What should I do?

What I was suggesting since the plane is paid for, is to just do a non-owned partnership. The guy(s) who are his partners don't own the plane at all, just split the costs of flying it. As in they split the hangar, insurance and pay David a fair hourly dry rate for engine overhaul and maintenance/upkeep of the airplane.

Plane I'm annualing right now operates under such an arraignment.

It wasn't a "You need to sell the airplane" it was an "If I were you I'd sell the airplane"
In which case, I would say you have a VERY strong reason to sell the airplane. I believe you should take your father's advice on this. Even if you later regret it, I believe it will be good for your already good relationship.

Ryan

In which case, I would say you have a VERY strong reason to sell the airplane. I believe you should take your father's advice on this. Even if you later regret it, I believe it will be good for your already good relationship.

Ryan

Yeah I tend to agree.

If it matters to you, most women aren't going to like an RV4 over something that's side-by-side...

Sell the Mooney, use the money on an Aerospace Engineering degree, CFI the local kids at the college. Then buy 2 or 3 Ovations with the checks you'll cash a year or two after graduating.

If it matters to you, most women aren't going to like an RV4 over something that's side-by-side...

Wives get to ***** about that stuff, girlfriends choice is get in or get replaced.

Sell the Mooney, use the money on an Aerospace Engineering degree, CFI the local kids at the college. Then buy 2 or 3 Ovations with the checks you'll cash a year or two after graduating.

Close. Chem eng degree, or Mat Sci + physics. Get a Luscombe and teach LSA. Works.

Nothing to add here other than I was always surprised you bought the Mooney unless you were planning on beating it up with Commercial students at your stage of life, David.

Fun fast traveler, but pretty impractical for what I think you're trying to accomplish. (But only you know what you're trying to accomplish... Assuming that you do have a plan of some sort, anyway...)

Riight. How much do you think someone walking out of school with an Aerospace engineering degree actually makes?

David's posts for the past couple of months have contained comments that made me think he knows he has the wrong airplane (for now anyway) and also knows it needs a different home. I've been wondering when the other shoe would fall, and totally agree with he and his dad, and am glad they are on the same page.

Nothing to add here other than I was always surprised you bought the Mooney unless you were planning on beating it up with Commercial students at your stage of life, David.

Fun fast traveler, but pretty impractical for what I think you're trying to accomplish. (But only you know what you're trying to accomplish... Assuming that you do have a plan of some sort, anyway...)

Dave,
If you would have bought a Cirrus, you wouldn't be in this position :D

Ya'll seem to have it figured out.

Dave's gettin' by on 50. If you know one willing to work for that, shoot him my email address.
The jobs are limited right now if they can find one at all. The salary is nowhere near 6 digits starting out. They're likely somewhere between 50 to 70 if they're LUCKY.

Last edited:
Maybe AT Mooney.

"According to an annual salary survey conducted by the National Association of Colleges and Employers, aerospace engineers graduating with a bachelor's degree reported an average starting salary of $69,600 in 2011. This compares favorably with the average starting income of all 2011 graduates, who earned $41,701 per year. Furthermore, it also compares favorably with the average starting salary of all graduates in engineering, which was $61,872 per year as of 2011."

No one is going to be buying and maintaing a Mooney out of college with an Aerospace degree without some SERIOUS sacrifice. It's going to take a lot of career development and time to get to that position. Even so there are few aerospace engineers making more then the low six digits.

David stands a better chance of making more money simply by learning the surveying business and eventually branching off on his own.

Last edited:
And a couple of years worth of unpaid or low paid interns to hire before a new grad...

"According to an annual salary survey conducted by the National Association of Colleges and Employers, aerospace engineers graduating with a bachelor's degree reported an average starting salary of $69,600 in 2011. This compares favorably with the average starting income of all 2011 graduates, who earned $41,701 per year. Furthermore, it also compares favorably with the average starting salary of all graduates in engineering, which was $61,872 per year as of 2011."

No one is going to be buying and maintaing a Mooney out of college with an Aerospace degree without some SERIOUS sacrifice. It's going to take a lot of career development and time to get to that position. Even so there are few aerospace engineers making more then the low six digits.

David stands a better chance of making more money simply by learning the surveying business and eventually branching off on his own.

$70K seems about right for a farm fresh intern-turned-perm engineer. What possibly could cost so much on a Mooney for a fresh grad?

Can't disagree about the surveying business. I just paid one $500 to fill out a government form and he didn't even have to leave his desk to do it.

