What kids don't do anymore

DISQUALIFIED.

No adult supervision allowed!

I think I'm flattered that you consider me an adult. Or annoyed. I'll get back to you.:rofl: She doesn't have any brothers to show her the ropes... and the boys in the neighborhoods are all wimps whose parents would be aghast at them playing with fireworks. They're aghast that I take her up in one of those death-trap little airplanes.

I think I'm flattered that you consider me an adult. Or annoyed. I'll get back to you.:rofl: She doesn't have any brothers to show her the ropes... and the boys in the neighborhoods are all wimps whose parents would be aghast at them playing with fireworks. They're aghast that I take her up in one of those death-trap little airplanes.

Just make sure you tell them you're filing a flight plan, should be okay after that! ;)

In college there was a real ****ole fraternity that was sort of a rival I guess.
One time we filled up one of those big roll-away trashcans with H20 and "other stuff" ...leaned it against their door and chocked the other side of the can.....I still almost spay coffee on the keyboard as Im typing this remembering what I saw when one of those dirtbags finally opened the door...

Which brings me to another point. How do you know kids aren't doing these things any more. :devil:

Excellent point. Kids with smartphones, or just even just texting ability have an extremely powerful stealth communications network.

We would have killed for that...

Which brings me to another point. How do you know kids aren't doing these things any more. :devil:

Because lego's come in prepackaged well defined sets with a detailed set instructions on how to put them together nowadays.

Because lego's come in prepackaged well defined sets with a detailed set instructions on how to put them together nowadays.
Did you always follow instructions when you were a kid?

Yeah, I thought so.

When my kids have gotten those sets, they build it once, tear it apart and all the pieces go in the big bucket for them to make their own things with.

I use legos and firecrackers to teach my daughter about demo. They work great. Then we build a car, put bottle rockets on it, and it goes flying down the driveway and explodes. The only difference now is she uses a butane lighter with a long reach to light the fuses instead of a match the way I did.

AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But does she wear a helmet, eye, and ear protection?:rofl:

Yeah, I thought so.

Ya can't follow instructions if there are none.

I was at a friends house several years ago and one of the kids pulled out the lego box for me to play with him and he immediately started following instructions. I took the instructions away and said build something. The kid was at a complete loss at what to do. After 20 minutes of trying to get the point across, the kid was completely amazed I could build something in minutes yet he couldn't put more than 2-3 pieces together without reaching for the instructions because it was completely impossible. According to his teachers, he was very creative and original.

The local mall has a lego store. There are a few small bins of random pieces. The rest of the store is packed with prepackaged kits with instructions. The last time I was in there, you couldn't buy a box of lego's unless it was one of those defined sets.

IMNSHO, instructions coming with lego's is the canary in the coal mine...and he's dead.

Yeah, I thought so.

Nope.

Do you always follow instructions today?

Me neither. :D

IMNSHO, instructions coming with lego's is the canary in the coal mine...and he's dead.

That's pretty much why I stopped buying my nephew those pre-packaged
lego kits. He is quite creative and artistic, but has a tendency not
to "break" a kit by modifying the creature or kit.

It is harder to make stuff out of the prepackaged kits, as many of the pieces serve more specialized functions. Not impossible mind you, but I always thought it was a bit easier when all the pieces were more general in purpose.

Good One!

I always felt those prepackaged kits had all the cool parts to make other stuff :). I usually would build the thing it was supposed to be, get bored with it, and make something else.

Even as a kid I was a plane nerd. I built a somewhat shorts looking low wing cargo plane from several other airplane lego models. I think it's still mostly in one pice somewhere in my parent's basement...

Ya can't follow instructions if there are none.

I was at a friends house several years ago and one of the kids pulled out the lego box for me to play with him and he immediately started following instructions. I took the instructions away and said build something. The kid was at a complete loss at what to do. After 20 minutes of trying to get the point across, the kid was completely amazed I could build something in minutes yet he couldn't put more than 2-3 pieces together without reaching for the instructions because it was completely impossible. According to his teachers, he was very creative and original.

The local mall has a lego store. There are a few small bins of random pieces. The rest of the store is packed with prepackaged kits with instructions. The last time I was in there, you couldn't buy a box of lego's unless it was one of those defined sets.

My Dentist's office has a "pit" for his kid patients, equipped with a huge box of lego parts. It is fascinating to watch the kids make stuff with no instructions. Some them are very good, and some are clueless.

Last edited:
My 6 yr old nephew could probably make a fully-functional F22 Raptor out of a bucket of random Legos.

Nope.

Do you always follow instructions today?

