What tools do pilots carry when you fly?

nj-pilot

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
josh_me
Referring to single-engine aircraft, not looking for the A&P answer, but instead - what are non-A&P pilots carrying with them? Toolbox? Nothing? Swiss army knife?

I carry a bag with every size of box wrench and socket up to 3/4", two ratchet handles, and a couple of extensions. I also have safety wire pliers, plug sockets, and one of each type plug I use. Beyond that, I carry several screwdrivers, a valve stem extension to inflate tires, spare fuses, and a small collection of screws, bolts, and nuts. The bag weighs 9-10 pounds.

Screwdriver, spark plug socket and wrench, an small assorted collection of wrenches, safety wire, electrical plyers.
If I have problems with a cylinder, I can replace both spark plugs.
I can tighten a loose nut or screw.
The basics, any more complicated and I’ll get an AP.

Leatherman and a stub screwdriver in the glove box to tighten any loose screws found on preflight. I occasionally find a panel or baffle screw a bit loose.

I always carry a Leatherman style tool on me and have repaired motorcycles that broke down on the road with the tool a couple times. It comes in handy to remove lenses to change bulbs, strip wires and tighten nuts, screws and bolts (temporarily). It comes in very handy and could possibly save the day. Its use on an aircraft might be to repair a wiring issue or replace a cotter pin. For everything else your going to have to start packing bigger, heavier tools.

All in one screwdriver, wire pliers, safety wire, duct tape, electrical tape, one wrench + one socket in the size needed to remove the lower cowl + oil cooler and change a tire.
Extra oil and funnel, hydraulic fluid for gear and hand pump to fill gear pump.
EFB with charts, XM WX, oxygen, flashlight.

Screwdrivers, four pairs of asst pliers, A self-contained ratchet and sockets, a combi wrench set 1/4" thru 3/4", safety wire twisters, safety wire, a set of awls, zip ties, duct tape, a few cotter pins, a tire patch kit, a rag, and a few aircraft-specific "special" tools. I keep similar tool bags in both planes.

Last edited:
an all-in-one screwdriver, swiss army knife, flashlight, a credit card and a cell phone.

Last edited:
Multi bit screwdriver, pliers, crescent wrench, a couple of the most common open end wrenches, coil of safety wire, zip ties, leatherman type tool. Swiss Army knife is always in my pocket, flying or not. When an oil line came while loose while bringing my new to me Starduster 1000 miles home I had to take the airport courtesy car to a hardware store to buy a bigger crescent wrench, spray cleaner, and a roll of paper towels.

Not an A&P but builder & flyer. I carry a lot less than I thought I would.

A small electric screwdriver and the pliers needed to remove the cowling and wheel pants. A small ratchet, 2 sockets plus a spark plug socket and small extension needed to remove any of the lower plugs. 2 extra plugs. Some safety wire. 1 Phillips screwdriver. A hex wrench for removing avionics. A jack knife.

The a couple plane specific items like a jack point bolt, a small ratchet strap for pulling down the tail to get the nose wheel lifted and a battery charging harness.

I carry a few more items including extra tire tubes and a quart of oil when going to the Bahamas.

Minimalist?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Leatherman tool, cell phone, credit card. That's all it takes to get repairs made.

In addition to "all of the above" I have a small tool bag that has everything necessary (except a scissors or wing jack) to change a tire, from a spare tube to a cotter pin.

Pliars or Leatherman to turn the fuel selector when the pin in the handle breaks. There was a Bonanza lost due to this.

Dan

Screwdrivers, backup reading glasses, allen keys, a portable power pack suitable for acting as epu, a flashlight or a usb port, and a portable tire inflator whicH I plug to the portable power pack.

Vice grips, torx, screwdrivers (flat and crossed) some tape, a quart of oil, a fix-a-flat, paper towels, a funnel, and some lemon pledge.

I can do 99% of general maintenance like adding wheel skis and changing oil with the tools in my bag. Field maintenance has been what’s shaped my tool kits. The last epiphany moment? Blowing a tube in the tailwheel tire of my 180 on a remote strip. Lifting the tail was a chore. A Skywagon tail weighs 200# when empty. More with fuel. Once lifted and propped up on old dead tree parts getting the wheel off was easy. Disassembling the two wheel halves? Not easy with typical hand tools. I learned a lesson that day. Tool bag contents were adjusted as a result. When there’s nobody else around you need to fix it yourself.

