What kids don't do anymore

AdamZ

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Adam Zucker
So EdFred's Magic Tablet thread and Rons 21st Centruy buggy whip thread got me thinking about Things that kids don't do any more. Ya know what kids don't do anymore?

They don't make phoney or crank phone calls. Caller ID has killed that.

Excuse me do you have Sir Walter Raliegh in a can? Yes? Well then Let him out! Click.

Ahh the good old days

So EdFred's Magic Tablet thread and Rons 21st Centruy buggy whip thread got me thinking about Things that kids don't do any more. Ya know what kids don't do anymore?

Excuse me do you have Sir Walter Raliegh in a can? Yes? Well then Let him out! Click.

Ahh the good old days

I loved prank calling. What fun... Call the bowling alley and ask if they had 10 pound balls.

We used to play "war" - a half dozen kids tromping through the woods pretending to figh Nazi's or other evildoers. Using sticks as our weapons. Today, that wouldn't be PC, and besides, seemingly everyone lives in subdivisions with 1/4 acre lots, so there aren't any woods to play in anyway.

We actually went fishing. And carried pocket knives to school. Kids were even seen out roaming the streets without parental oversight, and it seemed to work pretty well. Now the kids are locked in their houses playing PS3 or posting to aviation forums. ;-)

:D:D:D Thats funny. I remember calling the A&P and asking that question then hanging up...my first job WAS that same A&P....

Ahh the good old days

I can't remember the last time I heard about some kid peeing on an electric fence. Or making cootie-catchers in study hall.

They don't chase a hoop any more. Wii is more fun.

Late summer was apple time in our neighborhood. Every house seemed to have an apple tree. And no one minded if you picked them for some reason, probably because they were not ideal eating apples. For a few years, all the neighbor kids would have Apple Wars. It was all-out insanity, and quite organized, with rules of combat which escape me now...but I recall there were. Dozens of us, maybe even 50 of us would maraud the streets in one of two groups, collecting apples in bags, bushels, pails, our pockets - tuck in your shirt and you could put a bunch down the neck. These were small green apples...and hard. When the collecting was done we would form front-lines and the onslaught began, with great whoops and hollering.
Suddenly the air was a battle scene from Braveheart.....except instead of arrows or spears...it was these damn apples! For hours we would go through these cycles of collect/gather together on the front/bombard each other with hundreds of apples then repeat. Occasionally one of use would get a good bruising or whack on the noggin but never a serious injury. And no one went after cars, somehow we knew to respect houses/windows. Adults were around but they just watched to make sure we stayed within our limits. We knew not to get carried away because we knew we could never get away with anything...some parent was always within eye/earshot and if one parent pegged us with an infraction, then our own parents would too. (thats the old code of parenting). The Apple Wars of.....about 1972. We would arrive home at dinner time, out of breath, sweaty, exhausted, green fingers but after dinner we were out there for more!

Or the stunt we pulled in the dorm in college. Wire two phones together through a switch, remove the microphone elements (so the victims couldn't hear us laughing) and dial two different numbers. Both parties thought the other had called. Guy with girlfriend was one thing, campus police with campus fire department was another. And, during some tensions on campus, some characters hooked the head of the BSU with the president of the university. With caller ID you'd get caught, but in 1970 that wasn't a problem. :D

In general, less out doors play. Neighbor has two young girls, and a brand new play set with swings and slides. They used it the days he was building it, and the day after. Not once since, in six months.
PS: They have a new dog. The only one I've seen walking the kids new dog is Mom.

Late summer was apple time in our neighborhood. Every house seemed to have an apple tree. And no one minded if you picked them for some reason, probably because they were not ideal eating apples. For a few years, all the neighbor kids would have Apple Wars. It was all-out insanity, and quite organized, with rules of combat which escape me now...but I recall there were. Dozens of us, maybe even 50 of us would maraud the streets in one of two groups, collecting apples in bags, bushels, pails, our pockets - tuck in your shirt and you could put a bunch down the neck. These were small green apples...and hard. When the collecting was done we would form front-lines and the onslaught began, with great whoops and hollering.
Suddenly the air was a battle scene from Braveheart.....except instead of arrows or spears...it was these damn apples! For hours we would go through these cycles of collect/gather together on the front/bombard each other with hundreds of apples then repeat. Occasionally one of use would get a good bruising or whack on the noggin but never a serious injury. And no one went after cars, somehow we knew to respect houses/windows. Adults were around but they just watched to make sure we stayed within our limits. We knew not to get carried away because we knew we could never get away with anything...some parent was always within eye/earshot and if one parent pegged us with an infraction, then our own parents would too. (thats the old code of parenting). The Apple Wars of.....about 1972. We would arrive home at dinner time, out of breath, sweaty, exhausted, green fingers but after dinner we were out there for more!