Me neither. :D

I am an engineer. As any technician in the lab will tell you, the difference between an engineer and a technician is that when you get a new piece of test equipment the technician will read the manual and the engineer will just start pushing buttons and twisting knobs. Instructions? If I have to read them the box wasn't well designed. :D

I am an engineer. As any technician in the lab will tell you, the difference between an engineer and a technician is that when you get a new piece of test equipment the technician will read the manual and the engineer will just start pushing buttons and twisting knobs. Instructions? If I have to read them the box wasn't well designed. :D

As a fellow engineer, that's pretty much how I work. I keep instruction manuals for reference in case I have something that was particularly poorly designed on my hands.

Of course, engineers end up designing things, so it makes sense that we don't read instruction manuals - we know that the people who wrote them were likely technical writers (who don't know how the thing works in the first place), not engineers.

Of course, engineers end up designing things, so it makes sense that we don't read instruction manuals - we know that the people who wrote them were likely technical writers (who don't know how the thing works in the first place), not engineers.
When I am sitting in school and ask why something in the airplane is designed or labeled in an certain (non-intuitive) way the answer is usually, "It was designed by an engineer, not a pilot!". :D

When I am sitting in school and ask why something in the airplane is designed or labeled in an certain (non-intuitive) way the answer is usually, "It was designed by an engineer, not a pilot!". :D

Yeah, well that certainly is true. Being both means that both groups ignore me because they assume I'm just one of those crazy "others." ;)

what-the-customer-actually-wanted.jpg

:rofl: x10. I'm also an engineer (I'm seeing a trend here) and I've worked with technical writers before. Don't try to explain anything to them, they just get confused.

Also, I grew up with legos too, and I actually learned a lot from building sets with the instructions. Most of the kit designers were very good, and had very clever ways of assembling things.

As an engineer, I agree with the sentiments, but it's been my experience that Cisco writes things that are actually useful. Thus, when I get a new piece of Cisco gear, I actually read the docs before it comes out of the box.

:rofl: x10. I'm also an engineer (I'm seeing a trend here) and I've worked with technical writers before. Don't try to explain anything to them, they just get confused.

Also, I grew up with legos too, and I actually learned a lot from building sets with the instructions. Most of the kit designers were very good, and had very clever ways of assembling things.

Legos are too new. I grew up with Tinker Toys and an Erector set. You could sure build some good stuff with that Erector set. Not much electrical, other than plugging in the motor (watch out for those exposed gears in the transmission!)

Legos are too new. I grew up with Tinker Toys and an Erector set. You could sure build some good stuff with that Erector set. Not much electrical, other than plugging in the motor (watch out for those exposed gears in the transmission!)

You had the electric motor? I'm jealous.

You had the electric motor? I'm jealous.

Just because it doesn't come with one doesn't mean you can't add one..or two..or five. To heck with that, wind power and it's a generator to run other contraptions.

Lol the kids don't get to play with all of the fun stuff, because the adults steal it.

Case in point, my uncle Wilfried. He is a fanatic when it comes to Meccano, and other metal erector set toys.

3395014806_cd66b83f2d.jpg

Lol the kids don't get to play with all of the fun stuff, because the adults steal it.

Case in point, my uncle Wilfried. He is a fanatic when it comes to Meccano, and other metal erector set toys.

3395014806_cd66b83f2d.jpg

Now that's a SERIOUS Erector set. I am duly jealous! Never had anything approaching that capability.

Pete, you're the first person I know who actually has an uncle Wilfried. :D

As an engineer, I agree with the sentiments, but it's been my experience that Cisco writes things that are actually useful. Thus, when I get a new piece of Cisco gear, I actually read the docs before it comes out of the box.
Unless you're a Cisco expert with lots of Cisco-fu - you pretty much have to read those instructions because their software is not exactly intuitive.

I'm considered a cisco expert but my point is that the documentation is good even for experts

sent from my android using voice

Funny, I was at an airport hangar birthday party yesterday, a few kids there, and as we were sitting bemoaning how kids "just sit in front of the computer all day", "my folks used to throw me out of the house", etc., a 3-yr-old boy started hollering because he'd fallen while running around (!) and skinned his knee. That's right, he and a couple other kids were just running around, being kids (end of the hangar row, BTW, no hazard with taxiing planes, etc).

He kept crying until his uncle got him in a go-cart for a few laps around the hangar... instant smile. :D

The rest of the day he was affecting a slight limp and making sure everybody could see his "wounded knee", but he was not so much as pouting. He even did a little more running around later.

Seemed just like me and my pals when we were that age.

I remember, when I was a kid, my mom use to give me money to go ride my bike to the local Time Saver to buy her cigarettes. I use to get Garbage Pail Kid stickers with the change.

I remember, when I was a kid, my mom use to give me money to go ride my bike to the local Time Saver to buy her cigarettes. I use to get Garbage Pail Kid stickers with the change.
Garbage Pail kids! I remember those!

Back