What other countries use numbers in their registrations, other than the U.S.?

RussR

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Russ
Been flying down near (and over) Mexico a lot the past few weeks, and hearing lots of the XAxxx callsigns got me thinking. When I hear ATC tripping over their tongues trying to get out something like "Charlie Foxtrot Golf Foxtrot Alpha" or "X-Ray Alpha Quebec Yankee Zulu", instead of something easier like "One Two Three Alpha Bravo", it makes me wonder why the U.S. uses numbers but (it seems) few other countries do.

I know the UK is just letters, as are (most?) other European countries.

I know that some countries have a number in their prefix (like S5 is Slovenia and 6Y is Jamaica), but other than the prefix, how prevalent are numbers in the actual registration?

Some clicking around on flightradar24.com didn't show very many numbers in registrations.

So, why aren't numbers used more often in airplane registrations? Some historical reason? After all, numbers are the same in many languages whereas the letters are different. Is it my English-centric viewpoint that makes it seem like numbers are easier and quicker to pronounce? Are there other countries that use numbers as well?

Or is it just because they aren't needed? After all, a single-letter prefix like "C" for Canada, using 4 more letters (as registrations seem to be 5 characters in "most" countries) still gives you 450,000 combinations. Adding numbers brings that to 1.6 million combinations.

why aren't numbers used more often in airplane registrations? Some historical reason?
The nationality part or prefix of the registration number is issued by ICAO. Whether numbers or letters are used after that prefix is up to the registering country. System goes back to the Chicago Convention.

Okay, wise guys, I've edited the title to ask "what" instead of "do any".

Though I do agree that your answers are technically correct.

I've edited the title to ask "what" instead of "do any".
The 1st link is an ICAO list of the country prefixes showing numbers/letters used. The 2nd link is wiki based but dont know how accurate it is for remaining part of the reg format by various countries. But have used it in previous research.
ICAO List

Wiki List

The 1st link is an ICAO list of the country prefixes showing numbers/letters used. The 2nd link is wiki based but dont know how accurate it is for remaining part of the reg format by various countries. But have used it in previous research.
ICAO List

Wiki List

That second list is actually really interesting and is what I was wondering about.

In the U.S., of course, all letters and numbers are fair game for all aircraft as long as it's not a number after a letter (which is another "why" question I have).

But in, for example, Argentina, if the registration has a number in it, it is an experimental, LSA, or ultralight. Type-certified aircraft are only letters.

In Austria, only gliders and motorgliders have numbers.

Some (many?) countries indicate the use of the plane somehow in the registration. For example, Cuba, following the CU-, the next letter is A for Ag, C for cargo, etc., then a 4-digit number.

Geez, Sweden breaks up the registration by make (Piper, Cessna, etc.), number of engines and even weight!

And on like that. Very interesting (to me).

Some (many?) countries indicate the use of the plane somehow in the registration.
The US did the same thing up to the late 40s. There is actually a provision to display those older reg numbers per Part 45.22.

In reality aircraft registration numbers were originally radio call signs as issued by an international radio organization which is still part of the equation per ICAO Annex 7.

I found this bit interesting (re. United States)
"Prior to 1948 the letter 'N' was usually suffixed by one of the six following; 'C' for Commercial, 'L' for Limited, 'P' for Private, 'R' for Restricted, 'S' for State or 'X' for Experimental. E prefix designates FAR part-103 ultralight aircraft registered via the EAA organization."

I think I knew that...and of course I've seen many old Piper Cubs and such with NCxxx numbers on the wings
but I don't recall knowing about all the choices for that second letter.... Not sure if I've ever noticed one that was other than NCxxx

Side question...what are the requirements for aircraft today in using numbers like NCxxx ? Is that number only painted on the wings just for a vintage look, with a regular Nxxx number on the tail for the "real" registration?

The US did the same thing up to the late 40s. There is actually a provision to display those older reg numbers per Part 45.22.

In reality aircraft registration numbers were originally radio call signs as issued by an international radio organization which is still part of the equation per ICAO Annex 7.

US radio calls signs start with AA - AL, K, N, or W.

It looks like if the flying cars become everyday, we have room for a lot more registrations. :D

Side question...what are the requirements for aircraft today in using numbers like NCxxx ? Is that number only painted on the wings just for a vintage look, with a regular Nxxx number on the tail for the "real" registration?
See 14CFR Part 45, section 45.22, "Exhibition, Antique, and other Aircraft: Special Rules".

A small U.S.-registered aircraft built at least 30 years ago or a U.S.-registered aircraft for which an experimental certificate has been issued under § 21.191(d) or 21.191(g) for operation as an exhibition aircraft or as an amateur-built aircraft and which has the same external configuration as an aircraft built at least 30 years ago may be operated without displaying marks in accordance with §§ 45.21 and 45.23 through 45.33 if:

(1) It displays in accordance with § 45.21(c) marks at least 2 inches high on each side of the fuselage or vertical tail surface consisting of the Roman capital letter “N” followed by:

(i) The U.S. registration number of the aircraft; or

(ii) The symbol appropriate to the airworthiness certificate of the aircraft (“C”, standard; “R”, restricted; “L”, limited; or “X”, experimental) followed by the U.S. registration number of the aircraft...

Ron Wanttaja

Back