What is your favorite beer?

Second vote for Victory, but I prefer the Hop Devil or Hop Wallop. Hmmm... just a thought, but perhaps we could have a beer swap at Windwood? I'll put up a case of Hop Devil, anyone want to trade a six-pack or two?

Gary

I was thinking the same thing after I followed the link on Laurie's post (wondering if she can import for personal use), however I'm not sure it would be a "beer swap" so much as a "pot-luck". How much of the swap would end up making it home? :D

Last edited:
Hard to go wrong with anything from Stone Brewing.

arrogant+bastard.gif

I was thinking the same thing after I followed the link on Laurie's post (wondering if she can import for personal use), however I'm not sure it would be a "beer swap" so much as a "pot-luck". How much of the swap would end up making it home? :D

I brought two cases home with me last year. Gave one to my neighbor.

I'll give another vote for Spotted Cow. Last year I discovered a small micro-brewery in New Jersey. High Point Brewing Company. The best Oktoberfest beer I have ever had.

My wife's favorite beer is apparently very popular: New Belgium Brewing Fat Tire.

I like Magic Hat #9 Not Quite Pale Ale. Magic Hat is sort of the Ben and Jerrys of beer and is also located in Burlington Vermont. Another good beer is from a Michigan brewery Bell's Oberon Ale. I will occasionally drink a stronger beer like Founder's Brewery Dirty Bastard in the winter. In the summer when it is really hot Miller Lite is OK.

Suntory (Japanese) and San Miguel (Philippines). Haven't seen either in the U.S. for years.

Dave

Edit: Found San Miguel at Trader Joe's yesterday!

Last edited:

Probably not much :)

I'll be bringing some back this time since I'm flying home via Aztruck with Ted. It's too difficult to bring more than about a 6 pack home on the airlines due to baggage weight restrictions and breakage.

Arrogant Bastard is great stuff! As are the offerings from Bells, Dogfish Head, Flying Fish, Sly Fox, and Victory as mentione earlier. I really like Rogue Brewery Dead Guy Ale also, and there's a local place here that has it on tap.

dead-guy.jpg

Really Loving the Belgian beers right now, and I've become a bit of a sour beer geek.

Duchesse de Bourgonne, and Cuvee des Jacobins are currently my favorites in that style.

I tend to stay away from Spotted Crap err Cow, as there is so much beer here in WI that is better than that. Tyranena, Potosi, and O'So all make great beer.

At the Great Taste of the Midwest last week I had some Dark Lord Russian Imperial Stout from Three Floyds in Indiana that absolutely blew me away though.

I like Fat Tire when on tap, but I can't handle bottled for some reason.

Yuengling is good 'no special occasion' kind of beer.

There is also local "Jailhouse Brewery" that has a pretty good IPA.

99% of the time, though, it's Crown-n-Coke (or Dr. Pepper) for me. When ordered at Hoppy's, it's usually Crown and a splash of dishwater for color. ;)

I like Fat Tire when on tap, but I can't handle bottled for some reason.

Yuengling is good 'no special occasion' kind of beer.

There is also local "Jailhouse Brewery" that has a pretty good IPA.

99% of the time, though, it's Crown-n-Coke (or Dr. Pepper) for me. When ordered at Hoppy's, it's usually Crown and a splash of dishwater for color. ;)

Dishwater? That's it, I'm sticking to beer at Hoppy's. If they have it. Who knows what they have in MI - I heard they don't even have salads and everything is deep fried.

Attachments

• Pasty.jpeg
    Pasty.jpeg
    809 KB · Views: 4
Two years ago, since we were driving home, I got loaded up with excess beer and wine from Gaston's. Ended up with several bottles of Lazy Magnolia's Southern Pecan Nut Brown Ale that I believe Steve had brought with him from Mississippi.

That was some surprisingly good stuff, and I was sad when the last bottle was consumed.

Two years ago, since we were driving home, I got loaded up with excess beer and wine from Gaston's. Ended up with several bottles of Lazy Magnolia's Southern Pecan Nut Brown Ale that I believe Steve had brought with him from Mississippi.

That was some surprisingly good stuff, and I was sad when the last bottle was consumed.

Drinking beer makes me sad sometimes, too.

Second vote for Victory, but I prefer the Hop Devil or Hop Wallop. Hmmm... just a thought, but perhaps we could have a beer swap at Windwood? I'll put up a case of Hop Devil, anyone want to trade a six-pack or two?

Gary

Shelby has got it! Victory Hop Devil or Hop Wallop. I like hoppy beers and thus IPAs are one of my favorites but I also like many others. Asking ones favorite beer is like asking ones favorite plane There are just so many great different ones.

Favorite every day lawn mowing beer is Yeungling Lager

just so many good ones!

I've never understood the concept of being a beer connoisseur. I love beer and have been drinking it in copious amounts since I was about 13 but jeez, it's beer. We drink beer because we're NOT wine snobs. We drink it to get happy (referencing Ben Franklin) and we drink it because it's amazing it all it's forms and incarnations. Cold, warm, dark, light, imported, exported, ales, lagers, pilsners, whatever... I just don't get beer snobbery. What am I missing?

