What laptop to buy

AdamZ

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Adam Zucker
Last Window's laptop I bought was a Toshiba use it mostly for home use. I've been pretty happy with it. At the time it was one of the laptops to get. Looking for a Windows laptop for work, any suggestions?

Microsoft just released some new Surface laptops. If I didn't already have a tablet from work, I think that's the way I would have gone.

Where are the Apple fans stirring the pot? ;)

(Yes, Adam, I did see your spec....). I retired my Asus Windows laptop in favor of a MacBook, which has worked well except that MS has really borked Outlook Mac 2016.

My last two laptops have been higher-end, business-class HPs. I have no complaints. One of them is going on ten years old and is still in service (albeit in a different role). The newer one is about three years old and runs like the day I bought it. My primary desktop computer is also one of the HP business-class machines, and I have no complaints about that one either.

The HP models marketed to consumers, however, are loaded with crapware. I sometimes wonder whether the absence of crapware is the main difference between the consumer and business models. But I digress.

What do you need the laptop to do? That would be helpful information.

Rich

Where are the Apple fans stirring the pot? ;)

(Yes, Adam, I did see your spec....). I retired my Asus Windows laptop in favor of a MacBook, which has worked well except that MS has really borked Outlook Mac 2016.
I'm right here. I've yet to own a PC that lasts and runs as smooth as the MacBook Pro I have. You pay a bit more, but it's worth it in the long run IMO. Also consider the savings of not having to purchase anti-virus software every so often.

Dell XPS 13. Not a cheap laptop but I'm on the road with it 14-16 days a month. Best built laptop I've ever owned and I've carried laptops since ~1993. Small, light, and thin, too.

Lenovo Yoga. Reasonably priced, solidly built, great performer. And it will work as a tablet if you want.

I really don't know what to buy in the PC world, I used to always get Thinkpads while they were still made by IBM. Haven't tried a lenovo yet... heard good things. I may try one someday.... do they still have the trackpoint mouse? I really missed having those, touchpads are terrible IMO but they're the current standard.

Anyway the only laptops I've been happy with in the past 10 years or so have been Macbook Pros.

I live in both worlds. Still love my MacBook but my new Dell Latitude 7370 is also solid state, very fast, and thinner than my Mac. You get what you pay for and solid state drives are worth every penny.

I travel a lot so my IT guy pitched my desktop and replaced it with the Dell and multiple docking stations so as I move between offices I just carry my primary computer. It works great.

Last edited:
I'm right here. I've yet to own a PC that lasts and runs as smooth as the MacBook Pro I have. You pay a bit more, but it's worth it in the long run IMO. Also consider the savings of not having to purchase anti-virus software every so often.
I'm working on a Windows 7 PC that I bought in 2009. It is still running well. I keep hoping it will die so I can buy a new system, but to be honest, there is no reason I need a newer one. I'm just bored with this.

I had this one built by a local computer shop that caters to businesses. I bought this from him when I owned my business and it was built to business specs. The only thing I would do to it might be to upgrade the disk to solid state. But I keep hoping it dies so I can buy a laptop like the one kgruber described so I can get rid of the mouse, keyboard, power cord, vga cord and ethernet cord. And save some real estate on my desk.

http://ww70w.ebay.com/itm/252737329238?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

256 M.2 SS drive (newest fasted drive)..........room for another SSD drive
i5 7200 processor ......(the latest)
lighted keyboard
optical drive
8GB....one piece, open slot for another
WIN 10
Graphics Controller Model: GeForce 940MX with 2GB dedicated memory
hi-res screen 1920 x 1080
3 USB ports, one is 3.1

AND, only $443
Out of the box it looks brand new.
The link doesn't work for me. I'd like to know what size screen it has.

Lenovo, Dell or HP, and not a "MSRP starting at" model. I'm a Lenovo guy, have been for 10 years, and I abuse my laptops, badly - never had a failure.

Whatever laptop is available for sale at Costco.

Windows laptops are largely commoditized, so there's little to differentiate between one or the other except minor features (that invariably get you into trouble when you need a specialized driver for it.) But going with Costco provides a little assurance that if there's a problem with it, you can bring it back for a refund or replacement.

That said, Asus, Dell, HP are all fine. Get one with a touch screen so you can take advantage of the Windows 10 touch screen/tablet interface. Or if you can do something like the aforementioned Surface tablet, or a 2-in-1 laptop that turns into a tablet, I'd think you'd be in good shape.

Or you can just get a MacBook and never look back. (OK, how's that for representing the Apple Fanbois?) :p

Lenovo, Dell or HP, and not a "MSRP starting at" model. I'm a Lenovo guy, have been for 10 years, and I abuse my laptops, badly - never had a failure.

When I was still fixing computers for a living, I rarely came across a Lenovo that had any sort of hardware problem other than those caused by users (spills, drops, and so forth). In fact, I'm not sure I ever came across a single one. I had my doubts when IBM sold their PC line to the Chinese, but they seem to have maintained and possibly even improved the quality of the brand. I certainly had more repair calls for IBMs than I ever did for Lenovos. My lack of experience with Lenovo despite their respectable market share tells me they're doing something right.