I can't think of any place I've flown into where I wouldn't have been able to find someone to loan me basic tools so I forego the added dead weight.

Exactly what are you going to fix without parts? That is why it is so important to properly maintain your aircraft.

I agree. Further, what are you allowed to fix yourself and are you actually qualified to fix it? I would adjust the tool bag to only include the equipment to make the repairs you can reaisticaly do away from home.

I do carry some tools but it is typically limited to things needed to change a spark plug or tighten a simple fitting. I think it is more important to bring some spare parts along to cover the common failure items that will strand you for a few days waiting for replacements to come.

I can't think of any place I've flown into where I wouldn't have been able to find someone to loan me basic tools so I forego the added dead weight.

If you fly to more remote areas you had better plan on being self sufficient. Otherwise you’re going to be paying someone to fly in and rescue you.

Loose exhaust flange studs, loose intake flanges, intake rubbers, broken wires, cracked vacuum hose fittings, flat tires, sticky flaps, jammed bell crank turnbuckles, cargo door latch, etc. Pireps, not imagination. Besides, when I get to where I'm going there's usually 4 wheelers and jet boats involved, so tools, a tire pump, and a Jump Pack are always on board.

My flying is mostly to paved airports with some semblance of on field maintenance. Wells, Nevada being the lone exception. My main tools are scraps of paper with pictures of old dead presidents on them and a padded checkbook.

Yeah, I'm an A&P so when the airplane rolls from home it is in the best shape I can put it. If it craps out along the way, the odds of my having the right tool to fix it are right up there with the odds of winning an argument with an umpire or my wife.

Jim

Credit card and cash - i hear they fix anything

I've been thinking about packing a GI entrenching tool next time I fly commercial to beat the hell out of the next person that annoys me.

:eek: :D

When I was flying a Maule, I found fix-a-flat useful. Won’t use it now but it was useful since I don’t carry the tools needed to change a tire.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I carry a Cruz Pilots Tool kit, with some extra stuff like the small alien wrench for avionic knobs, 1/2 roll of electric tape, etc.

The whole unit is light and small and covered the 80/20 rule.
http://www.cruztools.com/pilots.html
ptk1.jpg

pilot-s-tool-kit-3_1080x.jpg

Last edited:
having had two flats on landing (different planes, 5 yrs apart, fingers crossed) I carry the fix a flat. Gets me off the runway and reopens the airport much faster than waiting for a tow cradle to show up and limp me away.

Leatherman type tool and a tire gauge.

Good topic; most of us that fly really can’t afford it, so getting back to home base where you can repair and clean is a must. Lots of tools out their are multipull use units, all good posts, but I have found if you carry it you will never need it. I carry and all of you have seen them,a canvas tool bag, the Crus tool kit is great, but often several components are totally useless. I fly a Champ 7AC and built a few of them. Probably the simplest Plane you can tool bag for. But so is a small Cessna. Altoids gum those metal tin cases are a must. To store o-rings cotter pins, safety wire ,AN Hardware,I even carry a very small grease gun, a new spare spark plug,quart of oil,8oz,mouse milk bottle with 5606. can of solvent spray, to clean, rags,and small wrenches up to 1 inch.short ratchet screw driver use an altoids to carry all those tiny bits, for that driver.dykes flat nose plyers, Personally I’ve never broke,but I am a local flyer, but my kit has helped several other pilots in need. Mostly at fly inns. And believe it or not It’s usually fuel leaks that I’ve delt with and bearings,

0EE65579-2433-4112-8F8D-CA487F9E20E3-5798-000013F7AAB54F4E.jpg

This is the tool bag I carry in the 182. Pill bottle are full of nuts, bolts and other misc. hardware.

Anything I need to change a plug, fix a flat (Esp Tubes), tighten a loose whatever and a roll of gorilla tape. Guess it depends on your level of comfort with doing MX, and where you are flying to. We do a lot of grass strips and places without MX shops.

A pair of stubby screwdrivers (flat and Phillips) - That'll get the cowling and wheel covers off if needed. A tire gauge for once the wheel covers are off.

And a well-maintained airplane, which results in my never even having used those screwdrivers except in my hangar.

Back