Yes yes we did that too. The apples we used were crab apples small about the size of a golf ball or a bit bigger. Man that was fun!

Ahh the good old days
Dude caller id can so easily be blocked.

Ahh the good old days

I know a lot of teenagers doing prank calls still.. THey generally use online VOIP services like Skype that hide their identity. Of course if law enforcement really wanted to track them down they probably could - but most prank calls never make it that far.

Dude caller id can so easily be blocked.

Yeah Star what ever it is but then they also have *59 that marks the call. Ah it just ain't what it used to be. Kids don't even appreciate brain freeze on a really really hot summer day drinking a slurpee or ice pop. Hell do kids even eat twin pops these days. Damn I need to get some twin pops for this summer.

Brain Freeze:yikes:

When was the last time someone lit a sack of dog doodie on a porch and rung the door bell before running away? :D

At Halloween it was soaping windows, t-p the bushes & tossing shucked field corn at windows, then running. A kid down the street got the first sting ray bike we ever saw& we all rode our bikes all over town. You could just jump off your bike in the front yard, and the next morning it would still be lying there for your Dad to yell at you to put away. Helmets? HUH? When the first skate Boards came out, I tried to nail skate rollers to a plank. Dave

Business-owners don't have much as much fun now. Roy "Gooch" Gowdy ran a dry-cleaning business in part of the lobby of the old Casa Grande hotel that had seen better days prior to the 50's.

The ladies fitting room had been made by expanding the public restroom in a hall off of the lobby, and Gowdy rigged a rubber tarantula on a string and pulley arrangement. When a lady closed the spring-restrained door of the stall the spider came down from the ceiling and hung quivering at eye level. He had quite a few run-away's in various stages of undress and reported quite a few cussings received.

First of all, Adam, you come up with some great ideas for threads, seems like you've started a lot of these story/list type threads recently.

I grew up in the middle of the city, so there wasn't a lot of free room around me, but about three blocks east of my house was/is a huge open field back behind an old public school. In the northern most corner of this field, right along the rail road tracks, the city kept about five huge piles (I'm talking about 15' AGL at the summit) of surplus dirt. And this was good digging dirt, too...decent clay content so it would hold up trench walls, but still fine enough that you could wipe out on your bike and not...ya know...die. Ask me how I know about that.

Anyhow, me and the guy that lived behind me, every day we'd pile our dads' shovels, trowels, metal rakes, and anything else we could find that would move dirt, onto our bikes and set out for the "hills." We never knew what we were going to build until it was built, but it was always something impressive. Some days it was a mountain bike trail. Some days it was a battle field that would have made Civil War recreationists jealous. Some days we would just dig to see how far into the middle of the pile we could get. All in a day's work.

I would always get a funny look when I'd come riding up to the house at dinner time with a shovel over my shoulder, but to me, it just seemed like the thing to do. The absolute best days of the summer were when the city backhoes would come and turn the dirt. All the weeds were gone, just like that, and sometimes they'd even leave fresh dirt. It was like handing Picasso a white canvas, I tell you.

High school rolled around, and all that kind of fell by the wayside. I went home for some holiday during college and the hills were gone. Just an open field now. Even those train tracks have since been closed. No more flat pennies or impromptu dirt clod wars for Northeast Wichita.

Speaking of, we used to ride our bikes down the railroad tracks. Can't imagine that happens much any more. We had a couple games with that. 1) who could ride on the actual rail the farthest (usually ended in a long fall down an embankment), or 2) who could go the fastest over the ties (usually ended in a short fall over the handlebars; really the winner was just whoever either didn't break a bone or didn't get hit by a train). Man those active railroad tracks were awesome!