That being said, the business-class HP machines have always packed more bang for the buck, in my opinion, even without the employee discounts I used to get on them when I belonged to HP's credit union. Their consumer-grade machines are more of a crap shoot. They aren't bad at the higher ends of the lines, but they tend to be very underpowered at the low end. The consumer-targeted machines also come with absurd amounts of crapware on them that you don't get with the machines marketed to business users.

On the down side, although hardware failures on HP machines were pretty rare, their older machines (including the desktop lines) seemed intentionally designed to be hard to work on and used a lot of proprietary parts, all of which were overpriced if out of warranty. The newer machines are no different to work on than any other manufacturer's, but a lot of the power supplies are still proprietary. I routinely ordered spares, but don't recall ever actually installing one. I have a spare for my own desktop HP machine in the closet dutifully gathering dust.

Dell was a mixed bag. I fixed more Dells than all other brands combined, and many of the problems were in fact design or manufacturing defects. On the other hand, their machines were designed to be easy to work on, and they were very good about replacing faulty parts -- right down to motherboards -- even if the repair company wasn't an officially-authorized Dell service center. I guess that's because they were also okay with shipping parts directly to consumers for DIY repairs. It saved them from having to pay whichever company was doing their warranty service calls that week for a house call.

I rarely was called upon to fix Acer or Asus machines, which may or may not mean anything because of their relatively low market share. But I did own an Acer laptop for a while and it was a very good machine.

All that being said, all the manufacturers have tops and bottoms to their lines, and I usually bought at or near the tops, whether for myself or on behalf of clients. At the top, pretty much all the machines will be decent. They're pretty much commoditized. I leaned toward the brands that caused me the least grief when things did go wrong, which were HP and Dell. They were both good about honoring warranty claims and shipping parts directly to me, despite my not being any sort of "authorized" service company.

Sony, on the other hand, was the worst. They insisted that their machines be shipped to California for repairs, no matter how minor the problem, with turnaround averaging from two to four weeks. I remember one time when they wouldn't even ship me a PCI NIC to swap into one of their desktop machines to replace a failed one. They also told me that if I replaced the NIC from my inventory they would void the warranty on the machine for breaking the seal. The customer had just lost her husband in the 9/11 attacks a few days before, but even that didn't sway them. It was either ship the machine to California or void the warranty. The customer didn't have another computer, so she chose to void the warranty. I haven't purchased anything from Sony since.

The other thing to consider on any laptop purchase is that they tend to be a pain in the ass to repair and upgrade, so I used to advise clients to lean toward the higher-end machines and to purchase something that should meet their needs for five years from the time of purchase. With desktop machines, I was more concerned with what upgrades the machines could support, if needed, than with their stock configurations.

Rich

I had real problems with service and parts on some Dell stuff I've had. They lost my business.

HP has been OK, though it comes with a bloat of crapware. The Lenovo laptop has worked well, it had some crapware, too, and is a bit slower than some other stuff - but it's been bulletproof. My Asus laptop did (does) fine and I'd look real hard at them if buying another one.

Whatever laptop is available for sale at Costco.

Windows laptops are largely commoditized, so there's little to differentiate between one or the other except minor features
I disagree (in part).
Those super low priced systems you see in the big box stores are low cost, partly because they use low cost components and utilize lower QC procedures. Cheaper parts don't last as long. Which might be fine if you like to upgrade every couple of years.

Fujitsu.

Lenovo has gone to ****. Dell was never good to start with.

A client required me to buy a macbook pro. Not sure yet whether I like it. The good thing, with parallels you can run different instances of Windows with each of them at a different update status, different java versions, different dot-net versions etc.

I had real problems with service and parts on some Dell stuff I've had. They lost my business.

HP has been OK, though it comes with a bloat of crapware. The Lenovo laptop has worked well, it had some crapware, too, and is a bit slower than some other stuff - but it's been bulletproof. My Asus laptop did (does) fine and I'd look real hard at them if buying another one.

I lost track of how many companies Dell contracted their warranty service to over the years. They were all pretty horrible. Once in a while you'd get a decent tech, but on a whole, it was a bad case of lowest-bidder syndrome. When I inquired about the contract, I couldn't imagine how any company could even break even on what they were willing to pay. I would lose money sending out college kids at $15.00 / hour to cover the calls.

I never had any issues with their willingness to ship parts, however. If anything, they seemed eager to send parts rather than pay for someone to do a service call.

But I've been out of that end of things for a while. Maybe things have changed.

Rich

I used Dell's commercial customer support last week to fix something I did. Excellent service is an understatement.

