What is your narrowest runway?

Dwight http://www.airnav.com/airport/KDTG

Listed as 21ft asphalt in fair condition. The middle was in fair condition but the 3 feet on each edge were all broken up and grown over with grass leaving about 15ft in the middle.

Berry Hill - 7GA7
3000 x 40 ft
(That I've been into)

IMG_2984.JPG

7V2 isn't the narrowest I've been on but it prolly has the largest consequences for operating on the edge.

I think at Galt airport 10C in IL 2800x36
They repaved the runway in Juneau a few years ago and we all had to use the taxiway to TO & landing. It's 75' wide, no big deal for GA but Alaska Airlines had to use it as well, it was cool watching a 737 land on the taxiway. I'll bet the cockpit crew said a little prayer on every landing...:)

Last edited:
Found my picture I took....at the far end is a mobile home sales park you have to turn around in. Haha but it's 3500x16.

Attachments

• SmartSelectImage_2017-08-28-00-24-32.png
    SmartSelectImage_2017-08-28-00-24-32.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 47
I was going to say Parr (42i) at 3,100' x 27' until I saw your post. I've been to Roosterville! Been quite a while though.

Another vote for Roosterville. Went there one month after getting my PPL. Quite different than the 150' I was used to!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm curious, when was that? I never got to land on runway 29, but W1 (the taxiway that it turned into) is a lot wider than that today.

It was 86-87 when I was training at NUQ and my instructor would take me to SJC.

I believe it was widened to 100' in 89. Don't know when it was closed and became part of the taxiway. I left the Bay Area in 88.

30' for me. KPVJ in Pauls Valley, OK. Runway was undergoing some heavy maintenance and they were using the taxiway for several months. 40' to 50' is the norm for small town strips around here.

Harris Ranch has a lot of nothing down both sides so as long as you can keep your wheels on the pavement, there's no big thing.
Unless the winds are blowing, the traffic is usually light enough that you can land on 14 and takeoff on 32 and avoid backtaxiing.

40' at homebase KVKX
8db8eec4-4230-460b-be19-39c878c9cb25.jpg

3700x30' - Haskell, OK (2K9) in a 172. I've never stopped there, just a couple of TnGs over the years, and not with more than 5-7kt crosswind component. Challenging-enough for a low time PP, but certainly doable in a 172 without any fuss. Runway length is certainly no problem.

Spanaway WA. S44 is 20'

Runway Information
Runway 16/34
Dimensions: 2724 x 20 ft. / 830 x 6 m

Harris Ranch has a lot of nothing down both sides so as long as you can keep your wheels on the pavement, there's no big thing.
Unless the winds are blowing, the traffic is usually light enough that you can land on 14 and takeoff on 32 and avoid backtaxiing.

Than is a part of what I don't like about Harris Ranch. Radio calls are often haphazard; I have seen both left and right patterns and people appear to do whatever they want.

I found it disquieting when after having made all my radio calls and on short final for runway 32 a Cessna 172 pulled out onto runway 14 and made a downwind takeoff with no announcement.

Winds were approximately 300 at 15kts.

@EricVKX nice picture of the home field. Probably don't need to worry about snow to much but I bet the grass gets a little soft when it rains.

I have seen both left and right patterns and people appear to do whatever they want.
I suspect you mean both left and right to the same runway. Runway 14 is RIGHT traffic (that is, the patterns are always on the west side).

Does this count?
To improve my tailwheel skills, I have been landing on the 8 ft wide gravel strip between the edge of the runway and the runway lights.
No room for error.

I suspect you mean both left and right to the same runway. Runway 14 is RIGHT traffic (that is, the patterns are always on the west side).

Left, right, odd angles and straight in for runway 32 is what I have seen.

Radio work has been inconsistent.

The wind has always been blowing when I have landed there so I have not seen much traffic for runway 14.

It is my recollection that parking is at the far end of runway 32 at Harris Ranch Airport (3O8).

I flew in to Boone County when I first came to Indiana back in 92.....it not only isn't very wide, it has a ditch on one side (west). It wasn't in very good shape back then either.
I landed on a 20 ft wide dike in New Mexico to pick up a friend once. I was flying a 41 Tcraft and it was a little bit exciting. Wind was a little off but all went well. I had a lot of time in that little plane.

Frank

Hmm. 3 way tie: X23, X04, X21 all 60' wide. That's Umatilla (X23), Orlando Apopka (X04) and Dunn Airpark (X21)

Not very narrow.

Brennand 79C 2450' X 20'. It is now been repaved, and much improved. Back in the mid/late 90's they still had 80/87 Avgas, so we used to fly the cherokee 140 there to fill up. In those days the runway was asphalt/concrete in poor condition with a silo on the south approach end, and trees on the north end. Real fun to land at when all you had was about 10 hours of instruction :)

Seeing Pete post reminded me that I did land on a nominally 20' wide runway namely the glider strip at BDU. The edges are overgrown with grass so maybe effectively 15' or so.

You were training in civil aircraft at a federal airport?

When it was Naval Air Station Moffett Field, and had an aero club, and I was active duty Air Force stationed next door at Sunnyvale Air Force Station, yes.

Back