what is the mark on this altimeter?

\__[Ô]__/

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
david
An old altimeter in a glider I'm flying has a triangle mark (see picture). No one I've asked seems to know what it means. I've got a guess but I'm hoping someone here can tell me for sure.

alt.jpg

its kinda like the high score posted in pinball machines... Its the highest altitude ever attained in 10000s... if you move it to another plane it has to be reset...

That tells you which side of the plane the fuel cap is on

We have a winner!!

EWWdvQngcLt6g.gif

Looks like it displays the pressure altitude. Does it move when you change the altimeter setting?

I suspect it correlates with the other triangle just to the right of the window. Set it to 29.92 and see if they both read 0. QFE? The -900 (joke?) was actually close - looks like its reading -750.

No, that's not QFE. It shows how much to add or subtract to convert the indicated altitude to pressure altitude.

I didn't think it moved, but I poked at it again just now and it actual does move with the kollsman window (in my defense I sit in the back seat and can barely see any of the flight instruments let alone turn the knob). I thought the triangle to the right was just indicating where to read the kollsman setting. But it moves too. Just a weird coincidence that it happened to be lined up there when I looked at it.

I think it indicating value to add/subtract to get the pressure altitude is correct. Thanks folks.

Back