What is your success story?

Ashlyn Maria

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Ashlyn Maria
Was there ever a time in your aviation journey that you felt like giving up? That your learning came to a standstill or you hit a wall in your training/learning? How did you overcome? Tell us your success story!

Sent from my SM-A515U using Tapatalk

Stall training. Would stumble out of the plane, nauseous, and sit in my car for a half-hour before driving home. The success is I never puked. My inner ear really didn't like stall training. It doesn't care anymore. I simply stuck it out, kept my eye on the prize, and eventually got over it.

Prior to solo. Got discouraged because I felt that the instructor was on the controls too much and I wasn't "feeling" what I needed to do to land better. We had a sit down talk and about 2 flights later I did solo.

NDB approaches.

But one day it clicked, and NDB approached became the easiest of all.

Also landings.

Honestly, no. For my private I never had any doubts. My biggest concern was that my cfi's schedule didn't allow him to fly as much as I'd like.

During my instrument training I screwed up an arc and told the cfii "I don't think I'm smart enough for this"

He laughed and replied "you definitely are, my controls". He gave me a break and we went back to it. I wouldn't have given up totally, but that was a low point and his reassurance made a huge difference. I suspect I would've taken some time off and set my progress back months of he'd let me.

Mine was actually a flying job that I was seeing as a dead end, and if I was still there in a year, I’d probably have gotten out of aviation.

fortunately I got fired. :D

So long ago, I can’t remember what it was or wasn’t.

Cheers

I successfully waited 8 hours bottle to throttle once

Yes. I got drenched with skydrol early in my career. That made me want to quit. I didn’t because I didn’t want to waste all the money I spent on training.

NDB approaches.

But one day it clicked, and NDB approached became the easiest of all.
Mine was NDB too. My CFII was great but he had natural situational awareness when it came to NDB. You could knock him unconscious and have him awaken with nothing more than a compass and an ADF and tell him to intercept a random bearing and he's head right to it. Would even take a second to figure it out. Just head there. I was at the opposite end of the spectrum. You could put me on the final approach course of an NDB approach pointed in the right direction and I'd manage to screw it up.

So one night, he has me working on NDB tracking and interception. It was NOT going to happen. Finally, in frustration, I ripped off the hood, let go of the controls, folded my arms across my chest and said, "Your airplane!"

Andre took the controls. "You really worked hard. Let's call it a night. Take us home." I replied, "I guess you didn't hear me. YOUR CONTROLS!" I refused to touch them. Andre flew back to our home base.

Unlike you, it never became easy. Lucked out on my instrument practical. I finally taught myself a way to understand it while working on my CFII years later. For practice I ended up teaching the technique to a friend/Guinea pig who also had trouble with them. It worked. Now he could fly them great. I'd still screw them up. To my everlasting gratitude, the ADF effectively disappeared from US cockpits.

Funny thing though, On glass panels I love secondary nav bearing pointers. Go figure.

I was sitting around one morning waiting for the onslaught of meetings when I got a message from @Ted, "Wanna be a POA moderator?" It's been nothing but fame and fortune ever since.

Nauga,
with a target on his back. And front. And sides.

Reactions: Ted
Was there ever a time in your aviation journey that you felt like giving up? That your learning came to a standstill or you hit a wall in your training/learning? How did you overcome? Tell us your success story!

Sent from my SM-A515U using Tapatalk

Giving up? No. Really frustrated I wasn’t learning a something as quickly as I thought I should be? Many times. And it continues through out the journey.

Mine was NDB too. My CFII was great but he had natural situational awareness when it came to NDB. You could knock him unconscious and have him awaken with nothing more than a compass and an ADF and tell him to intercept a random bearing and he's head right to it. Would even take a second to figure it out. Just head there. I was at the opposite end of the spectrum. You could put me on the final approach course of an NDB approach pointed in the right direction and I'd manage to screw it up.

So one night, he has me working on NDB tracking and interception. It was NOT going to happen. Finally, in frustration, I ripped off the hood, let go of the controls, folded my arms across my chest and said, "Your airplane!"

Andre took the controls. "You really worked hard. Let's call it a night. Take us home." I replied, "I guess you didn't hear me. YOUR CONTROLS!" I refused to touch them. Andre flew back to our home base.

Unlike you, it never became easy. Lucked out on my instrument practical. I finally taught myself a way to understand it while working on my CFII years later. For practice I ended up teaching the technique to a friend/Guinea pig who also had trouble with them. It worked. Now he could fly them great. I'd still screw them up. To my everlasting gratitude, the ADF effectively disappeared from US cockpits.

Funny thing though, On glass panels I love secondary nav bearing pointers. Go figure.
I got my instrument training at an airport that only had NDBs, so I’ve always been fairly comfortable with them as an instrument pilot. But I discovered that teaching them was best done nowhere near an airplane.

I’d take an oil can and put it in the middle of the hangar floor or the ramp, designate north, south, east, and west, give the student a piece of paper with a compass rose on it for heading and a pencil to use as an ADF pointer, and we’d walk around “flying” procedures. The pencil always points toward the oil can, the compass rose stays oriented to north, and if there’s a crosswind we walk sideways.

after about half an hour they either get it or they fake it well enough that they don’t have to do this stupid exercise anymore. ;)

Oh training, probably some that the usual few hundred dollars didn’t eventually fix. But after training and cert, two clear periods years apart in my logbook where zero flying happened. Both were from going beyond what a VFR pilot should fly. Both worked out In the end but many hours were spent ruminating over the choice. I’m a little more cautious now, and got the IR for the 4 months a year where it’s useful in a non-fiki SE situation.

Back