When I was still fixing computers for a living, I rarely came across a Lenovo that had any sort of hardware problem other than those caused by users (spills, drops, and so forth). In fact, I'm not sure I ever came across a single one. I had my doubts when IBM sold their PC line to the Chinese, but they seem to have maintained and possibly even improved the quality of the brand. I certainly had more repair calls for IBMs than I ever did for Lenovos. My lack of experience with Lenovo despite their respectable market share tells me they're doing something right.

Rich

Consumer-grade laptops last less than a year in my (very heavy) use. Most often it is the plastic chassis itself that simply starts to flex too much - I had a few Acers years and years ago, and in a year they got so bad that if I lifted the laptop from one corner, the laptop just shut down (motherboard flex). You can drop a Lenovo from a normal table and it'll survive the drop. You can also drop it with the charger connected hitting the charger first, and it won't break the charger connector. Stuff like this is what makes Lenovo better than most other brands.
Lenovo makes by far the sturdiest laptops (unless we start talking about Toughbook stuff), and I've never had an issue with them, I think I have 8 or 9 at the moment. I use T-stuff at home and X when I travel, I've stopped traveling with two laptops now because I've never had a failure.

Microsoft just released some new Surface laptops. If I didn't already have a tablet from work, I think that's the way I would have gone.

For the love of god, do NOT get a surface. My employer is replacing all the laptops with these right now. Thankfully the employee gets a choice between the Surface, a Lenovo and something else. Those that pick the surface have had NOTHING but problems.

Bad graphics cards, wireless video not working, resizing of objects when docked or when presenting sucks..and the list goes on and on.

There are horror stories for EACH brand of laptop/desktop maker. Microsoft clearly has the clout and bucks to make a quality computer product.

What laptop you pick will be a combination of the features, speed and capacity you want versus the price you will pay. If you are buying online then take a look at the reviews once you narrow in on one. if you are buying retail then talk to one of the techs at the store. Either way, they all come with a warranty and support, especialy Microsoft and Dell.

Just don't get an Apple unless you want to become 'a member of the cult.'

Laptops are a commodity. Lenovo no better than Acer. I'd never buy one from a local store.

For the love of god, do NOT get a surface. My employer is replacing all the laptops with these right now. Thankfully the employee gets a choice between the Surface, a Lenovo and something else. Those that pick the surface have had NOTHING but problems.

Bad graphics cards, wireless video not working, resizing of objects when docked or when presenting sucks..and the list goes on and on.

Interesting - they all seemed to get good reviews, but then again most reviewers don't spend more than a superficial length of time with the machine.

Interesting - they all seemed to get good reviews, but then again most reviewers don't spend more than a superficial length of time with the machine.

My father bought a surface 3 a while back, same situation. I owned an HP Envy 17 laptop for years, was perfect until the cooling fan starting flaking out.

My work laptop is a Dell latitude E6440, it's "OK".

The best laptop I owned was a lenovo (again, for work), though from what I understand the quality has gone to pot lately.

If I had to go by past experience I'd probably get another HP envy for home. If you're getting something for work I still think (despite some of their shortcomings) Lenovo is the way to go. I'd certainly pick it given the choice between a dell and a surface..

Consumer-grade laptops last less than a year in my (very heavy) use. Most often it is the plastic chassis itself that simply starts to flex too much
I've had similar experience but it's more like two or three years then repairs to extend it another year or two. The Dell XPS 13 has been a notable exception. The top and bottom plates are metal which make it much more robust.

I've had similar experience but it's more like two or three years then repairs to extend it another year or two. The Dell XPS 13 has been a notable exception. The top and bottom plates are metal which make it much more robust.

Yeah, my use is much more violent than most, I used to travel 150-200 days/year and use my laptops in very rough conditions when I'm working.

Business class get an HP Workstation. Best laptops I ever used. Awesome machines. Consumer class go with HP Envy. Nothing else HP.
Yes, I used to work for HP. Hope the best for them.

> "I rarely came across a Lenovo that had any sort of hardware problem other than those caused by users (spills, drops, and so forth). In fact, I'm not sure I ever came across a single one."

This. T series Thinkpad. Yes they still have the trackpoint (Ultranav I think it's called - I've never learned to use it). The T series is loaded with ports. The optical drive is removable (it's called an Ultrabay) and a second hard drive or a hot-swappable second battery can be inserted. There's an mSATA slot on the bottom that gives you a third hard drive if wanted. They come standard with every conceivable option. They are the only laptop certified to use on the ISS. The keyboards are fluid-protected and raved about by touch typists. Titanium, carbon fiber construction. Tough. Elegant. They are in a class by themselves and thanks to the fact corporations and schools buy them in huge numbers and upgrade every year or two, these wonderful machines show up on eBay and tech sales sites at very low cost . . . most still with active warranty. (Warranty BTW is attached to the machine, not the owner.) Parts are inexpensive and easily found. My favorite so far is the T430 with back-lighted keyboard. I've bought four Thinkpads over the years - still have them. None cost over $300. The wi-fi card on the T-400 (my first Thinkpad) has been the only failure and was an easy fix.

Back