What to do with carbon fiber

I worked in a cypress wood clock factory many years ago. We coated the clock faces with a clear epoxy 2 part resin. To eliminate bubbles we sprayed the surface with denatured alcohol. It lowered the surface tension enough for the bubbles to just float up, pop and the surface resin flowed into the holes. We got mirror smooth surfaces that way. I don't know what kind of solvent you could use on the resin you're using, but it's an idea.

John

That is very interesting, I will have to try that on a test piece.

One challenge is working in an unheated hangar and winter is....

I'm kicking around ideas how to build my own electronic prosthetics with off the shelf bought electronics. I can mold a silicone liner and a carbon fiber frame to hold an ebay purchased manual hook (used in body powered prosthetics like my grandpa has) then add a giant scale model airplane servo with ~30 kg torque to drive the hook. Then of course a control and battery.

My current hook, incredibly expensive, uses electrodes like an EKG to detect electrical signals in muscle tissue, sent from my brain, and converts those signals to command an electric servo to operate unit. I'm currently not smart enough to design such an interface but could still come up with an electronic version where I could reach into a space with the hook and operate a servo with my free hand via some type of remote control.

Last edited:
I figured a spray automotive type clear is a must for UV protection.
There are clear gel-coats, maybe all of them, with UV inhibitor.

I finally committed to screwing the new plastic glareshield down. The carbon trim was fun to make.

Cessna wing roots have plenty of storage space. You just need to utilize it. I have wing root storage on both sides and three glove boxes in the panel. I absolutely love it.

cessna%252520interior%2525203.jpg

That's slick!

I finally committed to screwing the new plastic glareshield down. The carbon trim was fun to make.

Looks great! I'm looking forward to seeing the finished product...you're going to have a nice looking and functional setup when it's all done.

:yes:

I'd like to build a decorative shell for my prosthetic hook with a deep polished clear on it. Would be pretty cool if it was removable and wear it for special occasions. Right now it gets beat up pretty bad so vinyl wraps only lasts so long and they suck to re-apply all the time.

Shiny carbon fabric
:D

That's easy enough to do, however you're still going to be scraping and scratching the clear coat on top. Laminate it on with epoxy then build the clear up with a hardened polyurethane like Alexseal or Awlgrip.

If you want a "dress arm" there are some blended weave fabrics with Kevlar yarns through them that look really cool besides the mechanical properties.

That is very interesting, I will have to try that on a test piece.

One challenge is working in an unheated hangar and winter is....

Another way to 'de-bubble' the CO2 out of thick epoxy is to wave a lit propane torch over it as it starts to cure and off gasses.

Back