I don't believe there are very many jobs (CEO, CFO etc..) where working for a company is going to make you "rich" unless you're doing something in the background (i.e taking the advice of those PK stock emails). Engineers are a hot commodity, I wouldn't waste my time with a Social Work or Philosophy degree.

You got any proof of that career path advice? Does he really want to be a surveyor? How can he know that at 18? Do career surveyors make more than career engineeers? Can't engineers branch out and do their own thing too?

The jobs are limited right now if they can find one at all. The salary is nowhere near 6 digits starting out. They're likely somewhere between 50 to 70 if they're LUCKY.

+1

Steady paycheck in this field is laughable. THE ONLY WAY I see that is to become a FAA DER on top of that and do the private contracting route where companies like Duncan Aviation, West Star, etc contract you stuff. Nearly every OEM and MRO has a very limited number of these people they can keep on staff. If an MRO gets a green airplane finishing contract the engineering jobs are gone at the end of it and are very difficult to keep personnel due to lack of work.

This thought that a degree is the answer is one of those that can get you into a lot of debt at the very least.

We've gone from selling the mooney and getting a cheaper to maintain airplane to throwing that money at a different career path :rolleyes:

Well if I was accepted to a college (that would be the hard part) my parents would have no trouble or reservations about sending me there. My dad wants me to sell the mooney, invest the dollars, and buy a cheaper plane more suited to my mission. (Which is now just to have fun, not go places)

+1

Steady paycheck in this field is laughable. THE ONLY WAY I see that is to become a FAA DER on top of that and do the private contracting route where companies like Duncan Aviation, West Star, etc contract you stuff. Nearly every OEM and MRO has a very limited number of these people they can keep on staff. If an MRO gets a green airplane finishing contract the engineering jobs are gone at the end of it and are very difficult to keep personnel due to lack of work.

This thought that a degree is the answer is one of those that can get you into a lot of debt at the very least.

I've seen ENG I positions go unfilled for months.

There's three in my neighborhood that have been with the same company for 30+ years.

4 year degree at an affordable college with all the aid that's available vs financing your way into the right seat of a regional? Debt?

My 2 degrees cost me less than half of what Dave's probably got in the Mooney. Inflation adjusted. Plus, you get to postpone life for 4 years or more :)

I ain't trying to pick his career path for him, my post was made with tongue-in-cheek to begin with but at his age and if the option is still on the table, I'd recommend he consider it. The option doesn't typically stay on the table long.

The job markets are very cyclical. What's hot now can be deader than a smelt in 5 years. The first thing a kid needs to do is determine is whether he/she has any interest or aptitude for whatever fields seem attractive.

David's dad seems to have done pretty well in banking-related activities. Many successful people have pursued other areas of study. Dad was a surveyor so I got more experience than I ever wanted in that field (NPI) along with an equal number of chigger bites. No mas.

$70K seems about right for a farm fresh intern-turned-perm engineer. What possibly could cost so much on a Mooney for a fresh grad?

Can't disagree about the surveying business. I just paid one $500 to fill out a government form and he didn't even have to leave his desk to do it.

I don't believe there are very many jobs (CEO, CFO etc..) where working for a company is going to make you "rich" unless you're doing something in the background (i.e taking the advice of those PK stock emails). Engineers are a hot commodity, I wouldn't waste my time with a Social Work or Philosophy degree.

I've seen ENG I positions go unfilled for months.

There's three in my neighborhood that have been with the same company for 30+ years.

4 year degree at an affordable college with all the aid that's available vs financing your way into the right seat of a regional? Debt?

My 2 degrees cost me less than half of what Dave's probably got in the Mooney. Inflation adjusted. Plus, you get to postpone life for 4 years or more :)

I ain't trying to pick his career path for him, my post was made with tongue-in-cheek to begin with but at his age and if the option is still on the table, I'd recommend he consider it. The option doesn't typically stay on the table long.

Holly SMOKES I can count all those jobs with my one remaining hand!

The job markets are very cyclical. What's hot now can be deader than a smelt in 5 years. The first thing a kid needs to do is determine is whether he/she has any interest or aptitude for whatever fields seem attractive.

David's dad seems to have done pretty well in banking-related activities. Many successful people have pursued other areas of study. Dad was a surveyor so I got more experience than I ever wanted in that field (NPI) along with an equal number of chigger bites. No mas.

I won't even tell you where my latest chigger bite is... I HATE those things and I wouldn't recommend going into any field of work that requires any risk of coming into contact with them.

Add a "sell" vote from me. Although I'd take the opportunity to hurry up and get the CFI certificate beforehand.

+1

Happy to have a steady job, and gladly accept the smaller size in exchange for getting one every other week

Back