What type of container is safe to store 5606 hydraulic fluid in?

Johnbo

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Johnbo
I’m using Royco 756 which seems to only be available in non-resealable cans. What type of plastic is safe to store the remain fluid in?

thx

Do you mean 5606?
There must be safe plastics for the stuff, but I've always seen it stored in a metal can, square one-gallon type (like for paint thinner or camp stove gas).

Do you mean 5606?
There must be safe plastics for the stuff, but I've always seen it stored in a metal can, square one-gallon type (like for paint thinner or camp stove gas).
Yes, typo. I changed the title...thx!

The last quart of stuff I got from spruce came in a plastic (Nalgene?) bottle. I've been topping that off from the gallon cans.

I’m using Royco 756 which seems to only be available in non-resealable cans.
FYI: 756 comes in 1 gallon cans with screw lids if you need that volume. But plenty of options. You could use a plastic lid like on a butter tub to seal up an open quart can. We used them for years with turbine oil cans. I believe some parts stores sell them as dust caps. Or you can use a new metal screw top container/can from a paint store or store the remainder fluid in a 1 quart hand pump oil can if used to service master cylinders. Never was a fan of using plastic for hydraulic fluid.

Spruce sells quarts and pints in soft plastic bottles but I buy it in gallon cans, like Blazo cans. I have no idea how it stores in soft plastic but I’m sure metal is better.

Dexron...............which is just VASTLY improved 5606, comes in plastic bottles. Better especially in amphibious floats used in cold water.
iu

I only needed a few ounces out of the last can I opened. So, I found an old glass pickle jar, washed it out and air dried it. The rest of the 5606 fit nicely in that.

Any empty, plastic oil bottle would work. Or glass.

I'm hoping an HDPE garden sprayer is OK, otherwise I'm going to have a big mess when I get to the hangar tomorrow.

Nauga,
filled with pressure

I'm hoping an HDPE garden sprayer is OK, otherwise I'm going to have a big mess when I get to the hangar tomorrow.
I've had my excess in a HDPE garden sprayer for years.

Since the Navion goes through hydraulic fluid almost as fast as fuel, I keep one of those spruce quarts in the baggage compartment, topping it off periodically from my can in the hangar. You can tell a Navion pilot as he has red stains on his right knee.

Put in a Mason jar or other glass container if plastic worries you.

Thx folks, I found some 1/2 gallon mason jars in the house that will probably work fine.

It’s a pretty color, don’t hide it in an opaque container.

Thx folks, I found some 1/2 gallon mason jars in the house that will probably work fine.
At least the red color will distinguish it from the other mason jars we have around here. 'Shine is clear.

FYI: Sunlight will severely degrade the dye used in 5606, but it doesn’t hurt the fluid properties. Most of our hydraulic mules that spend much time outside, show yellowish color in the sight glasses.

Yep, it's pretty hard to tell a hydraulic drip from an oil drip visually once it's gotten exposed to the sun for a while.

Yep, it's pretty hard to tell a hydraulic drip from an oil drip visually once it's gotten exposed to the sun for a while.

I caused a near panic when I found that mule with yellow in the sight glass and questioned it. It had just come from being serviced the day before, and at the time, we were just starting to see liquid cooling for some of our systems....The coolant was kind of a dull yellow when against a white background. Process control came out and grabbed mule and QA issued quarantine orders against every airplane that the mule had been hooked up to in the two days it was out there. Lots of relief to see that we hadn't pumped coolant into the hydraulics on 3 airplanes.

Back