Last edited:
Pranks we played,,,,,,,, flush a M-80 down the boys toilet, it would go off in the main under the girls rest rooms, and blow all the water out of the girls toilets, we thought it was great fun,, the girls, not so much.

Late summer was apple time in our neighborhood. Every house seemed to have an apple tree. And no one minded if you picked them for some reason, probably because they were not ideal eating apples. For a few years, all the neighbor kids would have Apple Wars.

Holy Scat, I had forgotten about those, an apple the size of a tennis ball can be thrown a hundred Yards by sticking it on a cane pole and whipping it just right.

Putting "tornados" between the lid rests and the bowls in the girls bathroom, then hiding behind the stairs to hear the pops and screams. And fearing for our lives the day Irene Howard (the no-nonsense senior english teacher) was victimized.

Pranks we played,,,,,,,, flush a M-80 down the boys toilet, it would go off in the main under the girls rest rooms, and blow all the water out of the girls toilets, we thought it was great fun,, the girls, not so much.

Ohhh, I just remembered another one, as long as we're talking about pranks. Saran wrapping toilet seats. Then later in high school, we would saran wrap people's car doors shut. Only once with them in it, though.

The prank call is definitely not dead... a recent favorite: calling two Chinese restaurants and making each expediter think they are taking a delivery order from the other. :rofl: Obnoxious, but a lot more clever than "Uh... is your refrigerator running?"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0wq6bCiuLo

Shovel snow
Cut lawns

When we moved into our first house, in Md, the grass had already grown quite long. My wife asked when I was going to buy a lawnmower. I confidently replied, "Don't worry, hon, I'll just pay one of the local kids to do it. I'm sure a few will be by shortly to ask for the work."

10 years later, nary a knock. I bought a mower in the meantime.

Would you believe I repeated the same mistake that winter. "Honey, why don't you get some snow shovels in case of snow." "No, no, no need for that, kids in the neighborhood will come by. I'll pay them." Guess what - never ever happened, not even in the blizzard of 96. I bought shovels.

Yeah Star what ever it is but then they also have *59 that marks the call. Ah it just ain't what it used to be. Kids don't even appreciate brain freeze on a really really hot summer day drinking a slurpee or ice pop. Hell do kids even eat twin pops these days. Damn I need to get some twin pops for this summer.

Brain Freeze:yikes:
That can be done but only amateurs would do that. Jesse stated the preferred way for prankster to thwart those services. The other way is to use a phone that you would not care if they tracked back or for the more ingenious to spook the caller ID with another number.

I deal with this all the time, I have to remind myself what a fossil I am when I deal with the youngsters. The kids today have never had to get up to change the channel. They've never had to dial a telephone (remember how you used to hate numbers with multiple zeros?). They've never been without the internet. Any child under 10 is going to never have known an America at peace.

I deal with this all the time, I have to remind myself what a fossil I am when I deal with the youngsters. The kids today have never had to get up to change the channel. They've never had to dial a telephone (remember how you used to hate numbers with multiple zeros?). They've never been without the internet. Any child under 10 is going to never have known an America at peace.

I still remember an old high school girlfriends number, because it was always such a PIA to dial. 328-9948. That last sequence was a killer.

Would you believe I repeated the same mistake that winter. "Honey, why don't you get some snow shovels in case of snow." "No, no, no need for that, kids in the neighborhood will come by. I'll pay them." Guess what - never ever happened, not even in the blizzard of 96. I bought shovels.

I bought a Ford Excursion. Snow? What snow? :D

Let's see... I never saw the point in prank calls, it was just a waste of time. We'd have snowball fights and throw snowballs at the subway operators and busses. The urban jungle lacks a lot of opportunities for such things.

I'm not sure I see a problem with kids not doing a lot of this stuff. A good sum of it was frequently trespassing. If I caught any of the neighbor kids trespassing on my property I'd haul them off by their ears to their parents for a lecture on what a property line is (this lecture is coming from me for both kids and parents). Maybe people used to be friendlier, but my neighbors aren't for sure.

