because quite a few of those that support these issues are so completely intolerant of other views. That being said, I don't want to debate the issue here. Go somewhere else, don't ruin the OP's thread.

I'm a fiscal conservative. I'm an old white guy. I support giving LGBT people rights I take for granted, but I do not support the fanaticism that is attached to the movement.

I read a story earlier today about a six year old kid being sent to the principal's office because she spoke to another kid using his given name. It turns out the child decided he was a girl over the summer, and now has a different name. His classmate did not know this. She was subjected to a humiliating trip to the office and an authoritarian lecture for this simple mistake. Jeezus friggin keerist. I also have to say I think that a six year old is not capable of determining he has a gender misidentification. That's nuts.

I'm confident I've already said enough to offend someone, so I'll stop now.

I'm a card carrying member of POOP. People Offended by Offended People. I really don't care about the results of someone's desperate attempt to feel passionate about something meaningless. If you focus on differences, the result is division. If you want to get along, you focus on things in common.

I like to think most people have a varied outlook on all of the subjects mentioned by the OP. There isn't a large population that is radically left or right, but unfortunately the idiots that ascribe to those philosophies get all the press. We should all have our own nuanced view of the world.

I am very disturbed about the ridiculousness of pulling down statues and renaming places, streets, schools, etc. That's mostly because quite a few of those that support these issues are so completely intolerant of other views. That being said, I don't want to debate the issue here. Go somewhere else, don't ruin the OP's thread.

I'm a fiscal conservative. I'm an old white guy. I support giving LGBT people rights I take for granted, but I do not support the fanaticism that is attached to the movement.

I read a story earlier today about a six year old kid being sent to the principal's office because she spoke to another kid using his given name. It turns out the child decided he was a girl over the summer, and now has a different name. His classmate did not know this. She was subjected to a humiliating trip to the office and an authoritarian lecture for this simple mistake. Jeezus friggin keerist. I also have to say I think that a six year old is not capable of determining he has a gender misidentification. That's nuts.

I'm confident I've already said enough to offend someone, so I'll stop now.

I keep waiting for the militant left to jump the shark, but no luck so far. That kid screwed up for life.
Fortunately, I live in a smaller conservative community. So, I only see this on the news. I enjoy the fact that I just joined a social club where only white males need apply. We have no social agenda other than drinking beer, eating well and talking about power boats...heaven. PC is laffed at with derision. Stereotypes are encouraged.

While I think it's silly how some are offended by everything these days, but I also don't like how some go out of their way to be as non-PC as possible. Maybe it's because I did the same thing back when I was younger, and consider the habit a sign of immaturity. Also kinda embarrassed that I engaged in that activity.

Last edited:
I support your right to be as wrong as you want to be. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back