what privacy?

The fourth amendment doesn’t really exist any longer in today’s world.

<sigh>

I am genuinely puzzled at what a state actor thinks they're going to get with a massive genotype database. It's all based on SNPs, and thus contains no biological data of any kind. The only thing they'll be able to do is identify individuals, which they can probably do anyway form public source. I just don't see the threat.

If they guys had actual genome sequences I think I'd be just a bit alarmed. Just a bit.

The article gave examples of how the data could be used by another state. Did you read it?
Yes, but I still don't see any danger at all. They can figure out who you are using biometric information. They can probably do so far more easily with tons of publicly available information. The one place I could see this getting in the way is if people are traveling under false pretenses. I guess I'm thinking about spies, though I don't even know if intelligence services even work that way in real life.

The well they already have “XYZ” why not send them more info I find crazy.

What do y’all do when you have a engine failure? Also start a electrical fire and enter a spin? I mean you’re already having a engine failure

I’ve kinda wanted to do one of those kits for DNA, fill out all my personal info, but send them a sample from a dog or something, or if I stumbled upon some indigenous person who will never be seen in the modern world. It’s time for some counter intelligence

Also worries about another state? historically your biggest threat is your own government.

Let me guess,
Nahhh, never happen, history doesn’t apply as we’re “different”

Democide
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Democide

2916-F6-D1-EB9-F-46-BB-8436-3-E790-BDB0-BBC.jpg

https://www.hawaii.edu/powerkills/WSJ.ART.HTM

Take gov as your lord and savor at your own expense

Last edited:
I’ve kinda wanted to do one of those kits for DNA, fill out all my personal info, but send them a sample from a dog or something, or if I stumbled upon some indigenous person who will never be seen in the modern world. It’s time for some counter intelligence

I don't always see eye to eye with you on everything, but that... is sheer brilliance.

I have kind of an out there take on all this. I do understand the implications, of course right now most of this data is just being used to target ads with slightly more relevance to us which in and of it's self doesn't matter. Government's ability to get their hands on it and all the stuff that can be figured out by the kind of mass data processing and correlation is a worry.

The thing is though, if you think you're going to be able to just not participate in things that collect the data you're nuts. This stuff is only going to get more and more pervasive and intrusive. A lot of it already doesn't require you to even own a smartphone or have a social media account and that's only going to increase. Any thoughts of stopping it are naive. You can't put the genie back in the bottle. On the extreme longshot case that you got our government to pass laws banning it another country would be using it. It's a simple reality- if the technology exists somebody is going to use it.

The end result is going to be that our society will have to change. Change into what, I'm not sure. To me the ideal would be a culture of more forgiveness- everyone's got something they're ashamed of in their past(or present) so we've just got to learn to forgive and forget. The other extreme is the social credit system they're doing in China which is some pretty dystopian stuff.

I have kind of an out there take on all this. I do understand the implications, of course right now most of this data is just being used to target ads with slightly more relevance to us which in and of it's self doesn't matter. Government's ability to get their hands on it and all the stuff that can be figured out by the kind of mass data processing and correlation is a worry.

The thing is though, if you think you're going to be able to just not participate in things that collect the data you're nuts. This stuff is only going to get more and more pervasive and intrusive. A lot of it already doesn't require you to even own a smartphone or have a social media account and that's only going to increase. Any thoughts of stopping it are naive. You can't put the genie back in the bottle. On the extreme longshot case that you got our government to pass laws banning it another country would be using it. It's a simple reality- if the technology exists somebody is going to use it.

The end result is going to be that our society will have to change. Change into what, I'm not sure. To me the ideal would be a culture of more forgiveness- everyone's got something they're ashamed of in their past(or present) so we've just got to learn to forgive and forget. The other extreme is the social credit system they're doing in China which is some pretty dystopian stuff.

A nation of forgiveness?

You do know about the deep religious puritanical roots here right? Yes we gave birth to the bill of rights, one of the best documents in history, but we also spawned the prohibition (where the gov went as far as to poison alcohol killing some 10,000 people), as well as the witch trials, no knock military style raids over someone smoking a cigarette made from the wrong leaf, and a media that will make you think letting the TSA molest your kid is a good idea because “terrorists” (especially ones who worship a different sky creature than most Americans) even though our own government kills more innocent people per year just in wrongful police shootings alone, than people killed by the terries.

We have never been a nation of forgiveness, it’s not in our DNA, just like we didn’t forgive England back in the day when we won our independence, we are a nation of conquering, the “righteous” person is the one who can put the most force on the other.

A nation of forgiveness?

You do know about the deep religious puritanical roots here right? Yes we gave birth to the bill of rights, one of the best documents in history, but we also spawned the prohibition (where the gov went as far as to poison alcohol killing some 10,000 people), as well as the witch trials, no knock military style raids over someone smoking a cigarette made from the wrong leaf, and a media that will make you think letting the TSA molest your kid is a good idea because “terrorists” (especially ones who worship a different sky creature than most Americans) even though our own government kills more innocent people per year just in wrongful police shootings alone, than people killed by the terries.

We have never been a nation of forgiveness, it’s not in our DNA, just like we didn’t forgive England back in the day when we won our independence, we are a nation of conquering, the “righteous” person is the one who can put the most force on the other.

You're not wrong which is why I said it was the ideal. Still, I hope if enough people loose jobs in their adult life over some offensive thing they put on social media when they were 14 or a compromising picture from a college party from a decade prior maybe attitudes will change. I don't necessarily think they will but if people were smart they'd realize we all have something we'd rather not get dragged into public in our past.

Except for the fact they could tell it was saliva from a dog.

You’d think so, but I wonder if the government just “doing their jerb” wouldn’t file it away under John Smith non the less lol

Social media when I was a teenager? It didn't exist. There are advantages to being "old", that which we did as teenagers isn't plastered all over the internet. :p

You’d think so, but I wonder if the government just “doing their jerb” wouldn’t file it away under John Smith non the less lol
Then if one of bit relatives someone.... I don't know why you would put your dog in such an untenable position.

Back