Now that's one thing that kids don't do anymore that they should - get hauled off by their ears and smacked when they misbehave!

Hmmm: Prank calls... This is the electric company... is your streetlight on? yes? well. please turn it off when you go to bed...click.

Leaving the house in the morning and hearing "Be back for dinner" (I won't let my son out of my sight)

Borrowing a few eggs from the neighbors to egg cars.

Mowing lawns, buying a gallon of gas or spray paint without being thought a terrorist.

Using glue to actually glue something.

getting together for kickball/baseball/etc... on our own,

Waiting for the mosquito truck to come so we could all run in the fog (don't want to think about what we were breathing)

Hitchhike (ok, not the smartest thing)

Waiting for the mosquito truck to come so we could all run in the fog (don't want to think about what we were breathing)

I forgot about that one. Malathion, wasn't it? I can't remember for sure, I probably lost a few brain cells because of it.

Borrowing a few eggs from the neighbors to egg cars.

If the neighbor kids trespassing results in getting hauled off by the ear, this would result in significantly worse things, that's outright vandalism.

Pulling up survey stakes.... hmm in retrospect it would better if I had just moved them a few feet. :devil:

Now that's a bit funnier. ;)
At that age I don't think I really understood what survey stakes were for. All I knew was that when they started appearing in the woods the next thing you knew they were excavating a foundation for a house and our play area just got smaller.

What is the statute of limitations on childhood pranks? :D

Shovel snow
Cut lawns
That was my hustle from age 8 to 14.

We used to ride bikes, catch snakes, and have spontaneous break dance parties in the middle of the street. There were woods across the street from my house that we built bike trails in. No helmets. If you crashed hard you walked it off. It also doubled as a manhunt arena when the sun went down. There was also a mental institute another block away on guarded property. A good place to practice stealth A good friend of mine built the mother of all tree houses in his backyard and the only way down was a huge rope. Then he messed around around and got a pool, conveniently in line with the rope. Those were fun times. We were actually ****ed off when we had to go home.

In general, less out doors play. Neighbor has two young girls, and a brand new play set with swings and slides. They used it the days he was building it, and the day after. Not once since, in six months.
PS: They have a new dog. The only one I've seen walking the kids new dog is Mom.

When I use to live in a rathole (aka apartment) there was about 12 or so miles of walking trails through the several square mile nice residential area including 8 or 9 playgrounds and 4 school yards with fields. The trails went through the area behind houses where alleyways usually are. I went for a walk at random times of the day almost daily. Excluding the schoolgrounds during forced recess class and before/after school and people going to/from their vehicles, adults were practically nonexistent (yardwork) and I saw exactly ONE kid outside over a 7 year period. Swingsets, bicycles in the backyard and they were never used and I don't think any of them ever moved. You could walk the entire area pretending you're the last person on the earth and not be able to prove otherwise except for the main roads full of high velocity cars flying past.

Airport kids are done nowadays with the paranoia running rampant. (Heck, I'm creeped out at going to some of the airports that make a medium security prison look like an open campus)

Treehouses. I'm not talking about that prefabricated safety designed junk. I'm talking assorted scrap wood, a box of nails, a hammer, a saw, some rope and a random tree.

Proof that creativity is dying off with kids and they'll all be drones in the next 30 years or so: Lego's now come with detailed sets of instruction telling you how to put them together and kids looking at you like you just beat a puppy when you start assembling something without pulling out the instructions.

Taking rowboats out on ponds without supervision. (Do kids know how to swim anymore?)

Drinking from waterhoses and washing out bad scrapes with pond water then keep playing.

You do not want to know what we did in the barn on a working farm. I can tell stories that will not let you sleep for a week. All unsupervised of course.

We use to be told to go outside and not come back until it's so dark that all we can find is the light from the house.

A kid in my junior high tried that trick but managed to total the toilet instead which inflicted serious damage to the kid both during the explosion and afterwards when the authorities went after him.

Hide a porno mag under the mattress. Look at the ladies' underwear section of the Sears catalog, or at the "natives" in National Geographic. Kids these days just don't appreciate how much work went into seeing naked stuff back then.
-harry

Back