I've never understood the concept of being a beer connoisseur. I love beer and have been drinking it in copious amounts since I was about 13 but jeez, it's beer. We drink beer because we're NOT wine snobs. We drink it to get happy (referencing Ben Franklin) and we drink it because it's amazing it all it's forms and incarnations. Cold, warm, dark, light, imported, exported, ales, lagers, pilsners, whatever... I just don't get beer snobbery. What am I missing?

When I was first introduced to beer, it was "Bud, Miller, Pabst, Schlitz, Hamms". If we were really broke, it was "Old Milwaukee".

Then, I was introduced to Olympia and Coors, and the light went on. "Aha! Beer doesn't have to taste like dishwater!"

Then, Augsburger came along, and a new light went on. "Aha! Beer can have color and body!"

Then, Burghoff happened, and a new light went on. A local beer can have subtle flavors!

Then, in about 1981, a bar in Milwaukee (near my apartment) called "The Daily Planet" began offering a German beer called DAB on tap. My eyes were opened wide -- THIS was beer? OMG!

Then, about the same time, Randy Sprecher opened Sprecher Brewery in Milwaukee, and there was no turning back. Beer could have flavor, and subtle-yet-complex nuances.

Since then, I've made it a point to sample ever micro-brewed beer I could find. I've had hundreds of them, and liked most of them. ALL are better than anything mass-produced -- even the "bad" ones.

Throughout this lifelong process, another movement has taken place in parallel, but going in the exact OPPOSITE direction -- the "light beer" movement. While my friends and I were moving toward flavor, taste, and body, a huge segment of the beer drinking population was moving away from it.

I have never understood this crowd. But then, when I was a smoker, I couldn't fathom "low tar" cigarettes, either. What was the point?

So, to answer your question, it's not snobbery -- it's an acquired taste. Beer has become like bread -- available in dozens of flavors and textures. Given this fact, why limit yourself to Wonder Bread?

Still, on a really hot summer day, I will happily pound down a Miller Lite, and like it. It's not beer, any more than a Twinkie is "bakery" -- but it's still good.

That said, our current beer of choice is Shiner Bock. It's a great "every day" Texas beer -- not too heavy, and great served ICE cold. If fresh, it is quite tasty.

Still, if I could get fresh Sprecher Amber down here, I'd be drinking it. *sigh*

Is this thread leading towards a PoA meetup for the Great American Beer Festival here in DEN? ;)

Grew up in Golden and I hate Coors. Noticed they finally dropped the claim that they're using "Rocky Mountain Spring Water". Their water comes right out of the creek. Always has.

One of the things that used to kill me about Coors when I was going to school in CO was how much pollution they put in the water. Big joke was that everything up river from the brewery was 'clear rocky mountain water' but what Coors put back into it downstream was anything but.

Is this thread leading towards a PoA meetup for the Great American Beer Festival here in DEN? ;)

Dates?

I have always felt that the overall best brewing was done in CO with a couple of exceptions:

Shiner
Dos Equis
Kona Brewing (Longboard)

Franziskaner.
Or a good cider.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

What kind of a lame beer festival "sells out"? :dunno:

It's likely a crowd control thing. The event is massive. Any bigger and there wouldn't be enough law enforcement in the entire Front Range available to deal with the inevitable small percentage who don't know when to quit drinking and/or are sloppy/aggressive drunks. I bet they have a liquor licensing limit on number of tickets just to keep "Amateur Night" to a dull roar.

:yes: The one in my hand is most often is a Sam Adams Boston Lager or Summer Wheat.

We did a tour of the Sam Adams brewery a couple of years ago. My favorite Sam Adams is something called "Brickyard Red". Unfortunately, it is only available on tap in Boston bars - it was the company's way of giving back to the local bars that supported them during startup.

It's likely a crowd control thing. The event is massive. Any bigger and there wouldn't be enough law enforcement in the entire Front Range available to deal with the inevitable small percentage who don't know when to quit drinking and/or are sloppy/aggressive drunks. I bet they have a liquor licensing limit on number of tickets just to keep "Amateur Night" to a dull roar.

I like the way the Germans handle Oktoberfest.

Everyone gets a glass stein that probably weighs four pounds. You could drive a nail with it, or kill a man.

There is no trouble.

Inevitably, people have too much to drink. Rather than having them arrested, as we do, or, worse, letting them go home, the Germans simply have a big tent full of dozens of cots, where the inebriated masses can go sleep it off.

No harm, no foul -- and no trouble. Wake up in the morning feeling like crap, and off you go. It's so incredibly...civilized.

I turned 50 at Oktoberfest in 2008, with 4 MILLION drunk Germans. It was...amazing.

There's no such thing as "selling out" the world's biggest beer festival. The fact that we Americans can't handle such an event is...embarrassing.

Jay, I volunteer at one of the premier beer festivals in the US right here in Madison. These events are set up as tasting events, where you can sample a variety of beers from various brewers. While the brewers get some money from the ticket sales it does not usually cover their costs, and the brewers threat these events like trade shows. the reason tickets are limited for these events is that we don't want to overburden the smalll breweries that attend.

Oktoberfest on the other hand is a giant version of the beer tent at the county fair. Each brewery charges (and it ain't chaep) for every beer.

The Great Taste of the Midwest here in Madison regularly sells out in 2-3 hours after tickets go on sale. In fact most people who get tickets end out camping out for them.

Back