What is your favorite beer?

Jay, I volunteer at one of the premier beer festivals in the US right here in Madison. These events are set up as tasting events, where you can sample a variety of beers from various brewers. While the brewers get some money from the ticket sales it does not usually cover their costs, and the brewers threat these events like trade shows. the reason tickets are limited for these events is that we don't want to overburden the smalll breweries that attend.

Oktoberfest on the other hand is a giant version of the beer tent at the county fair. Each brewery charges (and it ain't chaep) for every beer.

The Great Taste of the Midwest here in Madison regularly sells out in 2-3 hours after tickets go on sale. In fact most people who get tickets end out camping out for them.

We do these things differently in America because we live in constant fear of litigation. Under the advice of a "risk manager", a "beer festival" becomes a "beer tasting", with extremely limited attendance.

If you've ever tried to organize a festival on city-owned land, you will understand exactly what I'm talking about. The state treats everyone like children, and they act accordingly.

Like I said -- it's embarrassing.

I agree with you to an extent Jay, but this is a tasting event that has been going on for over 25 years. It is designed to allow you to sample and enjoy many beers you otherwise wouldn't have the chance to. It is not the beer thent at the county fair, which is really what Oktober fest is.

The other problem is that with our stupid drinking laws and puritanical attitudes we have created a more binge drining oriented cuture in comparison with Europe in general. Granted there are still folks in Europe that drink to excess just to get wasted, but it's nor near to the same extent as it is here in the US. Especially in a college town.

I agree with you to an extent Jay, but this is a tasting event that has been going on for over 25 years. It is designed to allow you to sample and enjoy many beers you otherwise wouldn't have the chance to. It is not the beer thent at the county fair, which is really what Oktober fest is.

The other problem is that with our stupid drinking laws and puritanical attitudes we have created a more binge drining oriented cuture in comparison with Europe in general. Granted there are still folks in Europe that drink to excess just to get wasted, but it's nor near to the same extent as it is here in the US. Especially in a college town.

One thing I really like about Europe is their absolute drinking/driving laws. You get busted driving drunk, you will most likely lose your license for LIFE.

As a result, drinking is an "on-foot" affair, which is MUCH more civilized and pleasant. (This is one of the reasons we really enjoy living on the island -- our recommended "bar crawl" is ALL "on-foot".) No one is going to risk losing their driver's license for a good night at the bar.

I really enjoy beer tasting events (we used to attend one in Milwaukee each year that had over 100 different brews) -- although, quite frankly, after the first few brews it's impossible to tell much of anything other than "this one is light" or "this one is dark". Your palate turns to mud pretty quickly at one of those events.

I was never much of a beer drinker. I liked Heineken, or Moosehead, but only if I was really hot and thirsty and if they were ice cold.

Then a friend introduced me to Blue Moon, which is a beer I enjoy any time. I also really like Fat Tire.

Downtown Brown is the best beer ever (Lost Coast Brewing Company, makers of famous "Great White" beer), but a lot of Lagunitas beers are excellent. Russian River Brewing Company in Santa Rosa has wonderful beers made on site too.

Edit: Kona has some limited editions that are also wonderful.

And of course if you are made of money, nothing beats Chimay.

Cheers to Downtown Brown! Whenever I deal with difficult bosses, I drink Guiness at the end pf the day. =):rolleyes:

I have also heard that Kilkenny is excellent but until recently was hard to find here. I noted it's available at a new Irish Pub in the 'hood, so going to have to give it a try.

I was never much of a beer drinker. I liked Heineken, or Moosehead, but only if I was really hot and thirsty and if they were ice cold.

Then a friend introduced me to Blue Moon, which is a beer I enjoy any time. I also really like Fat Tire.

Blue Moon and Fat Tire are two of the most variable beers I've ever tasted. I don't know if they have a distribution problem, or what -- but sometimes Blue Moon is great, and the next time it's skunky. Same with Fat Tire.

Cheers to Downtown Brown! Whenever I deal with difficult bosses, I drink Guiness at the end pf the day. =):rolleyes:

Missed this post. Another Downtown Brown drinker! Are you in / near CA or does that brewing company distribute nation wide?

I like to try the local brews when I travel. Lakefront Brewery in Milwaukee is excellent with the Wheat Monkey for those who like wheat beer and a very tasty and hoppy IPA.

Atwater Brewery in Detroit wins the award for fun-to say beer with their Voodoo Vator Doppelbock.

Also like the Left Hand Brewing Company in CO. Their Sawtooth Ale is pretty good.

The fun is in trying something new!

Okay, now let's take this in a different direction:

Do you like lagers or ales better?

Just had Fat Tire for the first time. Pretty good stuff!

I like Alaskan Amber and Abita Amber in bottles. Although there are some days when you just gotta have a Bad Frog. :D

Attachments

• BADFROG-Shield-Logo2.gif
    BADFROG-Shield-Logo2.gif
    58.5 KB · Views: 1
Back